Windows 10: Can't Extend C: Drive Volume

Discus and support Can't Extend C: Drive Volume in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I just replaced my hard drive with a 2TB Seagate and need to expand the storage volume to take advantage of newly available space. The drive is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Dandydon, Aug 19, 2021.

1. Dandydon Win User

Can't Extend C: Drive Volume

I just replaced my hard drive with a 2TB Seagate and need to expand the storage volume to take advantage of newly available space. The drive is formatted as NTFS and I signed on as Administrator, but the Extend Volume option is grayed out. Q: How can I expand the C: drive volume?

:)

Dandydon, Aug 19, 2021

2. OS (CCan't Extend C: Drive Volume :) Drive - Extending the Volume

I've recently purchased a new laptop and came across a problem regarding the storage volume. It seems there's an arbitrary partition where C: drive has 100GB allocated and the remaining 900GB+ is unallocated. When I tried to extend the volume of C: to include
    the 900GB, the option to extend the volume was grayed out and unusable.

Unfortunately, I just don't know enough to figure out why all that space is unallocated and why I can't extend the volume of the C: drive. Searching for the answer yielded a lot of suggestions for third-party software, but I'd like to avoid that solution
    if possible. Are there any other options?

Raseleanne, Aug 19, 2021
  3. Anwille Win User
    extend c drive storage space

Hi, I'm , an Independent Advisor.

Disk Management is a Windows built-in tool that supports to increase partition size with its "Extend Volume" feature. However, the program has some limitations in increasing disk space:

- Extend Volume only works on NTFS and RAW partition. FAT32 and other file systems are not supported.

- The Extend Volume will grey out if there is no adjacent unallocated space behind the target partition.

So, the ways to increasing C drive with or without adjacent unallocated space are different. Open the Disk Management, and follow the right tutorials listed below to extend the local disk C drive on your own now:

#1. Increase C Drive Space with Adjacent Unallocated Space

Step 1. Right-click This PC/My Computer, click "Manage", select "Disk Management" under Storage.

Step 2. Locate and right-click on the local disk C drive, and choose "Extend Volume".

Step 3. Set and add more space to your system C drive and click "Next" to continue.

Step 4. Click "Finish" to complete the process.

Note that if that unallocated space on your system disk is not behind the C drive, you can't extend C drive in Disk Management.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can help you further!

Anwille, Aug 19, 2021
  4. Can't Extend C: Drive Volume

How To extend C Drive Volume

Hey Microsoft Community,

I am Unable to Extend C drive Volume

zubairsaif, Aug 19, 2021
Thema:

Can't Extend C: Drive Volume

1. Can't Extend C: Drive Volume - Similar Threads - Can't Extend Drive

2. Can't extend C Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't extend C Drive: I have a device with windows 11 and tried to organize the file by splitting the Drive to C Drive for programs and such things while have D Drive for managing daily files. After making the first spilt I discovered the size of C drive are too small. I have tried several time to...
  3. Can't extend C Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't extend C Drive: I have a device with windows 11 and tried to organize the file by splitting the Drive to C Drive for programs and such things while have D Drive for managing daily files. After making the first spilt I discovered the size of C drive are too small. I have tried several time to...
  4. Extend Volume C

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Extend Volume C: So I reinstalled Windows and the problem I'm having is the unallocated space I have now see image, used to be recovery space, since the reinstall that was no longer the case. I couldn't figure out how to set it up as a recovery partition again.I now either want to extend my C...
  5. C drive storage extend volume

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C drive storage extend volume: I want to add more space in c drive from unallocated memory but I can't see the option. I also tried to use Mini Tool Partition wizard but no option available to extend the memory. Kindly advise me....
  6. Extend Volume C Drive

Extend Volume C Drive: Hi i was able to shrink my D Drive storage volume. but, when I want to extend my C Drive, it is GREYED out. I can't select it. Anyone can help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/extend-volume-c-drive/58720e3a-eb98-462e-8e6c-a559bb97fdc8
  7. Extend Volume C:

Extend Volume C:: My C: partition is full and Will not extend through Disk Management. Windows 10 operation system is located on C: and will not update because the drive is full. I am able to shrink my 1 terabyte D: drive but cannot expand C:. Is it possible to move the Windows 10 operating...
  8. extending the volume of C drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    extending the volume of C drive: Inspite following the instruction of extending drives, i still find to have trouble doing the same. i want to extend the volume of c drive which is consuming 106.09 gb and i find difficult to install updates for windows..please help me resolve thi issue. with regards SID...
  9. Extending volume on C drive on laptop

Extending volume on C drive on laptop: I am trying to expand the volume on my C drive. I was able to shrink the volume on my external hard drive with no problems but it won't let expand the C drive. I need to download the Windows update and can't without more storage. I've moved everything I can to my USB stick....
  10. Extend C: drive volume

Extend C: drive volume: Hi, I need some help trying to extend my C: drive volume. I removed the volume that had my Ubuntu because I don't need it anymore and I want Windows to have 1TB, not 500GB. This is what Disk Management looks like for me: [ATTACH]When I try to extend the C: volume, the option...