Windows 10: Cant enable Windows update service

Discus and support Cant enable Windows update service in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So guys, first I am an idiot for playing around with the registry. I know that. Please dont judge me :( I hope that I use the correct english Terms,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Krynee, Jun 29, 2020.

1. /u/Krynee Win User

Cant enable Windows update service

So guys, first I am an idiot for playing around with the registry. I know that. Please dont judge me Cant enable Windows update service :(

I hope that I use the correct english Terms, no native Speaker (thats why there are so many caps, because of Auto correct I cant turn off on my Office PC).

Last year when the fall update hit I had HARD Problems with my OS. So I did a Rollback and then disabled the update Service via registry.

How ? I am not 100% sure, but 99%. I turned it off in Services, then changed the ownership of the wu something key / folder in the registry to my personal account and changed the Access settings so that SYSTEM is not allowed to Change values there.

So fast Forward, I now want to use something from the Windows store and being the bullshit this Windows store is, it Need Windows update Service running to work and the apps there Need (for whatever reason) the new Windows build.

I remembered how I disabled it and went backwards. Changed the permissions in the registry and then changed the ownership back to System.

Update Service appeared back in the Service list and is set to autostart. However it does NOT autostart. If I try to start it manually it says "Access" denied.

I always tried it with CMD commands run as admin, Access denied.

I tried it with the Default admin win10 account, Access denied.

I tried running the Service Thing as admin, Access denied.

I dont know what else I could do :/

submitted by /u/Krynee
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Krynee, Jun 29, 2020
  2. AsRock Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Jun 29, 2020
  3. P4-630 Win User
    FIXED!! Windows 7 sp1 never ends searching for updates

Ok I did another reboot, disabled windows update service, did step 3 again, this time it installed an update, enabled windows update service and did a reboot and voila!! *Peace Cant enable Windows update service :peace:

Cant enable Windows update service 20160416_190650-jpg.jpg

P4-630, Jun 29, 2020
  4. W1zzard Win User

Windows 10 update being enabled.

My experience was that disabling Windows Update service works for a while until suddenly that service is magically enabled again and starts updating everything.

W1zzard, Jun 29, 2020
Thema:

1. Cant enable Windows update service - Similar Threads - Cant enable update

2. windows cant connect to update service

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows cant connect to update service: windows cant connect to update service, how to fix. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-cant-connect-to-update-service/fb6f5d18-5957-46e5-805e-da7e8be0b062
  3. windows cant connect to update service

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows cant connect to update service: windows cant connect to update service, how to fix. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-cant-connect-to-update-service/fb6f5d18-5957-46e5-805e-da7e8be0b062
  4. windows cant connect to update service

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Cant update gaming services

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cant update gaming services: my microsoft store keeps trying update the gaming services but everytime when update completes, it crashes xbox and update coming back on microsoft store and this happening every 30 seconds. i cant play any games from xbox because it keeps closing the xbox. On xbox when crash...
  6. I cant Enable my Windows Security Service in Services

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I cant Enable my Windows Security Service in Services: I want to Enable it but I Cant seem to press it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/i-cant-enable-my-windows-security-service-in/b761c461-e5a7-44e8-905c-008325c3eb4a
  7. Can't enable Windows Update services.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't enable Windows Update services.: So I recently bought a game on microsoft store, but it doesen't let me download it. It says I need to enable microsoft update services, yet however I tried, it just doesen't let me. I tried starting it from services.msc I tried from cmd as administrator net start wuauserv sc...
  8. Windows update services cannot be enabled

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows update services cannot be enabled: Windows update Service cannot be enabled. No matter how many times I enable it from the services it gets disabled by itself. submitted by /u/_saFal [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jk6b88/windows_update_services_cannot_be_enabled/
  9. Enabling windows update from services

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Enabling windows update from services: How to enable windows update media services ? and thewindows update settings is also changes automatically to disabled condition ,please help me to update my windows 10...
  10. Windows update service disabled and cannot enable it

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows update service disabled and cannot enable it: Trying to install App from Windows store but it need windows update to work. So i try start the services but when i changed the startup service it say access denied. I don't know why i can't enable it again. 113987