Windows 10: Can't enable Remote Desktop on a Windows 10 Pro computer joined to a Windows 2008 R2 domain...

Discus and support Can't enable Remote Desktop on a Windows 10 Pro computer joined to a Windows 2008 R2 domain... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; This problem seems to be associated with new user profiles. I'm starting to suspect corruption in my Active Directory.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by webben1, Apr 14, 2020.

1. webben1 Win User

Can't enable Remote Desktop on a Windows 10 Pro computer joined to a Windows 2008 R2 domain...

This problem seems to be associated with new user profiles. I'm starting to suspect corruption in my Active Directory.

:)

webben1, Apr 14, 2020
  2. iBBi Win User

Windows 10 Pro v1803 unable to join 2008/2003 Domain

Scenario:

Domain Controller 1 = Windows 2008 R2

Domain Controller 1 = Windows 2003 R2

• Domain Name = MYCOMPANY (Single Label Domain)
    • Functional Level > Windows Server 2003

Clients:
    Mix of Windows 7 Pro / Windows 10 > 100 qty

Recently we acquired licenses for Win 10 Pro (Downloaded Win 10 ver 1803). When we try to join W10 to domain, it gives error

Previous version of windows 10 are joined to domain properly. but only this new version 1803 is not able to join domain.

I can ping domain controller names via effected clients. nslookup working ok.

How can I track the issue? kindly advise.

3. changari Win User
    Raising the windows domain and forest issues?

hi,

I run a domain that was all 2003 r2 servers. I recently upgraded all my domain controllers to windows 2012 r2.
    That went off without any problems.. Our trust relationships had no issues also.

My first step was to raise the Domain and Forest levels past 2003 to 2008. This went off without a hitch.
    These are the features for raising the levels to 2008:

• Features and benefits include all default Active Directory features, all features from the Windows Server 2003 domain functional level, plus:
    • Read-Only Domain Controllers – Allows implementation of domain controllers that only host read-only copy of NTDS database.
    • Advanced Encryption Services – (AES 128 and 256) support for the Kerberos protocol.
    • Distributed File System Replication (DFSR) – Allows SYSVOL to replicate using DFSR instead of older File Replication Service (FRS). It provides more robust and detailed replication of SYSVOL contents.

Forest Level Windows Server 2008

• Features and benefits include all of the features that are available at the Windows Server 2003 forest functional level, but no additional features. All domains that are subsequently added to the forest will operate at the Windows Server 2008 domain functional level by default.

My next step is to raise the domain and forest to 2008 r2, then 2012, and finally 2012 r2. I have been trying to find out exactly what I could expect from raising the Domain and Forest for each step.

The step involving 2008 r2 seems relatively a non issue. But getting the couple of new features seem very nice

Domain Level Windows Server 2008 R2

• All default Active Directory features, all features from the Windows Server 2008 domain functional level, plus 2 new features

Forest Level Windows Server 2008 R2

• All of the features that are available at the Windows Server 2003 forest functional level, plus the following features:

• Active Directory Recycle Bin, which provides the ability to restore deleted objects in their entirety while AD DS is running. <== New Feature very cool
    • All domains subsequently added to the forest will operate at the Windows Server 2008 R2 domain functional level by default.

Here is my big concerns for the next raising of domain and forest to 2012.

Forest Level Windows Server 2012:

• All of the features that are available at the Windows Server 2008 R2 forest functional level, but no additional features.
    • All domains subsequently added to the forest will operate at the Windows Server 2012 domain functional level by default.

Domain Level Windows Server 2012 R2: <=====
    Need to investigate more and why this post

• DC-side protections for Protected Users. Protected Users authenticating to a Windows Server 2012 R2 domain can no longer:

• Authenticate with NTLM authentication <==============(what issues may arise)
    • Use DES or RC4 cipher suites in Kerberos pre-authentication
    • Be delegated with unconstrained or constrained delegation
    • Renew user tickets (TGTs) beyond the initial 4-hour lifetime

Will this affect my exchange anywhere users with remote access authenticating either clear of NTLM???
    and what would/may not to work properly day 1 when I raise the domain and forest to 2012. I cant really find anyone that can answer a straight question.

Has anyone gone through this? what problems did you have, if any , if a lot???

Any thoughts and suggestions will be much appreciated??

thanks

- - - Updated - - -

One more point... I am not sure if I posted this to the correct forum.. So if I was wrong and it should be in a different one..
    PLEASE LET ME KNOW

changari, Apr 14, 2020
  4. [Ion] Win User

Can't enable Remote Desktop on a Windows 10 Pro computer joined to a Windows 2008 R2 domain...

Free Windows Server 2008 (and 2008 R2) for students

Microsoft recently added Windows Server 2008 R2 to Dreamspark, so now Server 2008 and Server 2008 R2 are available for free to any student enrolled in a class at any of the universities on their list. Windows Server 2008 R2 can be converted so that it is like Windows 7, and Windows Server 2008 can be converted so that it is like Vista. I'm still running XP Pro, but only until I find a free antivirus program for server operating systems *Roll Eyes Can't enable Remote Desktop on a Windows 10 Pro computer joined to a Windows 2008 R2 domain... :rolleyes:

[Ion], Apr 14, 2020
Thema:

1. Can't enable Remote Desktop on a Windows 10 Pro computer joined to a Windows 2008 R2 domain... - Similar Threads - Can't enable Remote

2. windows 2008 r2 support

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 2008 r2 support: where do I go to get support on Window 2008 R2 server? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-2008-r2-support/baecdad6-66a3-42c7-9ec8-775be633fc6c
  3. Users can't change Password with windows 11 to the domain - windows server 2008 r2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Users can't change Password with windows 11 to the domain - windows server 2008 r2: HI ,Our users who tries to change their password with Windows 11 , get this message: "insufficient system resources exist to complate the requested service"Our windows server with the domain controller is windows server 2008 r2.This issue happen only with Windows 11....
  4. Users can't change Password with windows 11 to the domain - windows server 2008 r2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Users can't change Password with windows 11 to the domain - windows server 2008 r2: HI ,Our users who tries to change their password with Windows 11 , get this message: "insufficient system resources exist to complate the requested service"Our windows server with the domain controller is windows server 2008 r2.This issue happen only with Windows 11....
  5. Client cannot join domain domain Windows Server 2008 R2

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Client cannot join domain domain Windows Server 2008 R2: Hello Team,My customer have active directory on windows server 2008 R2- His windows server shutdown by electric power off- After Electric on then he start windows active directory on windows server 2008 R2- Normal the active directory - But new client unable to join the...
  6. Remote desktop to an Azure joined PC on corporate domain

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remote desktop to an Azure joined PC on corporate domain: Hello, I wondered if someone can help. I am trying to set up a remote worker, who will need to use a home PC to RDP into their work PC which is on a corporate LAN. I have everything set up and I can establish an RDP connection BUT I am unable to log in using "*** Email...
  7. Time synchronization for remote domain-joined computers

in Windows 10 Customization
    Time synchronization for remote domain-joined computers: We're oddly not finding good guidance for this situation elsewhere, nor even anyone asking questions about it, so I thought I'd ask here. We have company workstations joined to the local domain for the usual centralized control and policy administration purposes....
  8. Trying to Remote Control Server 2008 r2 using Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Trying to Remote Control Server 2008 r2 using Windows 10 Pro: Hi.... I'm struggling to take control of my Windows Server 2008 r2 using Windows 10 Pro. I can Remote Desktop Connect to the server, but it just seems to log me in as a new session - whereas I would like to take control of the mouse and keyboard of the existing users...
  9. Windows 10 (1809) Remote Desktop problem after joining domain

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 (1809) Remote Desktop problem after joining domain: Hi, I am current using Group Policy Management 6.0.0.1 (Server 2012) which controlling Windows 7 computers. When I change pilot PC to Windows 10 (1809) with using same GPO, the Windows 10 PC can remote others (such as Windows 7 PC, Windows Servers, etc), but it failed from...
  10. Window 10 Pro join Windows 2008 R2 Domain problem?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Window 10 Pro join Windows 2008 R2 Domain problem?: Hi all, We recently added some Win10 Pro PC to our office, but we have some problem after join our domain. Join domain looks ok, administrator account can login/access all functions at those Win10 Pro PC. But when we use normal user accounts on those Win10 PC, trouble...