Windows 10: Can't enter UEFI

Discus and support Can't enter UEFI in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; ASUS ROG GL531GT-RS53 Windows 10 Pro sysinfo > Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041 winver > Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.746) (laptop purchased with Home,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by semperfidelis, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Can't enter UEFI

ASUS ROG GL531GT-RS53
    Windows 10 Pro
    sysinfo > Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041
    winver > Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.746)
    (laptop purchased with Home, paid for & upgraded to Pro)

Left the laptop running last night (just closed the lid - set to "do nothing") and when I woke up this morning and the screen wouldn't turn on. Display settings showed it as screen #1 and externals #2 and #3, but all settings for #1 were greyed out. After a reboot Win10 won't recognize the built-in screen at all, not even in Device Manager. There are no "unknown devices" in the manager.

Per some suggestions found online, I tried updating the BIOS. (Sysinfo does show BIOS Mode: UEFI.) I used the "myASUS" app selecting "BIOS Installer for Windows," but it doesn't do anything; after install and a reboot sysinfo still shows the same old BIOS (3/2020; I am trying to install 6/2020). I tried to use the myASUS "BIOS for ASUS EZ Flash Utility" (to use a USB drive), but I now have the classic "can't get to BIOS because my screen is broken" problem. Spamming (or holding, I tried both) F2, F8, F12, DEL did not work, either with factory keyboard and the lid open, USB keyboard with the lid closed immediately, or USB keyboard with lid closed all the time and using cmd "shutdown /r /fw /t 0." Nor does going through Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > Advanced Startup - Restart Now > Troubleshoot > advanced > UEFI > Restart. Hitting the Fn display key during the boot showed projector options on my external monitor, but no UEFI screen pops up, no matter which option I select. Everything I try just brings me to the Win10 login after thinking for a few seconds.

Also, Device Manager > Firmware > System Firmware now has a warning icon and properties say "This device cannot start. (Code 10) Indicates a revision number encountered or specified is not one known by the service. It may be a more recent revision than the service is aware of." It shows a driver date of 4/28/2020.

I popped off the under cover of the laptop and inspected the display cable for pinches, nicks, etc and found none. I have not had any problems with the screen before.

As an aside, other wonky stuff has been happening this week - sometimes the taskbar icons are unresponsive, or explorer windows hang up, or I get notifications of "explorer.exe class not registered." Malwarebytes didn't find anything.

I'm fairly tech savvy in my own opinion, but holy cow I'm glad I am not a mechanic or IT guy. Far too much murk to sift through. I punch the desk enough as it is.

:)

semperfidelis, Jan 30, 2021
  2. jmcslob Win User

2 x SSD Raid 0 - is this right?

Hey Fits

Can you list a few helpful hints for T ski ,maybe a step by step how to OR what to look out for*Cool Can't enter UEFI :cool:

jmcslob, Jan 30, 2021
  3. jmcslob Win User
    2 x SSD Raid 0 - is this right?

T ski b4 your done with this post can you list a step by step fix of what you did, I would appreciate it if you would...Thanks

jmcslob, Jan 30, 2021
  4. btarunr Win User

Can't enter UEFI

UEFI Forum Releases UEFI 2.3.1 Specification Update

The UEFI Forum has ratified an update to the UEFI 2.3.1 Specification that adds important firmware considerations and addresses numerous engineering change requests. The updated Specification will be referred to as “UEFI 2.3.1C”.
    • UEFI 2.3.1C adds: An OS Indications Variable - OS/FW feature & capability communication – when implemented, allows end-users to make an OS menu request to enter BIOS setup after next reboot.
    • UEFI 2.3.1C adds: A mechanism which, when implemented, facilitates Open Source Operating System installations and OS- agnostic end-user configurations of retaining the factory default keys while in Setup Mode (see Specification for full technical detail of Setup Mode).
    • UEFI 2.3.1C removes: Runtime driver requirement on Network UNDI drivers - this allows UNDI drivers to be delivered in EFI Byte Code (EBC) Virtual Machine format supporting systems based on different processor architectures.
    Complete details on UEFI 2.3.1C are available here.

The UEFI Forum’s UTWG (UEFI Test Working Group) is currently working on updating the SCT (Self-Certification Tests) to align with the latest spec changes. Please see www.uefi.org for more updates.

UEFI Summer Summit Interoperability & Education Event:
    Specification Update Benefits Windows 8 & Open Source OS Implementations Microsoft to Host UEFI Summer Summit, July 16-20, 2012 in Redmond, WA

The UEFI Testing Work Group (UTWG) and the UEFI Industry Communications Work Group (ICWG) from the Unified EFI (UEFI) Forum invite you to register for the upcoming UEFI Summer Summit: An Interoperability and Education Workshop being held this July at the Microsoft Campus in Redmond, WA.
    • Hosted by Microsoft, the event is sponsored by AMD, AMI, HP, Insyde, Intel, Microsoft & Phoenix.
    • Online registration for the UEFI Summer Summit can be found at here and here. Please note registration is scheduled to close on July 9th.
    The organizers specifically wish to encourage add-in card vendors to attend the Summit. This is the last planned Forum-sponsored opportunity to test Secure Boot functionality and the interoperability of cards with UEFI-compliant systems for 2012. With the serious industry interest in Secure Boot functionality, this Summit is an excellent opportunity to test interoperability, as well as discuss the technology with other industry members.

btarunr, Jan 30, 2021
Thema:

Can't enter UEFI

1. Can't enter UEFI - Similar Threads - Can't enter UEFI

2. Can't boot in UEFI

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't boot in UEFI: I purchased a MSI motherboard B550M with an AMD Ryzen processor. Installed everything and then tried to boot my PC. It would not boot in UEFI mode only in CSM. After updating the bios as told by the MB manufacturer, same problem. So then I went into the Windows...
  3. Can't boot in UEFI

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't boot in UEFI: I purchased a MSI motherboard B550M with an AMD Ryzen processor. Installed everything and then tried to boot my PC. It would not boot in UEFI mode only in CSM. After updating the bios as told by the MB manufacturer, same problem. So then I went into the Windows...
  4. Can't boot in UEFI

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Unable to enter UEFI mode to change BIOS settings.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to enter UEFI mode to change BIOS settings.: Hello,I have recently been trying to restart my computer and boot into UEFI mode so I can access the BIOS settings of my computer, but I am always unable to do so. I am always able to get to the point of restarting and selecting the UEFI mode, but it never actually opens it....
  6. Unable to enter UEFI mode to change BIOS settings.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to enter UEFI mode to change BIOS settings.: Hello,I have recently been trying to restart my computer and boot into UEFI mode so I can access the BIOS settings of my computer, but I am always unable to do so. I am always able to get to the point of restarting and selecting the UEFI mode, but it never actually opens it....
  7. Unable to enter UEFI mode to change BIOS settings.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Can't enter BIOS/UEFI or boot from a device

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't enter BIOS/UEFI or boot from a device: Hello! There is a frustrating situation on my new laptop Lenovo ideapad 3, any help would be much appreciated. I starterd a clean install of Windows 10, booted from USB, and in the setup I deleted all the existing partitions (which is my primary suspect for the cause of...
  9. Can't boot uefi

Can't boot uefi: Hello, Recently I helped a friend with upgrading to an SSD and installed Windows 10 Pro. I used a custom .iso and burned it using Rufus gpt. I set the computer to boot uefi, disabled secure boot. The computer worked perfectly, however after sometime they started getting a...
  10. Enter the UEFI...what now

Enter the UEFI...what now: I'm grateful (Shawn) for the How To on entering the UEFI...but once I'm in there, if there is even the slightest confusion, I won't be able to come back here and ask. Could we have a couple of screen shots of what the options are going to be? And how to action the one I...