Windows 10: Can't find empty folders using Windows Explorer search function

Discus and support Can't find empty folders using Windows Explorer search function in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm trying to find all folders that are empty. Within Windows Explorer I select the folder, which contains a number of sub-folders. Click in the search... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Sam Vimes, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Sam Vimes Win User

Can't find empty folders using Windows Explorer search function

I'm trying to find all folders that are empty. Within Windows Explorer I select the folder, which contains a number of sub-folders. Click in the search box which then brings up the search options at the top of the window. I select All Subfolders; Type as Folders: Size as Empty, which puts into the search box the following statement:-

kind:=folder size:empty

It then goes through the motions of searching but doesn't produce any results and I know for a fact there are several empty folders, some of which I specifically made to test this function.

Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong or does it just not work.

Many thanks

:)

Sam Vimes, Dec 9, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 9, 2018
  3. Kreij Win User
    How to make vista display same icon size for all opened folders in explorer ?

Some suggestions

Kreij, Dec 9, 2018
  4. enso Win User

Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

enso, Dec 9, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't find empty folders using Windows Explorer search function - Similar Threads - Can't find empty

2. Search function in Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Search function in Explorer: When I search in Explorer for something, i get a list of the files which contain that search item. However, I need to know in which folder those files are and I can't see any way of establishing that without actually opening the files. I want to be able to establish in which...
  3. Search function in Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search function in Explorer: When I search in Explorer for something, i get a list of the files which contain that search item. However, I need to know in which folder those files are and I can't see any way of establishing that without actually opening the files. I want to be able to establish in which...
  4. Search function in Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Why can't I use the windows search function?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why can't I use the windows search function?: Hi, I am having an issue with the windows search function. Every time I click on "Type here to search" on the bottom left, it has no effect and doesn't allow me to search anything. I have tried restarting my laptop, rebuilding the indexing, and troubleshooting the problem...
  6. Why can't I use the windows search function?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why can't I use the windows search function?: Hi, I am having an issue with the windows search function. Every time I click on "Type here to search" on the bottom left, it has no effect and doesn't allow me to search anything. I have tried restarting my laptop, rebuilding the indexing, and troubleshooting the problem...
  7. Is there a Find & Replace function in Windows Explorer?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is there a Find & Replace function in Windows Explorer?: Hi, I have thousands of pdf files on my PC, If I want to rename the files all together how can I find and replace all the file names one time? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-a-find-replace-function-in-windows/c28132ab-40dc-47d3-a98a-fd244c848cf2
  8. Windows 10 Search Function Can't Find Folders and Apps

in Cortana
    Windows 10 Search Function Can't Find Folders and Apps: My problem is pretty simple, I have steam and some games from it downloaded onto my laptop, but the windows 10 search function is unable to find the Steam App anymore, and it never has been able to find the .exe nor the game folders I have downloaded. Any idea how to fix...
  9. Windows Explorer search box not functional

in Cortana
    Windows Explorer search box not functional: This is slightly different to the error reported by others. Most of the time, even earlier today, I could type something into the search box in Windows Explorer. I’m a little annoyed that I now have to click an extra button to get it to search, but that’s not the error....
  10. Windows 10 search function not finding any files in any folders

in Cortana
    Windows 10 search function not finding any files in any folders: I used to be able to type in part of the name of a file in a folder and the search function would find the file and I could click it. In the past couple of months, I have changed nothing but now whenever I search for a file in a folder (even if I type the entire name exactly...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows search empty folders

2. how to find empty folders in explorer