Windows 10: Can't find chkdsk to fix a bad thumb drive

Discus and support Can't find chkdsk to fix a bad thumb drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; When I go to the Power button, there's no "Start" option, which previous posts tell me is the beginning of "Properties" which supposedly leads me to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JeromeWhite1, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Can't find chkdsk to fix a bad thumb drive

When I go to the Power button, there's no "Start" option, which previous posts tell me is the beginning of "Properties" which supposedly leads me to "Tools" and miraculously leads me to "Error Checking"

C'mon you guys!!!

Most of us are not computer literate.. please get me to what I need to fix on the Lexar 16G hard drive, please.

:)

JeromeWhite1, Mar 25, 2019
  2. Jelo Sen Win User

chkdsk c: /F

We appreciate the response. I'm referring to Check Disk (chkdsk) utility tool. If you haven't tried yet, we suggest that you run a chkdsk by:

• Press Windows Key + X button to bring up the power user menu.
    • In the power user menu, select the Command Prompt (Admin) option.Click Yes when you are presented with a UAC window requesting permission to launch the Command Prompt as Administrator.
    • In the new Command Prompt window, type chkdsk E: /f /r /x. Here you should replace E with your drive letter.
    This option will run chkdsk to check and repair disk errors in Windows 10. The “/f” parameter tells CHKDSK to fix any errors it finds; “/r” tells it to locate the bad sectors on the drive and recover readable information; “/x” forces the drive to dismount
    before the process starts.

Keep us updated with the result.

Jelo Sen, Mar 25, 2019
  3. Duplicate Drives Appear in Explorer in Windows 10

Hi Hammett,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

Please share the details.

• Do you see any error code or error message on the screen?

As a work around, I suggest you to perform chkdsk and see if that helps.

Chkdsk is a system tool which verifies the file system integrity and fixes system errors. Here is the steps:

• Press Windows+X.
    • Click on Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type the command Chkdsk /f/r.
    • Hit Enter.
    Chkdsk disclaimer: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive, while the bad sectors might be recovered however there might be pertinent data loss.

Check if it helps.

Please keep us posted on the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, Mar 25, 2019
  4. Can't find chkdsk to fix a bad thumb drive

Can a thumb drive be disabled by malware?

There are quite a few possibilities to what happened to your thumb drive:

1. It might be a simple issue where the partition got corrupted: In this case you can go to Computer Management > Disk Management> and check out what partition your thumb drive currently has. If it currently is in RAW format or is just unallocated, I suggest you unallocate the entire drive and make a new partition. It's possible that you can recover upto 99% of your files with a tool like EaseUS DataRecovery Wizard Pro.
    2. The malware corrupted your thumb drive's firmware: The malware that your thumb drive may have encountered may be similar to something like BadUSB. It may or may not have modified your drive's firmware to transmit malware, but in any case your thumb drive's pretty dead, and there's not much you can do about it.

Don't Root here plz..., Mar 25, 2019
Thema:

Can't find chkdsk to fix a bad thumb drive

1. Can't find chkdsk to fix a bad thumb drive - Similar Threads - Can't find chkdsk

2. Create recovery drive process is not finding USB thumb drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create recovery drive process is not finding USB thumb drive: I'm attempting to create a recovery drive, following the instructions here. This process has worked fine until my most recent attempt earlier this week.If I leave the 'Back up system files to the recovery drive' box checked, the process does not detect my thumb drive, only my...
  3. Bad block in Event Viewer which CHKDSK doesn't find

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bad block in Event Viewer which CHKDSK doesn't find: I have reviewed the many posts found about this issue. I have taken the suggested steps CHKDSK, DISM, etc. including running the Seagate Utilities. I've even replaced the hard drive. I'm still seeing the events appearing in Event Viewer. Window 10 PRO seems to think my system...
  4. Bad block in Event Viewer which CHKDSK doesn't find

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bad block in Event Viewer which CHKDSK doesn't find: I have reviewed the many posts found about this issue. I have taken the suggested steps CHKDSK, DISM, etc. including running the Seagate Utilities. I've even replaced the hard drive. I'm still seeing the events appearing in Event Viewer. Window 10 PRO seems to think my system...
  5. Chkdsk finding bad cluster

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Chkdsk finding bad cluster: So I am trying to update windows, but it keeps failing over and over. Neither the cumulative update is installing, nor the 20H2 update is getting installed. So after some googling, I understood that running CHKDSK might solve the problem. So here I am trying to run CHKDSK and...
  6. Can't find chkdsk results

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can't find chkdsk results: I just did chkdsk test on main drive, after restart. And after login no results were shown... And it is not in Event Viewer, but it showed previous chkdsk tests, weird... I tried filter by event Sources: Wininit, chkdsk, or event id 26226 and it is not there. 180470
  7. Chkdsk finds no bad sectors but Crystaldiskinfo does. Who is right?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Chkdsk finds no bad sectors but Crystaldiskinfo does. Who is right?: I'm really confused with this. I've reformatted my drive D: to clear them from bad sectors from chkdsk which it did fortunately. However Crystaldiskinfo and HDtunepro still find that I have bad sectors. Whaaaaat? submitted by /u/Zenith23-5 [link] [comments]...
  8. chkdsk can't find path

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    chkdsk can't find path: when I run chkdsk or chkdsk /f, it will run on the partition/drive I have on my command prompt. IE PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>chkdsk runs on C: PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>chkdsk runs on D: PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>chkdsk /f runs on D: if I enter chkdsk c:\ or chkdsk d:\ with or...
  9. chkdsk can't find path or file

in Windows 10 Support
    chkdsk can't find path or file: when I run chkdsk or chkdsk /f, it will run on the partition/drive I have on my command prompt. IE PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>chkdsk runs on C: PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>chkdsk runs on D: PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>chkdsk /f runs on D: if I enter chkdsk c:\ or chkdsk d:\ with or...
  10. thumb drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    thumb drives: Upgraded to windows 10, plugged in a thumb drive but have no idea how to open the drive 27165

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant find thumb drive on computer