Windows 10: Can’t finish device setup when setting up device for work

Discus and support Can’t finish device setup when setting up device for work in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So, I used to attend a middle school and they requested to manage my personal laptop. I’ve graduated just recently but I can’t disconnect the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Kei Cheu, May 28, 2023.

1. Kei Cheu Win User

Can’t finish device setup when setting up device for work

So, I used to attend a middle school and they requested to manage my personal laptop. I’ve graduated just recently but I can’t disconnect the organization or add my own account. I’ve reset my laptop multiple times but it has not disconnected. This is not the point. Now, I am stuck on the ‘setting up your device for work’ screen because the device setup cannot install an app requested by the organization. I’ve contacted the organization to help but they can not offer my help because I don’t go to their school anymore. Please suggest a solution.

:)

Kei Cheu, May 28, 2023

2. How to setup wifi direct settings and connect devices with windows 10 laptop and other mobile phones.

Thanks for getting back, Dee. Since only the mobile devices connected via Wi-Fi Direct following the steps above, then I suggest that you try adding your mobile device on your laptop. Follow these steps:

1. Navigate to Settings > Devices > Bluetooth & other devices.
    2. Click Add Bluetooth or other device.
    3. Under Add a device, select Everything else.
    4. Once your mobile phone appears, select it.
    5. Click Done when finished.

If you have additional questions, or if the issue persists after the troubleshooting steps above, please let me know by replying to this thread. This way, I'll get notified and respond back to you as soon as I can.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, May 28, 2023
  3. Device Manager Un-Hiding Hidden Devices

When you connect a plug and play device, Windows Plug and Play manager detects it, finds and installs the driver. Device Manager lists the device with a solid icon.

The driver is only removed when you uninstall the device, not simply by disconnecting the device. When the device is disconnected, its driver is still installed. By default, Device Manager only displays connected devices. When you show hidden devices, note the Bluetooth icon you see is semi-transparent (not opaque). That indicates a "non-present" device. Sometimes also called a "ghost" device. The driver is still installed but the device is not currently detected (i.e. not connected).

Device can be disconnected when
    • Device unplugged (e.g. removing a USB device)
    • Turning a device OFF
    • Disabling the device in BIOS (then windows won't detect it) or
    • Device failure

So
    • Check BIOS as suggested
    • Check board connections
    • Can b/t be turned off by a switch? or keyboard combination?
    Also possible the b/t h/w failed

ComputerGeek, May 28, 2023
  4. Mithin_EJ Win User

Cannot install Cortana Device Setup - Need Workaround

Hi Nicolas,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To get clarity on this issue and assist you with appropriate troubleshooting steps, kindly reply with the answers to the questions below.

1. Are you getting any error message?
    2. What is the version of Windows 10 you are using? You can refer this article to

Check for operating system information in Windows 10.

3. When you say does not find my device,
      which device are you using?

Please help us with the screenshot of the page in the application, where it says
    runs a an Surface Headphones app. Follow the steps mentioned in the

screenshot
    posted by Shawn ‘Cmdr’ Keene on Oct 2, 2015 to post the screenshot.

Try to uninstalling and reinstalling the Cortana Device Setup app and check if you're able to complete the setup. Invoke Works with select music services, paid subscriptions may be required. I suggest you to try reset Invoke, follow
    the below steps, and check if that helps.

1. Attach Power Cable
    2. Press and Hold the Mic Mute Button until Cortana Says, “Ready for setup.”

Note: the Invoke will not function until properly set up and linked to a Microsoft account.

I suggest you to follow this article on
    Set up my Harman Kardon Invoke with Cortana

I also suggest you to refer this article on
    Introducing Harman Kardon INVOKE with Cortana by Microsoft
    , where you can see the partners who support controlling invoke.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards,

Mithin_EJ, May 28, 2023
Thema:

1. Can’t finish device setup when setting up device for work - Similar Threads - Can’t finish device

2. your computer needs to restart to finish setting up this device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    your computer needs to restart to finish setting up this device: I've searched the issue on online, none of available solution worked and I just gone ahead and uninstall the latest installed firmware and get rid of...
  3. your computer needs to restart to finish setting up this device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    your computer needs to restart to finish setting up this device: I've searched the issue on online, none of available solution worked and I just gone ahead and uninstall the latest installed firmware and get rid of...
  4. Can’t finish device setup when setting up device for work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can’t finish device setup when setting up device for work: So, I used to attend a middle school and they requested to manage my personal laptop. I’ve graduated just recently but I can’t disconnect the organization or add my own account. I’ve reset my laptop multiple times but it has not disconnected. This is not the point. Now, I am...
  5. Can’t finish device setup when setting up device for work

Can’t finish device setup when setting up device for work: So, I used to attend a middle school and they requested to manage my personal laptop. I’ve graduated just recently but I can’t disconnect the organization or add my own account. I’ve reset my laptop multiple times but it has not disconnected. This is not the point. Now, I am...
  6. Windows 11 Wants to Finish Setting Up Device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Wants to Finish Setting Up Device: Why would Windows 11 prompt me to 'Finish Setting Up Device' even though I made no changes or ran setupfor nearly a month.James https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-wants-to-finish-setting-up-device/5952f5d5-fd4b-4b56-bddf-9f1523fab216
  7. Windows 11 Wants to Finish Setting Up Device

Windows 11 Wants to Finish Setting Up Device: Why would Windows 11 prompt me to 'Finish Setting Up Device' even though I made no changes or ran setupfor nearly a month.James https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-wants-to-finish-setting-up-device/5952f5d5-fd4b-4b56-bddf-9f1523fab216
  8. Your PC needs to be restarted to finish setting up this device

in Windows 10 Support
    Your PC needs to be restarted to finish setting up this device: Hello, Tonight I did a Windows Update and somehow something got screwed up. 1. When I start my computer, I get the BIOS cannot be updated message, but it will continue to load to the desktop eventually. 2. Once I get to the desktop, I see the following message: Your pc...
  9. Let's finish setting up your device

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Let's finish setting up your device: On one of my boot ups, before Windows 10 1909 loaded I got a Blue screen similar to the one shown on this site: https://www.ghacks.net/2019/08/09/how-to-disable-get-even-more-out-of-windows-on-windows-10/ But the box I got said: Let's finish setting up your device Is...
  10. Keep getting "restart to finish setting up devices"

in Windows 10 Customization
    Keep getting "restart to finish setting up devices": I just got a new Surface Book 2 (15 inch, i7, GTX1060). Took quite a while to install all the updates (including 1803), and now I keep getting an alert every time I turn on that asks me to restart the computer to finish setting up devices. The device manager shows the...