Windows 10: Can't find files in HDD after update

Discus and support Can't find files in HDD after update in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; when I upgraded to windows ten I selected keep nothing when it asked me what files I wanted to keep thing it would delete all the junk I don't need on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Brodie Jenkins, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Can't find files in HDD after update

when I upgraded to windows ten I selected keep nothing when it asked me what files I wanted to keep thing it would delete all the junk I don't need on my pc, but after the upgrade my HDD was just as full as it was before. so I tried to manually delete stuff but now when I look through my cdrive I says all the file are empty except for the windows one. When I look to see how much room I left no my hard drive it says one out of two TB is full but I cant find what's taking up that 1 TB anywhere

:)

Brodie Jenkins, Aug 29, 2015

2. Windows fails to start after update, fails to repair, failed to reset

Windows failed to boot after restarting from an update a few days ago.

• I went into recovery and tried to use a restore point, which works but fixes nothing.
    • I created a flash drive and tried the same thing off the computer hdd and again nothing.
    • Ran sfc and chkdsk commands, all of which did nothing.
    • I ran the start up repair as well which waits 10 seconds and says it can't be repaired.
    • I ran reset and keep files, which fails immediately
    • I went to console and copied out all of my important files from the C drive
    • I ran reset and delete files which ran for about 20 seconds and failed
    • After running the reset it now fails to find C. It can't load the on disk recovery, can't find the boot media, or even see the disk in diskpart ran from the usb.
    Basically, windows recovery just bricked my hdd, is there any way to fix that or am I just screwed now?

NoxSicarius1, Aug 29, 2015
  3. My files didn't show in Explorer

I copied my files from my external hdd to my PC. After copying finished, I can't find my files in Explorer. I changed the setting to show hidden files and tried use attrib /s /d -s -h command but I still can't find them. I checked my drive using Defraggler
    and I see my files there, but almost all of my files changed into ~filename~.~extension~.zone.identifier. Most of my files are not downloaded from internet. I tried to recover using recovery apps but i can't open the recovered files.

Please help me, all my work is there

FatkhurRoziq, Aug 29, 2015
  4. jds63 Win User

Can't find files in HDD after update

Upgrading is not going to get rid of applications had on previous operating system unless there incompatible would let you know during the process. Saying keep nothing is basically talking about settings, certain apps and files. Need to do a clean install to get rid of this.

Not sure if i understand this part
    " when I look through my cdrive I says all the file are empty except for the windows one "

Can get rid of backup folder from upgrade to save space, need to know more on this first. Plus have 30 days before can roll back mattering to i believe on day you upgraded.

Can't find files in HDD after update [​IMG]

jds63, Aug 29, 2015
  5. jds63 Win User
  6. sorry about my bad English
    it says my cdrive has one TB full but I cant find those files that are taking up that one TB

7. jds63 Win User
    That all your concerned about 1TB loss ? try this free program to locate it
    JAM Software - Windows Freeware

jds63, Aug 29, 2015
  8. Can't find files in HDD after update

that program worked
    thanks for the help *Smile

9. jds63 Win User
    Yes good program if your looking to find what is taking disc space. Your welcome, assume any other issues with Upgrade are good.

jds63, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Can't find files in HDD after update

1. Can't find files in HDD after update - Similar Threads - Can't find files

2. Can't find files after using File History restore.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't find files after using File History restore.: Ack! Confused!I accidentally deleted all the folders jpeg, RAW and DNG photos from my desktop yes, every folder - I was deleting folders from a photo program and messed up royally.I'm using Windows 11 and used File History and 'restore', and I know they're back because a...
  3. Can't find files after saving

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't find files after saving: I'm using a program called Film Forth. I saved my project in C:\Users\jenlu\Videos\FilmForth. I'm trying to use WeTransfer.com to send the project via email. When i click Upload from WeTransfer and go to the correct folder, I can see the thumbnail of the project, but when I...
  4. Can't find files after saving

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't find files after saving: I'm using a program called Film Forth. I saved my project in C:\Users\jenlu\Videos\FilmForth. I'm trying to use WeTransfer.com to send the project via email. When i click Upload from WeTransfer and go to the correct folder, I can see the thumbnail of the project, but when I...
  5. Can't find file

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't find file: I downloaded a plugin for ableton live which required a installer first. I used the installer to download the actual plugin then it required me to restart my computer. Once I finished restarting the pc, I searched for the downloaded plugin so i could move it into the correct...
  6. Can't find my desktop files after a windows update, help

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't find my desktop files after a windows update, help: Windows was updated in my computer. The first sign in after the update took me to a user account that is not mine, like a default user account, similar to a Guest althought I do not and did not have it enabled. Given that my files weren't in the desktop, I went and looked for...
  7. Can't find the video editor after update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't find the video editor after update: I updated to Windows 10 1909, now the video editor is gone from the Photo app submitted by /u/abraham16299 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fmft6u/cant_find_the_video_editor_after_update/
  8. PC can't find Wifi after update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    PC can't find Wifi after update: After the latest update the computer doesn't find my wifi anymore. My phone and tablet are working just fine and I exclude a problem with the box. I have several other wifi that are detected but not my own. Any ideas? Thanks very much...
  9. File can't delete on HDD..?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    File can't delete on HDD..?: Hi All I have few files on my Toshiba ext. HDD that don't seem to able to delete .. Any ideas..? I have signed out , restart tha laptop .. Thanks [img] 121606
  10. After new update I can't find how to search for files

in Windows 10 Support
    After new update I can't find how to search for files: Since the new update, the ******* at MS have re-installed Cortana, and taken away the search window, except for her. When I try to search for a specific file, such as a .jpeg I get Bing on the internet. How do I get my search window back? How do I get rid of Cortana...not...