Windows 10: Can't enable Ultrafast Boot in the BIOS, can't disable CSM in Boot

Discus and support Can't enable Ultrafast Boot in the BIOS, can't disable CSM in Boot in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have just finished installing everything on my new system and realized that I can't enable Ultrafast Boot in the BIOS. Every time I enable it, it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Genova, May 4, 2021.

1. Genova Win User

Can't enable Ultrafast Boot in the BIOS, can't disable CSM in Boot

I have just finished installing everything on my new system and realized that I can't enable Ultrafast Boot in the BIOS. Every time I enable it, it reverts to disabled. I'm using an NVM.e m.2 SSD (SK Hynix P31 Gold 1TB). Everything was set to UEFI during the installation process, but I did not have CSM disabled before I installed the operating system, which is Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. I think perhaps part of the problem was that I used a very old graphics card during the installation (nVidia 9800GT), as my processor has no integrated graphics, and I had not yet moved my normal GPU into my new system. But I was able to navigate the UEFI BIOS during the initial BIOS check, so that's probably not it. Now I have my more recent GPU attached and trying to enable UltraFast Boot in the ASRock Z590 Steel Legend 6E WiFi motherboard, but it's not working. Trying to disable CSM doesn't work--it keeps auto-reverting to enabled. Although CSM is effectively disabled, since "Launch Storage OpROM Policy" setting is UEFI Only. Trying to enable Ultrafast Boot doesn't work: it keeps auto-reverting to disabled. For reference, I'm using that m.2 SSD as my main drive and 1 WD Black 6TB WD6001FZWX storage HDD. I did not have the HDD connected when I did the Windows install--only the SSD. Isn't there Anything I can do about this without doing a complete reinstall? I've now installed so much software with activation codes, it's a major headache to do a complete reinstall.

:)

Genova, May 4, 2021
  2. Genova Win User

I have just finished installing everything on my new system and realized that I can't enable Ultrafast Boot in the BIOS. Every time I enable it, it reverts to disabled.

I'm using an NVM.e m.2 SSD (SK Hynix P31 Gold 1TB). Everything was set to UEFI during the installation process, but I did not have CSM disabled before I installed the operating system, which is Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. I think perhaps part of the problem was that I used a very old graphics card during the installation (nVidia 9800GT), as my processor has no integrated graphics, and I had not yet moved my normal GPU into my new system. But I was able to navigate the UEFI BIOS during the initial BIOS check, so that's probably not it.

Now I have my more recent GPU attached and trying to enable UltraFast Boot in the ASRock Z590 Steel Legend 6E WiFi motherboard, but it's not working. Trying to disable CSM doesn't work--it keeps auto-reverting to enabled. Although CSM is effectively disabled, since "Launch Storage OpROM Policy" setting is UEFI Only.

Trying to enable Ultrafast Boot doesn't work: it keeps auto-reverting to disabled.

For reference, I'm using that m.2 SSD as my main drive and 1 WD Black 6TB WD6001FZWX storage HDD. I did not have the HDD connected when I did the Windows install--only the SSD.

Isn't there Anything I can do about this without doing a complete reinstall? I've now installed so much software with activation codes, it's a major headache to do a complete reinstall.

Genova, May 5, 2021
  3. zbook Win User

According to this tutorial there are GPU requirements for ultrafast boot:
    Enable or Disable Fast Boot in UEFI Firmware Settings for Windows

Code:

zbook, May 5, 2021
  4. sygnus21 Win User

That's weird, especially for the R9 290X. I have a Sapphire R9 280X and it certainly supports UEFI.

Edit: I just thought of something. On you R9 290X is there a dual "BIOS" switch on the side of the card? Example this...

Can't enable Ultrafast Boot in the BIOS, can't disable CSM in Boot [​IMG]

Image source: AMD Radeon R9-290X review - Dual BIOS Switch Positions.

If so, try toggling positions. One side of the BIOS "may" include UEFI. That said, if there is such a switch, they are usually performance boost switches, but...

sygnus21, May 5, 2021
Thema:

1. Can't enable Ultrafast Boot in the BIOS, can't disable CSM in Boot - Similar Threads - Can't enable Ultrafast

2. I cant boot into bios after disabling CSM.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cant boot into bios after disabling CSM.: Hello! I try to enable Secure Boot so that I can play Valorant on Windows 11. When i want to enable it it tells me to "Disable CSM first". After i disabled CSM, when i try to enter bios, it shows up zoomed in and i cant move my mouse anywhere, its blocked. But if i dont press...
  3. I cant boot into bios after disabling CSM.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I cant boot into bios after disabling CSM.: Hello! I try to enable Secure Boot so that I can play Valorant on Windows 11. When i want to enable it it tells me to "Disable CSM first". After i disabled CSM, when i try to enter bios, it shows up zoomed in and i cant move my mouse anywhere, its blocked. But if i dont press...
  4. Disabling CSM and enabling secure boot makes my Boot drive disappear.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disabling CSM and enabling secure boot makes my Boot drive disappear.: Windows 11 upgrade requires I enable secure boot on my PC, it's main use is as a home Plex Server, It has an Intel 8700k and I just use the integrated graphics UHD 630, I don't need a discreet gpu for this. I believe W11 supports this.In the BIOS gigabyte z370 motherboard the...
  5. Disabling CSM and enabling secure boot makes my Boot drive disappear.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disabling CSM and enabling secure boot makes my Boot drive disappear.: Windows 11 upgrade requires I enable secure boot on my PC, it's main use is as a home Plex Server, It has an Intel 8700k and I just use the integrated graphics UHD 630, I don't need a discreet gpu for this. I believe W11 supports this.In the BIOS gigabyte z370 motherboard the...
  6. Disabling CSM and enabling secure boot makes my Boot drive disappear.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Can't boot into BIOS

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't boot into BIOS: Fast boot is turned off. Every time I boot there is no screen until the login screen, the screen remains in standby. Even mashing the keys to get into the BIOS leaves me on a dead screen or just ignores it and boots into Windows. submitted by /u/-EUROBEAT- [link]...
  8. CAN'T BOOT INTO BIOS

CAN'T BOOT INTO BIOS: Hi. I'm trying to reinstall Windows 10 to my Acer Aspire A515-52, running Windows 10, but I cannot Boot into the Bios, I tried repeatelly pressing the F2, F12 and even the delete Keys and nothing. Please help...
  9. Can't disable secure boot in bios/uefi

Can't disable secure boot in bios/uefi: I'm having trouble installing windows 10 on my new built. after asking a microsoft employee they told me to disable the secure boot. but for some reason there is no option for that, its either - Other OS - Windows UEFI mode what do i do? My mobo is a Asus Prime...
  10. Can't Boot into BIOS

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't Boot into BIOS: I've tried every suggestion I've found on the internet, but no luck... Windows 10 lastest update. MSI Gaming Pro Carbon board with Ryzen 7 1700, using Ryzen power plan. When I first built this board I turned off the annoying MSI BIOS splash screen on startup, and now I guess...