Windows 10: Can't expand my primary drive.

Discus and support Can't expand my primary drive. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I recently transferred my data from SSD to SSD one being 250G and to one being 500G this caused my primary drive to be at 210G like on the original... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Logan_D, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Logan_D Win User

Can't expand my primary drive.

I recently transferred my data from SSD to SSD one being 250G and to one being 500G this caused my primary drive to be at 210G like on the original 250G drive. I cant expand the drive, when i hover over expand it it gray and i can not click on it. I looked at the post "Unable to extend C drive" and it kinda worked for me until it was a system/Boot file i would have to delete. Can't expand my primary drive. c2bd4c47-bbe0-4cbe-b05b-0d5b2cd44fb0?upload=true.jpg

In order for me to be able to get access to the 254 unallocated data i need to move the Healthy EFI System partition. I you have any tips or ways to solve my problem let me know and thank you for your time.

:)

Logan_D, Jan 11, 2020

2. Expanding a Primary Partition in windows 10

Hello Richard,

We regret for the inconvenience. Let me assist you with few useful information from here.

Now, before we proceed, there are a few things we need to look into which can help us to resolve the issue.

Firstly, there may be an unmovable file in the middle of the partition (probably an important Windows file that's in use), which is not allowing the resizing of the volume. So, try to perform a defragmentation of the drive and check if it
    allows.

Follow the below steps.

• Sign in to your Windows 10 computer with an administrator account. It is important to use an administrator account because standard account holders cannot defrag the hard disk drive.
    • Click the Start button.
    • From the left pane of the Start menu, click File Explorer.
    • On the opened window, from the navigation pane in the left, expand the
      This PC tree.
    • From the expanded list, right-click Local Disk (C: ) or any other partition on which Windows 10 is installed.
    • From the context menu, click Properties.
    • On the opened Local Disk (C: ) Properties box, go to the Tools tab.
    • From the displayed interface, under the Optimize and defragment drive section, click the
      Optimize button.
    • On the Optimize Drives box, from the displayed list, ensure that the system drive (C: in this example) is selected.
    • Click the Analyze button from below the list.
    • Wait until Windows completes the analysis and displays the percentage of the fragmented files in the selected drive.

Note: If there are no fragmented files in the drive, Windows displays a message box stating that the disk does not need to be defragmented.

Secondly, if the number of bad clusters detected by dynamic bad-cluster remapping is too high, you cannot shrink the partition. So, try to perform a disk check and see if it helps.

To begin the scan, right-click on the Drive which you wish to check and select
    Properties. Next, click on Tools tab and under
    Error checking, click on the Check button. This option will check the drive for file system errors. If the system detects that there are errors, you will be asked to check the disk.

Kindly keep us posted on the status of the issue. If the issue still persists, we would be happy to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Jan 11, 2020
  3. W1zzard Win User
    W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Jan 11, 2020
  4. tengeezer Win User

How to view 2nd drive?

Nope, not listed.

About half an hour ago I checked to see whether it's faulty, so ran it as a primary drive in AHCI mode. Win10 installed perfectly, in just a few minutes. So drive is fine.

tengeezer, Jan 11, 2020
Thema:

1. Can't expand my primary drive. - Similar Threads - Can't expand primary

2. No D drive and can't expand C drive. E cannot be renamed to D

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No D drive and can't expand C drive. E cannot be renamed to D: My hard drive died last year and replaced it with a 2TB SSD. My IT guy did the install, but he's always been very good, so not sure what happened to cause the D drive to disappear. I want to install a fresh, web downloaded copy of W10, but the system says there's not enough...
  3. No D drive and can't expand C drive. E cannot be renamed to D

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No D drive and can't expand C drive. E cannot be renamed to D: My hard drive died last year and replaced it with a 2TB SSD. My IT guy did the install, but he's always been very good, so not sure what happened to cause the D drive to disappear. I want to install a fresh, web downloaded copy of W10, but the system says there's not enough...
  4. Expanding C: drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Expanding C: drive: Hi,I am running out of space on my C: Drive-and I have tried and searched the internet wisdom, but all answers apply to cases where everything is on the same diskI have 2 separate discs that's how computer came with my purchase-It seems I cannot move allocated partition from...
  5. Changing my D drive to the primary ?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Changing my D drive to the primary ?: Hi there, My c drive is used to boot and has all Windows related on it. My D drive is 1tb and need it to be the default drive. Any help? [img] 172289
  6. Expanding volume of my C drive

Expanding volume of my C drive: My C drive is full. I have an empty D drive. I have a ton of unallocated space behind the D drive. Has anyone figured out how to get the unallocated storage into my C drive? I tried to delete the D drive, but that isn't allowed. I'm about at wit's end here and would...
  7. Can't expand it. Help.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't expand it. Help.: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/JVints [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/end7fk/cant_expand_it_help/
  8. How To Expand C Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How To Expand C Drive: I would like to expand my C drive ... all I need is an extra 8 GB. :) I can delete the New Volume (and recreate it) but that does not give me the option to expand my C drive. I have attempted to use Easeus to no avail. Any other suggestions? Thanks! [ATTACH]...
  9. Primary drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    Primary drive: After installing windows 10 from a usb stick (legal from microsoft) my desktop starts up from USB only. If i remove the stick, start up leaves me with a black screen. I want my desktop to start up from the intern HD. How to change that ?...
  10. Unable to merge or expand my system drive

Unable to merge or expand my system drive: Hello, On my laptop I have a 1 TB HDD and on that drive the usable space was formatted into 2 separate partitions. This doesn't work well for me and I would prefer to have just one partition with all of the usable space. So I've tried everything I can think of and for some...