Windows 10: Can’t find the specified file when trying to rename a file or folder in Windows 11/10

Discus and support Can’t find the specified file when trying to rename a file or folder in Windows 11/10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH]If you cannot rename a file and get Can’t find the specified file error while renaming a file or folder, here is how you can fix the issue. It... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Dec 18, 2021.

1. WinClub New Member

Can’t find the specified file when trying to rename a file or folder in Windows 11/10

Can’t find the specified file when trying to rename a file or folder in Windows 11/10 Cant-find-the-specified-file-1.png
    If you cannot rename a file and get Can’t find the specified file error while renaming a file or folder, here is how you can fix the issue. It is pretty common when you move files from one folder to another and try to rename a folder at the same time. However, there could be other reasons […]

This article Can’t find the specified file when trying to rename a file or folder in Windows 11/10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, Dec 18, 2021
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 18, 2021
  3. Renaming local files and folders issue

Hi,

To further assist you with renaming local files and folders, we suggest for you to check this

link
    and see the steps which has the marked as answer.

Let us know how it goes.

PreciousLeb, Dec 18, 2021
  4. JHargrove Win User

Can’t find the specified file when trying to rename a file or folder in Windows 11/10

Cannot Rename File Folders in Win10

Were you able to resolve your issue? This has started happening to me the last few days and it is driving me crazy. Symptoms are:

• Renaming any folder results in "Can't find the specified file"
    • Clicking 'Try Again' gives the error, "The file or folder does not exist"
    • I am able to rename folders through any means except Explorer. It is not a permissions issue. I can write a small program that renames folders fine, applications function normally ... it is just Explorer.

Really not wanting to wipe my system after I just spent a week getting it setup. Can’t find the specified file when trying to rename a file or folder in Windows 11/10 :(

JHargrove, Dec 18, 2021
Thema:

1. Can’t find the specified file when trying to rename a file or folder in Windows 11/10 - Similar Threads - Can’t find specified

2. Renaming folders and files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Renaming folders and files: File folders and documents won't rename without refreshing. New folder won't appear without refreshing. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/renaming-folders-and-files/d173a7c3-230a-4a92-b71b-bb8308c3730d
  3. When I try and either rename a file, I get a message that the file name I specified was not...

When I try and either rename a file, I get a message that the file name I specified was not...: When I try and either rename a file, I get a message that the file name I specified was not valid or too long. All I am doing is changing a single digit so I know the file was updated?...
  4. Windows cannot find specified file.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows cannot find specified file.: For some reason every startup, this error message pops up if I don't have my tablet connected prior to starting up, it's not anything damaging, but it's a bit annoying that every time that I don't want to use the tablet, I get the "Windows cannot find specified file" message...
  5. "Can't find the specified file" when moving/renaming a folder

"Can't find the specified file" when moving/renaming a folder: Hi, I have a problem with my windows that is making me kind of mad to be honest, every time i try to delete, rename, or move a folder, it shows this:[ATTACH] I used that folder as an example, and it happens with every single folder. Some people suggest i do "sfc /scannow",...
  6. File explorer can’t find file

in Cortana
    File explorer can’t find file: I do a search in file explorer. It can’t find a file called “crystaldiskinfo”. I search “in” or “disk” or “info”. Tried it on my MacBook. Works fine. Why is windows 10 search so useless....
  7. Trying to rename a file in the "WindowsApps" folder

Trying to rename a file in the "WindowsApps" folder: Hi, Apologies if this has been answered previously, but I couldn't find an answer using Google! I am trying to apply a couple of mods for the game "State of Decay 2", which is located in the WindowsApps folder. Before I replace any files etc, I've always found it good...
  8. Rename file folder

Rename file folder: When I am trying to rename a number of files. I can do one and then for the next ones the program says the file is in use and cannot be changed. It is not in use anywhere. In order to rename, I have to close right out of File Explorer and then go back in and rename one file...
  9. cant find specified file when trying to download

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    cant find specified file when trying to download: hello, how do I fix this?, when im trying to download a file? or do I need to create a new one? if so, how! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/cant-find-specified-file-when-trying-to-download/34b33f9b-5207-4ffb-88d4-7822dc441b2a
  10. File Explorer crashing when trying to rename folders

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer crashing when trying to rename folders: First off. Apologies if this is in the wrong forum *Redface So I have had Windows 10 for a couple of months now, and have never had any issues up until now. Whenever I try to rename a folder/ add new folder file explorer freezes as soon as i touch the keyboard. I've...