Windows 10: Cant find my files after Windows 10 update

Discus and support Cant find my files after Windows 10 update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I had granted permissions for a scheduled restart in my laptop sometime back for a Windows 10 update. Ever since then, everytime I tried to sign in, a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by SkandGupta, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Cant find my files after Windows 10 update

I had granted permissions for a scheduled restart in my laptop sometime back for a Windows 10 update. Ever since then, everytime I tried to sign in, a temporary user profile would be made up, which was a real pain. I tried to resolve the issue but to no avail. 3 days later I get a notification for another permission for a scheduled restart for an update and I granted the permission hoping this would solve the issue. It only worsened the issue, not only the temporary user profile is made up everytime I boot my laptop, all my files in my original user profile simply vanished away! I tried searching for them in all the user profiles but to no avail. Kindly help me solve these issues, I sincerely hope I get my stuff back and that the temporary user issue is resolved as well.

:)

SkandGupta, Sep 16, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 16, 2019
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Sep 16, 2019
  4. AsRock Win User

Cant find my files after Windows 10 update

Windows 10 Update

Well just noticed a pretty large one pop up coming in at 914MB, seems it makes some pretty serous updates.

KB3172985
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172985

This security update includes improvements and fixes in the functionality of Windows 10 Version 1511 and Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 4. It also resolves the following vulnerabilities in Windows:

• 3175677 MS16-094: Security update for secure boot: July 12, 2016
    • 3174060 MS16-093: Security update for Adobe Flash Player: July 12, 2016
    • 3171910 MS16-092: Security update for Windows Kernel: July 12, 2016
    • 3170048 MS16-091: Security update for .Net Framework: July 12, 2016
    • 3171481 MS16-090: Security update for Kernel Mode Drivers: July 12, 2016
    • 3170050 MS16-089: Security update for Windows secure kernel mode: July 12, 2016
    • 3170005 MS16-087: Security update for the Microsoft Print Spooler: July 12, 2016
    • 3169999 MS16-085: Cumulative security update for Microsoft Edge: July 12, 2016
    • 3169991 MS16-084: Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer: July 12, 2016

AsRock, Sep 16, 2019
Thema:

Cant find my files after Windows 10 update

1. Cant find my files after Windows 10 update - Similar Threads - Cant find files

2. My computer cant find an update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer cant find an update: I was about to go to sleep and so I turned off my computer to update. However, my wifi had dissconected right before the update. Its been 8 hours and says its searching for an update. Is there anyway to fix this? My internet is still out at the moment....
  3. My computer cant find an update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My computer cant find an update: I was about to go to sleep and so I turned off my computer to update. However, my wifi had dissconected right before the update. Its been 8 hours and says its searching for an update. Is there anyway to fix this? My internet is still out at the moment....
  4. my pc cant find windows update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my pc cant find windows update: windows could not check for updates https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-pc-cant-find-windows-update/42b7e7e9-9cc7-4ad7-b648-e8659bbe3627
  5. my pc cant find windows update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    my pc cant find windows update: windows could not check for updates https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-pc-cant-find-windows-update/42b7e7e9-9cc7-4ad7-b648-e8659bbe3627
  6. cant find my large files to uninstall

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cant find my large files to uninstall: when i look in installed apps it says i have 373GB of installed apps but when i go to look at the largest app there it says its PowerToys with 547MB installed and i dont thing thats right my problem isnt related to the sub-topic is forced me to choose a sub-topic...
  7. Windows cant find file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows cant find file: I am trying to open an excel spreadsheet file that is saved to my desktop. A message keeps coming up saying that Windows can't find C:\Users\Mike_\Desktop and then the file name. I am not very computer savy and I have no clue what I have done. It worked fine yesterday....
  8. Cant find files after windows update on May 13,2020

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cant find files after windows update on May 13,2020: Windows updated yesterday and I can't find the files on my computer. Any ideas on how to retrieve? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-find-files-after-windows-update-on-may-132020/d1ce2b16-c7e8-4314-9a64-51e244c6590c
  9. Cant Find System Files After Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Cant Find System Files After Update: Recently after i updated win 10 I found I had 12 GB of system files to delete. But when I checked today i only see 1GB to delete. Where did all the system files go? Where do i find them to delete them? 135865
  10. My search cant find files

in Cortana
    My search cant find files: i have done everything possible to do. been on so many sites trying to fix it. for some reason when i search i cannot find any files or apps using the start search or in documents search. i have checked my service is running. i have i did few cmd commands. i have tried...