Windows 10: Can't figure out why laptop running Windows 10 is only device with unreliable connection on...

Discus and support Can't figure out why laptop running Windows 10 is only device with unreliable connection on... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I live in an apartment complex associated with a university and use the university WiFi. Other devices running different operating systems e.g.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by alex_8642, May 16, 2020.

1. alex_8642 Win User

Can't figure out why laptop running Windows 10 is only device with unreliable connection on...

I live in an apartment complex associated with a university and use the university WiFi. Other devices running different operating systems e.g. smartphone, roommate's laptop work on the WiFi network with no issues, but my laptop, a 2017 Dell XPS running Windows 10, simply put just doesn't work very well on this specific network. It disconnects every time the computer goes to sleep, and upon waking up, often spends about 1 minute "connected" but with "no internet" before finally sending through data. Sometimes it randomly drops the connection in a way that doesn't happen on other devices.

It surprises me how sometimes it can support what I would expect to be high-data operations like videoconferences without much issue, but then it won't do other things like connect to servers for multiplayer online games that don't seem particularly data-intensive e.g. Settlers of Catan at colonist.io, jackbox games through Steam --- not real-time action-style games. When I try to connect at places like this, I get messages like "check your internet connection". This happens on both Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome.

Importantly, it seems to be isolated to this WiFi network as I do not see similar behavior when the laptop is connected to other networks. This has been happening for at least a year on this WiFi network and the same behavior happens in different buildings on campus whenever I connect to this network. I have updated drivers and run troubleshooters as suggested by other questions I've seen online, but nothing I've tried has worked and nothing I have discovered has been able to explain the paradox of why every other device works on this network, and this device works on every other network. Any advice on why this might be and how to fix it would be greatly appreciated!

:)

alex_8642, May 16, 2020
  2. Marie Ave Win User

I could not able to connect any Andriod device to my laptop

Hi Karhtik,

The challenge that you experience when trying to connect your mobile phone to your laptop is due to a possible outdated drivers. For us to better assist you with your concern, we'd like to know the following details:

• Which version of Windows 10 are you currently running? To see which version of Windows 10 is installed on your PC, click on the Start button and then select Settings.
      In Settings, select System > About.
    • Were there any changes made on your laptop prior to the issue?

For initial troubleshooting, we suggest that you run the Hardware and Device troubleshooter.

• To do this, type in the search bar on the task bar Troubleshooter
      and hit Enter.
    • Click on Hardware and Sound, then under Device
      > Hardware and Devices. Note that you may be ask to enter your admin username and password to start the process.

If there were no errors found or any issues to fix by the troubleshooter, we suggest that you update the driver.

• Right-click on Start button then select Device Manager.
    • Go to Other Devices then select MTP. Right-click on the device then click on
      Properties.
    • Click on the Driver tab then click on Update Driver.

If the issue still persist after performing the steps above, we suggest that you follow the troubleshooting methods below:

Method 1: Uninstall the driver and then restart your laptop.

• Right-click on the parent device, then select Uninstall device. To restart your laptop, select the
      Start button > Power > Restart.

Before your laptop restarts, you might temporarily lose the connection to other devices. For example, you might temporarily lose the connection to other USB devices.

After your laptop restarts, Windows will automatically install the default driver.

Method 2: Download an updated driver from the laptop's manufacturers' website, and then install it manually.

• Right-click the parent device, then select Update driver >
      Browse my computer for driver software
      and then find the driver you downloaded on your laptop.

You can also check other troubleshooting steps provided by Iheanyi in this
    thread.

Update us with the results and let us know if you need further assistance.

Marie Ave, May 16, 2020
  3. Setup incomplete because of a metered connection windows 10 / Bluetooth Device / LTE Connection

Hi Francine,

To help you resolve your concern, kindly follow these steps:

Method 1: Run Network troubleshooting.

• On the search bar type “Troubleshooting”
    • Click “Network and Internet”
    • Click “ Network Adapter” and
      run the troubleshooter
    If issue persist, I suggest you to follow method 2.

Method 2: Update Network Adapter and check.

Follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Device Manager.
    • Expand Network Adapter.
    • Right click the driver and select Update.

If issue still persist, I suggest you to follow
    method 3

Method 3: Connect to Bluetooth devices and

Fix network connection issues in Windows 10

Do let us know if you need further assistance.

Raymond Ave, May 16, 2020
  4. Can't figure out why laptop running Windows 10 is only device with unreliable connection on...

Laptop no longer charging since Windows 10 update

If the laptop works without the battery then charger is functioning correctly. Take a cloth with a bit of rubbing alcohol on it (or some on-the-go alcohol swabs), and clean the metal contacts that connect your battery to your laptop.

Make sure to install all Windows important updates.

Install latest versions of your laptop device drivers you can download the latest device drivers from the device manufacturer or from your laptop manufacturer website.

Step 1

1. Shutdown your laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Connect the AC power adapter to your laptop.

4. Power on the laptop

5. Open the Device Manager by typing Devmgmt.msc into Start Menu or from Control Panel.

6. Under the Batteries category, right-click all of the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listings, and select Uninstall (it’s ok if you only have 1).

Can't figure out why laptop running Windows 10 is only device with unreliable connection on... pbDp4sx.png

7. Shutdown the laptop.

8. Insert the battery.

9. Power on the laptop.

If above suggestions wont resolve the battery charge issue then follow below steps.

Step 2

1. Shutdown the laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Start the laptop with only AC adapter connected to laptop.

4. When you login to Windows OS connect the battery while Windows OS working.

Step 3

Reset the System Management Controller. Use one of these methods to reset the SMC, which controls battery management, battery status light.

1. Shut down the computer and disconnect the power cord.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Press and hold the power button for ten seconds.

4. Reattach the battery and AC power adapter, then start up the laptop.

Hopefully one of the above suggestions will help you resolve the battery not charging problem. If battery still doesn't charge, you may need to replace your battery.

FreeBooter, May 16, 2020
Thema:

Can't figure out why laptop running Windows 10 is only device with unreliable connection on...

1. Can't figure out why laptop running Windows 10 is only device with unreliable connection on... - Similar Threads - Can't figure why

2. why can't i figure this out?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why can't i figure this out?: i bought a copy of windows 11 from Microsoft's website, but when i installed it it just gave me a better version of windows 10. i can't figure it out thru the updates section either. what am i missing or forgetting?...
  3. why can't i figure this out?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why can't i figure this out?: i bought a copy of windows 11 from Microsoft's website, but when i installed it it just gave me a better version of windows 10. i can't figure it out thru the updates section either. what am i missing or forgetting?...
  4. can't figure out!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    can't figure out!: Hello, it seems i can't locate the right site for my rog strix z490-h gaming from asus. If someone friendly and knowledgeable enough to help me find it, i would be really happy. Is there a failsafe way to find for any motherboard, i would be relieved to know it too,Best...
  5. can't figure out!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can't figure out!: Hello, it seems i can't locate the right site for my rog strix z490-h gaming from asus. If someone friendly and knowledgeable enough to help me find it, i would be really happy. Is there a failsafe way to find for any motherboard, i would be relieved to know it too,Best...
  6. can't figure out!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Windows 10 keeps crashing with "CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT" but can't figure out why

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 keeps crashing with "CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT" but can't figure out why: Sometimes, my Windows 10 PC with an RTX 3080 GPU and Intel 9th-Gen CPU can stay on without problem for days, then every now and then, but regularly, it can blue screen and crash with the error CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT.This time, I managed to find the error in the Event...
  8. Continuous crashes can't figure out why

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Continuous crashes can't figure out why: Recently my laptop keeps crashing whenever I try to do something normal on it... sometimes it crashes suddenly after logging in and sometimes I can use it for like 4-8 hours in a stretchI tried searching on the event logs and couldn't find anything which points towards the...
  9. Laptop Windows 10 is only device with unreliable connection on WiFi network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Laptop Windows 10 is only device with unreliable connection on WiFi network: I live in an apartment complex associated with a university and use the university WiFi. Other devices running different operating systems e.g. smartphone, roommate's laptop work on the WiFi network with no issues, but my laptop, a 2017 Dell XPS running Windows 10, simply put...
  10. Can't figure out what version of Windows 10 I'm running

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't figure out what version of Windows 10 I'm running: Title says it. I've tried 3 methods from Google and none showed the version number 148980