Windows 10: Can't find device to boot from

Discus and support Can't find device to boot from in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; This morning, I was on my computer, I turned it off. Then I returned from school and when I started it up, suddenly I heard this beaping noise, then it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ChristineBeckford, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Can't find device to boot from

This morning, I was on my computer, I turned it off. Then I returned from school and when I started it up, suddenly I heard this beaping noise, then it went to the windows loading screen, it fully loaded then the screen said "Can't find device to boot from", out of shock I went to YouTube 5i find a trouble shoot, and ithe video I watched said it had to do something with your hard drive. I did the windows built in diagnostic test and everything came back clear but on some of the diagnostic test, some of the results for the hard drive Were "Grey" or one with a ⚠ sign. I think this has something to do with my hard drive might be loose but I really don't know, I tried unscrewing it but it wouldn't do so, so I would really like a second opinion on the situation from the developers, please help me, I need to use my computer for recreational activities.

:)

ChristineBeckford, Mar 14, 2019
  2. zbook Win User

BSOD - Inaccessible Boot Device

The reset save files equivalent if successful should be the quickest method to get you backup and running.

The backup files then clean install is the best option as you fix many problems and start fresh.

The command prompt commands are all trial and error.

Code:
    Code:
    1) bcdedit /enum  2) bcdedit | find "osdevice"  (note the partition drive letter displayed in the result as this drive letter will be used in many of the later commands)

Code:
    Code:
    3) diskpart  list disk  list volume  select disk 0  detail disk  list partition  select partition 1  detail partition  select partition 2  detail partition  select partition 3  detail partition  select partition 4  detail partition  select partition 5  detail partition  select disk 1  detail disk  list partition  select partition 1  detail partition  select partition 2  detail partition  select partition 3  detail partition  select partition 4  detail partition  select disk 2  detail disk  list partition  select partition 1  detail partition  select partition 2  detail partition  select partition 3  detail partition  select partition 4  detail partition  select disk 3  detail disk  list partition  select partition 1  detail partition  select partition 2  detail partition  select partition 3  detail partition  select partition 4  detail partition  select disk 4  detail disk  list partition  select disk 5  detail disk  list partition  select disk 6  detail disk  list partition  exit  (post an image of the results into the thread)

Code:
    Code:
    4) chkdsk /r /v T:  (replace the drive letter T: with the partition drive letter displayed in the result for step 2)  (This may take many hours and typically displays ETA)  (reboot to run the command)  (post an image of the result into the thread)  (reboot after the command completes to check the boot)  (reopen command prompt for the next step)

Code:
    Code:
    5) dism /image:T:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions  (change the drive letter T: to the drive letter displayed in the result for step #2)  (reboot after the command completes)  (reopen command prompt to run the next command)

Code:
    Code:
    6) dism /Image:T:\ /Get-Packages  (change the drive letter T: to the drive letter displayed in the results of step #2)  (Run the following command on the last installed package:  example: dism.exe /image:T:\ /remove-package /packagename:Package_for_KB4014329~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.1.0  (change the drive letter T: to the partition drive letter displayed in step #2)  (Reboot)  (perform this command on multiple KB as needed to go back in time to before there were boot problems)

Code:
    Code:
    7) sfc /scannow /offbootdir=T:\ /offwindir=T:\windows  (change the drive letters T: to the drive letter displayed in result for step #2)  (This command may take a while to run)  (post an image of the results into the thread)  (reboot to check the boot)  (open command prompt for the next step)

Code:
    Code:
    8) bootrec /fixmbr  9) bootrec /fixboot  10) bootrec /scanos  11) bootrec /rebuildbcd  (post an image of the result into the thread)  (reboot after the command completes to check the boot)

zbook, Mar 14, 2019
  3. btarunr Win User
    Can't boot from DVD drive

Is your controller in RAID/AHCI modes? If so, the DVD drive will be listed as a separate device in the list of available boot devices, not as "CDROM". Remember that when setting boot device priority. Otherwise, read the manual to see which hotkey during POST brings up the boot menu that lets you select which device to boot from. Even here, the drive will be listed separately, and not as "CDROM".

btarunr, Mar 14, 2019
  4. Rose Cal Win User

Can't find device to boot from

Boot Device not found

Hi Alan,

Corrupted system files or it boot to a different hard drive that it why you received the message Boot Device no found. To better assist you, we'd like to gather more information:

• Have you made any changes prior to this issue?
    • Which build and version of Windows 10 are you using?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you follow these steps on how to perform automatic repair:

• Force turn off your computer/device 3 times until you reach the Automatic Repair environment.
    • On the list of options under Advance options, choose Start-up Repair and perform the instructions.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Mar 14, 2019
Thema:

Can't find device to boot from

1. Can't find device to boot from - Similar Threads - Can't find device

2. Can't find bootable device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't find bootable device: So I've just built my new PC, but I'm using my old storage as there was no need for upgrade in those. I've got two installs of windows and when I head into CMD when in repair mode it identifies both installs. I've attempted some bootrec commands which haven't helped. Now I'm...
  3. Can't find bootable device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't find bootable device: So I've just built my new PC, but I'm using my old storage as there was no need for upgrade in those. I've got two installs of windows and when I head into CMD when in repair mode it identifies both installs. I've attempted some bootrec commands which haven't helped. Now I'm...
  4. Can't find bootable device

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Unknown Device Can't Find

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unknown Device Can't Find: i have a problem like this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/about-unknown-component-missing-drivers/6a35d838-a028-4fd0-b777-4231ccb02512 but i have a problem when i click the details tab theres no hardware id so i cant find and fix it[IMG]...
  6. Can't find any devices

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Can't find any devices: I recently got Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, but I can't download any of the games I want to play on to my PC. I constantly keep getting this every time I try to install a game. I do what is told of me and the Laptop that I try to download the games on is linked to the "device" in...
  7. Can't boot system from SSD - can't find winload.efi file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't boot system from SSD - can't find winload.efi file: Hello! I wanted to upgrade my Sony VAIO with Windows 10 from the original 750 Gb HDD to a new 1 Tb SSD (SanDisk Ultra). I downloaded Macrium Reflect to clone my HDD to the SSD and after doing the cloning, I installed the SSD in my computer and turned it on, but the system...
  8. Windows boot issue error message: “Can’t find device to boot from”

Windows boot issue error message: “Can’t find device to boot from”: This morning, I was on my computer, I turned it off. Then I returned from school and when I started it up, suddenly I heard this beaping noise, then it went to the windows loading screen, it fully loaded then the screen said "Can't find device to boot from", out of shock I...
  9. can't find audio device

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    can't find audio device: I have problem playing music from saved music files in my PC https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-find-audio-device/6dda0612-836c-45ff-ac29-597e51a139d8"
  10. Can't Find WebCam Device in Device Manager

Can't Find WebCam Device in Device Manager: In Win7 I'd do Device Manager > Imaging Devices > USB 2.0 PC Camera to find my USB WebCam and activate it and de-activate the monitor's built-in camera. But in Win10 Device Manager has no listing for Imaging Devices. [img] Where in Win10 can I enable and disable...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. can´t find boot device