Windows 10: Can’t find the specified file when trying to rename a file or folder in Windows 11/10

Discus and support Can’t find the specified file when trying to rename a file or folder in Windows 11/10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH]If you cannot rename a file and get Can’t find the specified file error while renaming a file or folder, here is how you can fix the issue. It... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Dec 18, 2021.

1. WinClub New Member

Can’t find the specified file when trying to rename a file or folder in Windows 11/10

Can’t find the specified file when trying to rename a file or folder in Windows 11/10 Cant-find-the-specified-file-1.png
    If you cannot rename a file and get Can’t find the specified file error while renaming a file or folder, here is how you can fix the issue. It is pretty common when you move files from one folder to another and try to rename a folder at the same time. However, there could be other reasons […]

This article Can’t find the specified file when trying to rename a file or folder in Windows 11/10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, Dec 18, 2021
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 18, 2021
  3. Renaming local files and folders issue

Hi,

To further assist you with renaming local files and folders, we suggest for you to check this

link
    and see the steps which has the marked as answer.

Let us know how it goes.

PreciousLeb, Dec 18, 2021
  4. JHargrove Win User

Can’t find the specified file when trying to rename a file or folder in Windows 11/10

Cannot Rename File Folders in Win10

Were you able to resolve your issue? This has started happening to me the last few days and it is driving me crazy. Symptoms are:

• Renaming any folder results in "Can't find the specified file"
    • Clicking 'Try Again' gives the error, "The file or folder does not exist"
    • I am able to rename folders through any means except Explorer. It is not a permissions issue. I can write a small program that renames folders fine, applications function normally ... it is just Explorer.

Really not wanting to wipe my system after I just spent a week getting it setup. Can’t find the specified file when trying to rename a file or folder in Windows 11/10 :(

JHargrove, Dec 18, 2021
Thema:

1. Can’t find the specified file when trying to rename a file or folder in Windows 11/10 - Similar Threads - Can’t find specified

2. How to find which file or folder is open when I try to rename a file?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to find which file or folder is open when I try to rename a file?: I am trying to rename a folder, but receive an error message that a file or folder is open.I rebooted already twice.How can I find what is holding the folder?Thanks,Efrat...
  3. How to find which file or folder is open when I try to rename a file?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to find which file or folder is open when I try to rename a file?: I am trying to rename a folder, but receive an error message that a file or folder is open.I rebooted already twice.How can I find what is holding the folder?Thanks,Efrat...
  4. The system cannot find the file specified error when starting bitlocker. Renaming the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The system cannot find the file specified error when starting bitlocker. Renaming the...: On my Windows 10 system. When I turn on bit locker, error appears "The system cannot find the file specified error when starting bitlocker". I tried to rename the ReAgent.xml to ReAgent.old, tried deleted the file to have it recreated, but error still appears. Anyone have any...
  5. Create or rename folder issues - Can't find the specified file.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Create or rename folder issues - Can't find the specified file.: When I try to create a new folder on my W10 Pro desktop, I get the following error message:Rename FolderCan't find the specified file.Make sure you specify the correct path and file name.New FolderDate Created: xxxxxxxxxxThis is followed by:RenameThe file or folder does not...
  6. Create or rename folder issues - Can't find the specified file.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create or rename folder issues - Can't find the specified file.: When I try to create a new folder on my W10 Pro desktop, I get the following error message:Rename FolderCan't find the specified file.Make sure you specify the correct path and file name.New FolderDate Created: xxxxxxxxxxThis is followed by:RenameThe file or folder does not...
  7. Create or rename folder issues - Can't find the specified file.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. "Can't find the specified file" when moving/renaming a folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Can't find the specified file" when moving/renaming a folder: Hi, I have a problem with my windows that is making me kind of mad to be honest, every time i try to delete, rename, or move a folder, it shows this:[ATTACH] I used that folder as an example, and it happens with every single folder. Some people suggest i do "sfc /scannow",...
  9. cant find specified file when trying to download

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    cant find specified file when trying to download: hello, how do I fix this?, when im trying to download a file? or do I need to create a new one? if so, how! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/cant-find-specified-file-when-trying-to-download/34b33f9b-5207-4ffb-88d4-7822dc441b2a
  10. File Explorer crashing when trying to rename folders

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer crashing when trying to rename folders: First off. Apologies if this is in the wrong forum *Redface So I have had Windows 10 for a couple of months now, and have never had any issues up until now. Whenever I try to rename a folder/ add new folder file explorer freezes as soon as i touch the keyboard. I've...