Windows 10: Can't find files after Windows 10 System Reset "Keep My Files"

Discus and support Can't find files after Windows 10 System Reset "Keep My Files" in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My laptop wouldn't let me log in this morning, so after a variety of troublshooting methods, I decided to do a system reset. Of course I chose the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by BagelMarie, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Can't find files after Windows 10 System Reset "Keep My Files"

My laptop wouldn't let me log in this morning, so after a variety of troublshooting methods, I decided to do a system reset. Of course I chose the "Keep my files" option as it was too late at this point to transfer them to an external hard drive as I would normally do before a factory restore.

The reset went fine but when I logged in, my files were not present in their respective folders. All my music, pictures, documents, and videos are missing. My desktop background and lock screen image are the same as they were, and all the items in my recycle bin are still there, so I know they have to be around somewhere, but I can't find them. Where can I find them?

My username is now different as well for some reason, could it be that everything is missing because I'm now technically logged into a different account? Even so, how could my desktop and lock screen images be saved, but nothing else was? Please help.

:)

BagelMarie, Jan 2, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jan 2, 2020
  3. FreddyAk Win User
    Windows 10 installation file system

Hello I installed windows 10 on pendrive 3,75 gb with ntfs system file using ultraISO. I read on internet that it is required to use fat32 if you have uefi mobo which I do (msi b85m-g43). So far my system is working just fine except after boot screen the background doesnt dissapear, insted windows 10 loading circle on little black background appears and then it goes to welcome screen. Everythings else is fine so far. May this problem be caused by file system ? Or could it done any other problems I dont see?

Well Nevermind. It seems like program formatted pendrive to fat32 and I didnt see it.

FreddyAk, Jan 2, 2020
  4. slozomby Win User

Can't find files after Windows 10 System Reset "Keep My Files"

Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Jan 2, 2020
Thema:

Can't find files after Windows 10 System Reset "Keep My Files"

1. Can't find files after Windows 10 System Reset "Keep My Files" - Similar Threads - Can't find files

2. windows can't find my files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows can't find my files: i booted up my computer after an update a few days ago and tried to open a text file on my desktop, it threw the error of "Windows cannot find path to file. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again". if i try to open a photo and i get "path to photo no such...
  3. Can't open my files after resetting Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't open my files after resetting Windows 10: Hello to all. Today when I log in to my windows 10, I see that my windows is infected with virus. I don't know the reason when the virus came to my laptop. But after corrupting the necessary files of windows 10, my windows had gone to mad. So, I chose to reset my laptop. I...
  4. Can't open my files after resetting Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't open my files after resetting Windows 10: Hello to all. Today when I log in to my windows 10, I see that my windows is infected with virus. I don't know the reason when the virus came to my laptop. But after corrupting the necessary files of windows 10, my windows had gone to mad. So, I chose to reset my laptop. I...
  5. Can't open my files after resetting Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Can't find file system properties

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't find file system properties: Hi, I am on windows 20H2. I can't find the "file system properties" described herehttps://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/disabling-the-write-behind-caching-setting-does-not-disable-all-write-behind-caching-on-the-system-78592eac-fab2-5043-296b-744e032a1cc4Is it just me or...
  7. How to reset the system and keep my personal files?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to reset the system and keep my personal files?: how will i reset my system and keep my files including pictures ,video, games,documents,softwere,programs or saved files etc submitted by /u/bigbellu [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/m5kp1z/how_to_reset_the_system_and_keep_my_personal_files/
  8. Can't Reset my PC Keep my file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't Reset my PC Keep my file: Can't Reset my PC Keep my file as everytime I select this it brings up the following message "there was a problem resetting your PC. No change were made" why doesn't it let me reset my PC?...
  9. Windows can't find my files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows can't find my files: All of a sudden, Windows can't find many maybe even most, but not all of my files and apps. When I try to open a Word doc, or my Brother printer/scanner app, or Everything to search for files, I get an error saying "Windows cannot find [xxx.doc or xxx.exe]. Make sure you...
  10. CAN'T DELETE FILES AFTER SYSTEM RESET!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    CAN'T DELETE FILES AFTER SYSTEM RESET!: I got the infamous black screen with cursor that everyone hates. But this one was stubborn and resisted any solutions I found online. So I gave up and chose system reset with keeping my files. After that everything was looking fine, but I was having issues deleting shortcuts....