Windows 10: Can't format A drive to NTFS

Discus and support Can't format A drive to NTFS in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I recently received a new SSD and installed it into my system. I tried to format it into NTFS, which turned into the RAW format. When I try to reformat... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Jacob Martinez2, May 25, 2023.

1. Can't format A drive to NTFS

I recently received a new SSD and installed it into my system. I tried to format it into NTFS, which turned into the RAW format. When I try to reformat the drive in the Disk Management tool it says," The format did not complete successfully." I looked up some tutorials on this and it sent me to CMD. I ran as administrator and typed Diskpartlist diskselect x disklist volumeselect x volume format fs=ntfsthen it tells me "A Device Which Does Not Exist Was Specified"I can't format the drive to NTFS I'm really confused, I have never had this happen before. any help would be appreciated

:)

Jacob Martinez2, May 25, 2023
  2. Fernandz Win User

How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, May 25, 2023
  3. commonone Win User
    Can't format USB 32GB drive in NTFS format

Having read several threads of how to Format a USB drive into NTFS format.

I have 32GB stick and tried several methods to do this without success.

Tried

• changing the properties of the 'policy' of the drive in device manager
    • changing to 'default allocation unit size' in formatting
    • changing from 'quick format'
    • running as Admin with CMD Prompt and with ('drive letter': /fs:ntfs) this says cannot format a raw drive ??
    Yet no problems in formatting as Fat32.

Any other tips

commonone, May 25, 2023
  4. Can't format A drive to NTFS

Format external backup drive for NTFS

I purchased an external backup drive made by Verbatim. when I try to do a full system backup from Windows 10, I get the message that I can't backup to this drive because it is not formatted for NTFS. How do I format this drive for NTFS?

RobertNelson8, May 25, 2023
Thema:

Can't format A drive to NTFS

1. Can't format A drive to NTFS - Similar Threads - Can't format drive

2. Can't format a RAW drive to NTFS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't format a RAW drive to NTFS: I recently received a new SSD and installed it into my system. I tried to format it into NTFS, which turned into the RAW format. When I try to reformat the drive in the Disk Management tool it says," The format did not complete successfully." I looked up some tutorials on...
  3. Can't format a RAW drive to NTFS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't format a RAW drive to NTFS: I recently received a new SSD and installed it into my system. I tried to format it into NTFS, which turned into the RAW format. When I try to reformat the drive in the Disk Management tool it says," The format did not complete successfully." I looked up some tutorials on...
  4. Can't format a RAW drive to NTFS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't format A drive to NTFS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't format A drive to NTFS: I recently received a new SSD and installed it into my system. I tried to format it into NTFS, which turned into the RAW format. When I try to reformat the drive in the Disk Management tool it says," The format did not complete successfully." I looked up some tutorials on...
  6. Can't format A drive to NTFS

Can't format A drive to NTFS: I recently received a new SSD and installed it into my system. I tried to format it into NTFS, which turned into the RAW format. When I try to reformat the drive in the Disk Management tool it says," The format did not complete successfully." I looked up some tutorials on...
  7. NTFS FORMAT

NTFS FORMAT: Hello.I have two san disk usb sticks.One is extreme x64 3.0 purchase year 2009 and ultra de luxe 256 GB2020.For my ultra the default format was exfat but i changed it to NTFS.For older model i don't remember if i change it but is also in NTFS nowsan disk told me that the...
  8. Can't format USB drive in NTFS format

Can't format USB drive in NTFS format: I have a sandisk 128gig flashdrive its in exFAT, every time i try to re format it into NTFS format it gives me an error pop up saying "windows was unable to complete the format" i need it for the extra storage space, hope anyone knows the solution. please get back to me....
  9. USB drive can't be formatted to NTFS just FAT32

USB drive can't be formatted to NTFS just FAT32: Hello everyone I have been having this issue for about a day now, I'am trying to format my Kingston Traveler USB drive to NTFS, but in a few seconds windows will report that (Windows was unable to complete the formatting) What is this issue? Why can't I reformat it to NTFS?...
  10. Format external backup drive for NTFS

in Windows 10 Customization
    Format external backup drive for NTFS: I purchased an external backup drive made by Verbatim. when I try to do a full system backup from Windows 10, I get the message that I can't backup to this drive because it is not formatted for NTFS. How do I format this drive for NTFS?...