Windows 10: Can't figure out how to allocate unallocated space to my D drive

Discus and support Can't figure out how to allocate unallocated space to my D drive in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Please excuse my lack of knowledge when it comes to the terminology. Hello, I recently bought a 2 TB SSD (Samsung Evo Plus 970) and tried to clone... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/AaronUnsal, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Can't figure out how to allocate unallocated space to my D drive

Please excuse my lack of knowledge when it comes to the terminology.

Hello, I recently bought a 2 TB SSD (Samsung Evo Plus 970) and tried to clone the data from my other SSD. The cloning seems successful as far as I know since data conversion wasn't lossy (256 GB --> 2 TB, eh) and I didn't get any errors.

However, the trouble began when I dabbled with the partitions. Since the data was only ~256 GB, it only allocated the same amount of space as from my old SSD. I have around 1.6 TB of unallocated space. Well, just extend the volume of the D: drive, no? Sadly, I can't seem to get it to work. Whenever I try to do that, it converts the drive into a dynamic one (from basic) and I get the error "there is not enough space on the disk to complete this operation while extending." I'm not too familiar with this stuff, albeit I'm a programmer. It seems that there are some 3rd party apps that help with this, but I'm in no situation to afford that.

I hope that there is a way to fix this without using those. I own a Dell laptop if that helps and, of course, it runs on Windows 10. Thank you in advance.

submitted by /u/AaronUnsal
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/AaronUnsal, Nov 30, 2020

2. Unallocated Space to C Drive

Thanks

realtravisbrown92, Nov 30, 2020
  3. Ruz San Win User
    Unallocated Space to C Drive

Hi Travis,

It appears that a disk partition was created but was never assigned its allocation. Assuming there are no files stored in the unallocated partition, perform these steps to combine it with your C: drive:

• In Disk Management, right-click on (CCan't figure out how to allocate unallocated space to my D drive :) which appears next to the
      Unallocated partition.
    • Select Extend.

Let us know if you're able to combine the spaces after following the steps above.

Regards.

Ruz San, Nov 30, 2020
  4. Can't figure out how to allocate unallocated space to my D drive

Unallocated Space on drive.... Help.

Hi Jakeh,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community. Let me assist you.

"Extend Volume" option under Disk Management tool is only available when there is contiguous unallocated space behind the volume you want to extend. As here is no unallocated space after the C partition drive, so extend volume greyed
    out.

Therefore we need an unallocated place on the right of the goal partition (drive: C), theoretically we should shrink volume D for unallocated space, but you will find you could only create an unallocated space behind drive: D, not drive: C, unless
    you could move the unallocated space or you could only make drive: D become unallocated place (delete drive: D) but this way may lead all your data in drive: D get loss, of course you could create a new partition and copy drive: D in it.

Data loss Warning:

Converting a hard disk partition or volume from NTFS to FAT32 requires that you reformat the partition, which deletes any data on it. Be sure to back up any data you want to keep before you begin.

I can understand you want to add the unallocated space to the (CCan't figure out how to allocate unallocated space to my D drive :) drive on the computer. For doing so, you have to first add the Unallocated space (31.51 GB) to the drive (JCan't figure out how to allocate unallocated space to my D drive :)
    and then try adding it to the (CCan't figure out how to allocate unallocated space to my D drive :) drive. Try the below steps and check if it helps.

Steps:-

1. Right click on the
    System Reseved (JCan't figure out how to allocate unallocated space to my D drive :) drive and click on Extend Volume.

2. Keep clicking Next
    and follow the on screen instructions.

3. The Unallocated space will be added to (JCan't figure out how to allocate unallocated space to my D drive :)
    drive.

4. Now, right click on (JCan't figure out how to allocate unallocated space to my D drive :) drive and click on
    Format.

5. Right click on the (JCan't figure out how to allocate unallocated space to my D drive :) drive again and select
    Delete Volume.

6. Now (JCan't figure out how to allocate unallocated space to my D drive :) drive shall be shown as
    Unallocated space.

7. Finally, right click on the (CCan't figure out how to allocate unallocated space to my D drive :)
    drive and select Extend Volume.

8. Keep clicking on Next and follow the on screen instructions.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Pawan Dhondiyal, Nov 30, 2020
Thema:

Can't figure out how to allocate unallocated space to my D drive

1. Can't figure out how to allocate unallocated space to my D drive - Similar Threads - Can't figure allocate

2. Can't extend C drive with unallocated space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't extend C drive with unallocated space: I have a problem with extending the space on my C drive, I've already tried using Disk Management and I've also watched videos on Youtube. I noticed that the D drive and C drive were on the same disk on every video and that mine were on different drives. I feel like I've made...
  3. I'm unable to allocate space in c drive. There is no unallocated space in C drive and I...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I'm unable to allocate space in c drive. There is no unallocated space in C drive and I...: I need to extend space in my c drive but under disk management, there is no unallocated space. When I try to shrink volume, I don't know what number to be added there. Kindly guide me how to resolve these issues....
  4. I'm unable to allocate space in c drive. There is no unallocated space in C drive and I...

I'm unable to allocate space in c drive. There is no unallocated space in C drive and I...: I need to extend space in my c drive but under disk management, there is no unallocated space. When I try to shrink volume, I don't know what number to be added there. Kindly guide me how to resolve these issues....
  5. Can't extend D: Drive, but I have unallocated space.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't extend D: Drive, but I have unallocated space.: I have unallocated space, but when I right click D Drive, extend volume is greyed out, need help! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-extend-d-drive-but-i-have-unallocated-space/2d43f476-6013-4b2c-9924-b98c7d230ce3
  6. Can't extend D: Drive, but I have unallocated space.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't extend D: Drive, but I have unallocated space.: I have unallocated space, but when I right click D Drive, extend volume is greyed out, need help! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-extend-d-drive-but-i-have-unallocated-space/2d43f476-6013-4b2c-9924-b98c7d230ce3
  7. Can't extend D: Drive, but I have unallocated space.

8. Recovery Drive D: out of space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recovery Drive D: out of space: I've been getting a note that Drive D; is running out of space. When I select Drive D: the only option is Help. I reduced Drive C: by 5GB but can't expand Drive D: Disk Management shows 260 MB Healthy Ef, WIndows C: 909.98 GB, 4.88 GTB Unallocated, 980 MB Healthy Recov,...
  9. How can D drive space can be allocated to C drive for expanding C drive?

How can D drive space can be allocated to C drive for expanding C drive?: How can D drive space can be allocated to C drive for expanding C drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-d-drive-space-can-be-allocated-to-c-drive/8fd8aaa9-0237-4457-b437-1ef89a970827"
  10. Unable to allocate or merge the unallocated disk space

Unable to allocate or merge the unallocated disk space: i installed ubuntu with windows like in a dual boot setup after sometime i didn't required it so i deleted ubuntu and removed the dual boot... now when i try to reclaim the partition of around 45 GB to be used for ubuntu i am neither able to merge it with my main data drive...