Windows 10: "Can't find the specified file" when moving/renaming a folder

Discus and support "Can't find the specified file" when moving/renaming a folder in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I have a problem with my windows that is making me kind of mad to be honest, every time i try to delete, rename, or move a folder, it shows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Colin Pucz, Jun 1, 2020.

1. "Can't find the specified file" when moving/renaming a folder

Hi,

I have a problem with my windows that is making me kind of mad to be honest, every time i try to delete, rename, or move a folder, it shows this: "Can't find the specified file" when moving/renaming a folder 73b09f08-c248-429d-bdfd-606cb351a3b4?upload=true.png

I used that folder as an example, and it happens with every single folder.

Some people suggest i do "sfc /scannow", which would probably help... but... "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation."

and if i use DISM, then..

[== 4.5% ]

Error: 14098

The component store has been corrupted.

.. so, yea, i think it is something to do with my registry, but i have over 3TB worth of games, so i do not want to reset.

P.S it does not happen with files, just folders, and i have no restore points.

-Colin

:)

Colin Pucz, Jun 1, 2020

2. Renaming and moving folders

What steps do you take to try and rename a folder? Have you selected it and then right clicked on it to be able to rename it?

Moving a folder, where do you want to move it and from where?

The more information you provide about what you are wanting to do and how you are trying to do it the easier it may be to help you.

If necessary use steps recorder to show us.

HoraceWiggins, Jun 1, 2020
  3. Can't rename or move folders win10 but i can move and rename files.

1.Now with this update i can make a new folder and when i try to rename it i get : Can't find the specified file.

(i can't rename it with right click-properties either)

2. When i try to move the folder to a new location i get the same error: Can't find the specified file.

I already made this post and a user gave me a link to a different post and i think i found out my problem.

A guy on the other post gave me a fix, the problem is he told me to go to this path in my registry: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions\:

The problem is that i don't have "CurrentVersion" in my microsfot folder. Is that the problem? Is there a fix for it so i don't have to reinstall windows? "Can't find the specified file" when moving/renaming a folder :(

NikolaKovacevic, Jun 1, 2020
  4. JHargrove Win User

"Can't find the specified file" when moving/renaming a folder

Cannot Rename File Folders in Win10

Were you able to resolve your issue? This has started happening to me the last few days and it is driving me crazy. Symptoms are:

• Renaming any folder results in "Can't find the specified file"
    • Clicking 'Try Again' gives the error, "The file or folder does not exist"
    • I am able to rename folders through any means except Explorer. It is not a permissions issue. I can write a small program that renames folders fine, applications function normally ... it is just Explorer.

Really not wanting to wipe my system after I just spent a week getting it setup. "Can't find the specified file" when moving/renaming a folder :(

JHargrove, Jun 1, 2020
Thema:

"Can't find the specified file" when moving/renaming a folder

1. "Can't find the specified file" when moving/renaming a folder - Similar Threads - Can't find specified

2. The system cannot find the file specified error when starting bitlocker. Renaming the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The system cannot find the file specified error when starting bitlocker. Renaming the...: On my Windows 10 system. When I turn on bit locker, error appears "The system cannot find the file specified error when starting bitlocker". I tried to rename the ReAgent.xml to ReAgent.old, tried deleted the file to have it recreated, but error still appears. Anyone have any...
  3. The system cannot find the file specified error when starting bitlocker. Renaming the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The system cannot find the file specified error when starting bitlocker. Renaming the...: On my Windows 10 system. When I turn on bit locker, error appears "The system cannot find the file specified error when starting bitlocker". I tried to rename the ReAgent.xml to ReAgent.old, tried deleted the file to have it recreated, but error still appears. Anyone have any...
  4. The system cannot find the file specified error when starting bitlocker. Renaming the...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Create or rename folder issues - Can't find the specified file.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Create or rename folder issues - Can't find the specified file.: When I try to create a new folder on my W10 Pro desktop, I get the following error message:Rename FolderCan't find the specified file.Make sure you specify the correct path and file name.New FolderDate Created: xxxxxxxxxxThis is followed by:RenameThe file or folder does not...
  6. Create or rename folder issues - Can't find the specified file.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create or rename folder issues - Can't find the specified file.: When I try to create a new folder on my W10 Pro desktop, I get the following error message:Rename FolderCan't find the specified file.Make sure you specify the correct path and file name.New FolderDate Created: xxxxxxxxxxThis is followed by:RenameThe file or folder does not...
  7. Create or rename folder issues - Can't find the specified file.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Can’t find the specified file when trying to rename a file or folder in Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    Can’t find the specified file when trying to rename a file or folder in Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]If you cannot rename a file and get Can’t find the specified file error while renaming a file or folder, here is how you can fix the issue. It is pretty common when you move files from one folder to another and try to rename a folder at the same time. However, there...
  9. Can't move or rename folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't move or rename folders: When I try to move or rename a folder I get Can't find the specified file. Make sure you specify the correct path and file name. It seems that right-clicking would tell windows where the folder is. When I make a new folder it comes as Folder 1, Folder 2 etc. When I...
  10. Can't rename or move folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't rename or move folders: Hello, After installing KB3124200 & KB3116900 updates, I'm no longer able to rename or move folders. When I try, it gives the error "Can't find the specified file". I have done sfc /scannow but it didn't help. Also, I have run default file associations registry files...