Windows 10: Can't find Operating System

Discus and support Can't find Operating System in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am running Windows 10 and Ubuntu 18 on separate partitions. When I start the laptop I get a screen saying 'Cannot find operating system' with a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by richsweeny, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Can't find Operating System

I am running Windows 10 and Ubuntu 18 on separate partitions. When I start the laptop I get a screen saying 'Cannot find operating system' with a button to shutdown. When I restart holding f12 to choose a boot disk I kit enter for the internal hard disk. This will load grub where I can choose Windows or Ubuntu. I can now boot into either one normally. Why can it not find the operating system on the initial boot?
    Thank you

:)

richsweeny, Apr 4, 2019
  2. zbook Win User

Programs not working

In post 26 there were steps listed to fix the operating system corruption.
    Are you able to follow them?
    In post 29 was the suggested dism repair command.

zbook, Apr 4, 2019
  3. ' choose an operation system to start"

Hi Bob,

To better assist you, do let us the complete message that you receive.

Sometimes, this could be due to two operating system installed in your computer. Just to make sure this is not the case, I suggest you to try the steps below:

1. Press Windows key + R.

2. Type msconfig and press enter.

3. Click the "boot" tab and check if there are any other operating system listed.

4. In addition, change the timeout time to 3 seconds(default)

Let us know the result, we will be glad to help if you need further assistance.

Wungraileng Vashi, Apr 4, 2019
  4. Can't find Operating System

LionHeart1974, Apr 4, 2019
Thema:

Can't find Operating System

1. Can't find Operating System - Similar Threads - Can't find Operating

2. Computer can't find operating system.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer can't find operating system.: Read through and tried all your articles and examples of fixes. Been through the BIOS, reboot, reinstallation, repair installation and command prompt time and time again and the issue is still not resolved. Please help!...
  3. Computer can't find operating system.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer can't find operating system.: Read through and tried all your articles and examples of fixes. Been through the BIOS, reboot, reinstallation, repair installation and command prompt time and time again and the issue is still not resolved. Please help!...
  4. Computer can't find operating system.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Can't select operating system in operating system selection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't select operating system in operating system selection: I tried to download Windows 10 on my laptopI had Windows 7 as a second operating system. After 1st reboot the operating system selection screen appears with no operating system to select. I also can't use the recovery environment. How to fix it without usb drive?...
  6. Can't select operating system in operating system selection

Can't select operating system in operating system selection: I tried to download Windows 10 on my laptopI had Windows 7 as a second operating system. After 1st reboot the operating system selection screen appears with no operating system to select. I also can't use the recovery environment. How to fix it without usb drive?...
  7. Can't select operating system in operating system selection

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Computer can’t find the operating system.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer can’t find the operating system.: Cloning a hd to an ssd and I had a power failure while it was processing now I can get to the bios and it sees both drives but it can’t find the operating system. I can’t just reinstall windows because my pc didn’t come with any back ups...
  9. Computer can’t find the operating system.

Computer can’t find the operating system.: Cloning a hd to an ssd and I had a power failure while it was processing now I can get to the bios and it sees both drives but it can’t find the operating system. I can’t just reinstall windows because my pc didn’t come with any back ups...
  10. can't find operating system

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    can't find operating system: Tried to clean hard drive for another family member to use an old computer. Now no operating system was found. What do I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-find-operating-system/d7294bc7-2652-4b0b-ac2f-462016d8e828"