Windows 10: Can't find my main hard drive on Indexing Options

Discus and support Can't find my main hard drive on Indexing Options in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I tried searching for a file on my computer and whenever I clicked on it, it just took me to This PC. I then looked at my Indexing Options and only my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JoshuaSay, Nov 21, 2018.

1. JoshuaSay Win User

Can't find my main hard drive on Indexing Options

I tried searching for a file on my computer and whenever I clicked on it, it just took me to This PC. I then looked at my Indexing Options and only my second disk and Internet Explorer History were there. I clicked on Modify and still couldn't find my main hard drive. I then went on Advanced and tried to rebuild the index, but that too, isn't working. Could someone help me out here? Thanks.

:)

JoshuaSay, Nov 21, 2018

2. External hard drive indexing information lost

Hi,

It would be great if you can provide me with this information for a better understanding.

1. Did you add the external hard drive to the list of locations to be indexed from the Indexing Options?

2. By mentioning “it's registered as an indexed location” do you mean that you have already done this?

If you haven’t added the external hard disk in the Indexing Options, then I would suggest you to follow these instructions and let’s know the result.

a) Press “windows Logo” + “W” keys on the keyboard to display the “Settings” search bar.

b) Type “Indexing Options” in that search box and press “Enter” key on the keyboard.

c) In the “Indexing Options” window, click on “Modify” button.

d) Under “Change selected locations”, select the external hard disk and add it to the indexing location list.

e) If you are unable to find the hard disk drive in that list, then click on “Show all locations” and check if the hard disk is shown up there.

f) Click on “Ok” and then click on “Close”.

Please let me know, if that helps.

You may now check if the issue still happens or not. If the issue persists, you may get back to us with more information about the issue.

Kind Regards:

Engr. Malik Yasir

MALIK YASIRNAWAZ, Nov 21, 2018
  3. David Haz Win User
    Unable to make changes in Indexing Options

Hello,

We suggest to run the Search and Indexing Troubleshooter and check if it helps with the indexing issue you are experiencing.

Here's how you may run the Search and Indexing Troubleshooter:

• Press the Windows key + X, and then click
      Control Panel
    • Type Troubleshooting, and then click View all.
    • Click Search and Indexing.
    • Follow the steps provided by the troubleshooter.

Tell us how it goes.

Regards.

David Haz, Nov 21, 2018
  4. Xylee Del Win User

hard drive full, but can<t find the item to erase

Windows 10 has the option to change the storage location. We suggest that you change the storage location so you can still use your hard drive instead of using the SSD. Kindly follow the steps below on how to change the storage location:

• On the Search bar, type in storage and select the top most result.
    • On the Storage screen, change the location of each options to your desired hard drive. The files will now be saved on the specific hard drive.

Can't find my main hard drive on Indexing Options 47d2da23-d12c-4708-9637-ccc0766a4909.png

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Xylee Del, Nov 21, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't find my main hard drive on Indexing Options - Similar Threads - Can't find main

2. Hard drive indexing (?) takes ages

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Hard drive indexing (?) takes ages: Hi all, when I open a drive windows takes ages to (I think it's called) index the drive. The bar at the top goes along so slowly as if it's searching/adding in files on the drive and sits flashing away like it's working but takes forever. It doesn't matter if I only just...
  3. Can't Access Indexing Options

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't Access Indexing Options: I'm using a fairly old laptop (4th gen i7) running Windows 10 1903. For a while now, I've been unable to access any indexing options, such as through the control panel or the indexing troubleshooter. In the control panel, for example, the "Indexing Options Control Panel" does...
  4. How do my make my terabyte hard drive my main drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do my make my terabyte hard drive my main drive?: My C Drive is only 110 GB, but I have a TB hard drive. Could someone please tell me how I could make my 2nd HD my main drive? Thank you!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-my-make-my-terabyte-hard-drive-my-main/0b1f79e2-8012-4989-94d8-bfd0015bc71c"
  5. Indexing Network Drives is not working / Trying to Add Network Drive to Indexing option is...

Indexing Network Drives is not working / Trying to Add Network Drive to Indexing option is...: Hello, I am running into an issue with a few of our windows 10 computers. When they are trying to search a network drive, the search take a very long time (some times does not even search) to search and even if it does search, it is not getting everything I need. I can be...
  6. can't find a networked hard drive

can't find a networked hard drive: I have a hard drive connected to an apple airport router. I had this all set up last summer and it was working fine. I moved and I hooked it all back up and now my Windows 10 machine will not see the shared drive. Other MAC laptops can access it. I wasn't using this...
  7. Windows 10 Indexing Options Drive Missing

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Indexing Options Drive Missing: I recently installed Windows 10 on a computer containing 3 internal and 8 external hard drives. Although all the drives show up in Disk Management and File Explorer, one of the internal drives isn't listed under "Indexing Options" so I can't get the files indexed. Since I...
  8. Indexing Options internals

in Windows 10 Support
    Indexing Options internals: Dear friends hallo, One day I noticed that the processes responsible for indexing were taking up too much process power. I noticed that this happened because I transferred my e-book collection to my PC. Windows was trying to index the contents of these massive pdf files....
  9. Secondary Hard Drive D:\ Not Showing Up in Indexing Options Modify

in Windows 10 Support
    Secondary Hard Drive D:\ Not Showing Up in Indexing Options Modify: Hi, I've Googled all over and found some things about this but never an actual solution. I think it is permissions based. Here is the deal. Our organization branched off from another company and now are our own entity. They removed our computers from their domain and...
  10. Cannot add a Drive to Indexing Options

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot add a Drive to Indexing Options: Hi. I’m hoping someone can tell me how to get my E drive indexed for searching purposes. As you can see from the pic, it’s just not ‘addable’… I have an SSD dedicated to the OS and two HDDs (E and F). I recently had a problem with some files on the E drive in that I was...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows hard drive indexing

2. cannot find hard drive on indexing option

3. cant add drive to indexing