Windows 10: Can't find system image on recovery drive

Discus and support Can't find system image on recovery drive in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; One of the 1st things I do with a new PC is create & test a recovery drive. This is the 3rd Windows 10 PC I've worked on-all Toshiba Satellites by... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by pchelp, Oct 17, 2015.

1. pchelp Win User

Can't find system image on recovery drive

One of the 1st things I do with a new PC is create & test a recovery drive. This is the 3rd Windows 10 PC I've worked on-all Toshiba Satellites by coincidence. This one seems to have a problem, possibly creating the recovery drive and if not that then certainly using it. Or else I've forgotten how I used it on the other two. I test it by doing a restore from system image-since I create it immediately after completing setup I haven't lost anything and this assures me that if nothing else I can get back to 'ground zero'.

This is the 3rd time I've tried this on the new PC. The first time it said it was unable to create the recovery drive. I checked the USB stick & tried again. That time is 'successfully' created the drive. Both times 'copy system image to recovery drive' was checked. When I tested the 'successfully' created drive it couldn't find a system image on it.

So I'm trying it again and it's just sitting on the 'Please Wait' screen-for 20 minutes so far. Presumably it's erasing the drive so I'm reluctant to simply reboot. And this is the last 16GB USB stick I have. Should I shut it down & try again, get another USB stick, or what? Or have I totally forgotten what I did on the previous 2 PC's that worked? Thanks.

:)

pchelp, Oct 17, 2015
  2. Saltgrass Win User

Files missing to create recovery media Win 10

You might check the Windows\Logs\RecoveryDrive folder to see if a log exists. If one is there, it might give you some insight.

Are you checking the box to copy over system files?

If you are dual booting or perhaps for some other reason, the recovery drive procedure may not be able to find the Recovery Tools or a recovery image, of some type, it thinks it needs.

You could open an administrative command prompt and type the command below and copy and paste the results.

reagentc /info

A normal recovery drive will set up the Recovery Tools, even without checking the box. After that it will create an image of Win 10 along with any usable OEM recovery options. If the process thinks there is an image it can't find or can't find necessary
    files to make an image, it will error out.

Saltgrass, Oct 17, 2015
  3. POuria25 Win User
    Migrate Windows 10 from HDD to SSD - cannot Reset This PC from partition

I've created an image system recovery and I've put it in third Drive. But it didn't work!

when I want do recovery with image in troubleshoot after restarting it shows me it can't find ant image file or some things like that!

I have to clone again my system operations or I have to use some back up, which is better?

POuria25, Oct 17, 2015
  4. pchelp Win User

I found the problem-sort of. I did a 'reset' on the 1st two PCs not understanding that it's not what I want to do. I'll post a different message asking how to do what I want to do.

pchelp, Oct 18, 2015
  5. Ztruker Win User
    Use Macrium Reflect Free and do image backup to external USB hard drive. Create the Macrium rescue disk and you're all set.

Ztruker, Oct 19, 2015
  6. Windows has had it;s own backup option included since Vista Ultimate with 7 seeing the option for creating the full system image type backup in all editions carried on with 8, 8.1, and in 10 as well. System Image - Create in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

The Paragon Backup & Recovery 14 Free Edition is also another 3rd party program available if you are looking to download something other then using the Windows option.

Now when referring to "Recovery Drives" the Backup and Recovery section in the Control Panel in 10 includes a new option for creation of a USB Recovery Drive using an 8gb or larger usb flash drive that contains the advanced repair options along with the Repair Startup tool(Previously Startup Repair tool) if you are unable to bring up the F8 boot options screen at startup when seeing a problem. That wouldn't be large enough for any system image backup. The 128gb flash drives used here wouldn't be either for the main build at this time while the fresh install of 10 once all programs were on came upto 88gb!

Night Hawk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't find system image on recovery drive - Similar Threads - Can't find system

2. Can't recovery system image

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't recovery system image: I created a system recovery image from Windows 11 Backup and Restore Windows 7 before my computer was wiped, then W11 reinstalled. Using the Settings > System > Recovery >Advanced > Restart . After restart Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > System Image Recovery > See more...
  3. Can't recovery system image

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't recovery system image: I created a system recovery image from Windows 11 Backup and Restore Windows 7 before my computer was wiped, then W11 reinstalled. Using the Settings > System > Recovery >Advanced > Restart . After restart Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > System Image Recovery > See more...
  4. Create a System Image / Recovery Drive Help

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Create a System Image / Recovery Drive Help: Hi there, I need to return my laptop with Windows 10 Home for some hardware issue, the warranty is still valid so they will send me a new one once I ship this one. Before sending it back I want to make a Bare Metal full backup to be recovered on the new laptop. I want to...
  5. System Image Recovery

System Image Recovery: Can I use a SYSTEM IMAGE RECOVERY to transfer my files to anew PC trough an external drive? If on my existing pc i have 2 disks C: and D: and the new one will also have 2 disks will the system install the image on the new PC like they were on the old PC? C: to C: amd D:ti...
  6. system image recovery

system image recovery: I can't long into my Desktop-HTLT8V4 it needs recovery key and the sign I got was - to retrieve this key , go tohttp://windows.microsoft.com/recoverykeyfaq from another PC or mobile device .in case you need it the key ID is D48B8C0E...
  7. System image recovery

System image recovery: I had backed up a system image on March 2, put an old Windows 7 one I had on my Netbook before it broke (my desktop was originally a Windows 7 btw). On March 30, I tried to restore the system image I saved earlier in the month, but I ended up getting a system image I saved...
  8. System image or recovery flash drive?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System image or recovery flash drive?: Of the above which is the better solution to backup or do I need both? Also, I have a desktop and a laptop both running Windows 10 fall creator version. I have created a recovery flash drive with system files included for the desktop. Will that one also work for the laptop?...
  9. System Image Recovery

System Image Recovery: Hi All, I'm switching to SSD and I created a system image on the drive already. I tried going to system image recovery to boot using it, however when I click it, the screen goes blank. I'm pretty sure it's not a time thing, I gave it 8 hours. I'm pretty sure this is my...
  10. System Image Recovery can only find one image. But there are others.

System Image Recovery can only find one image. But there are others.: I found image A. From the "Select a system image backup" dialogue, I clicked on the "Select a system image" radio button, pressed the Next button. In the new dialogue only image B was listed. (That's the problem I had.) But here I selected image B anyway, clicked on the Next...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. recovery drive cannot find system image