Windows 10: Can't format a RAW drive to NTFS

Discus and support Can't format a RAW drive to NTFS in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I recently received a new SSD and installed it into my system. I tried to format it into NTFS, which turned into the RAW format. When I try to reformat... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Jacob Martinez2, May 25, 2023.

1. Can't format a RAW drive to NTFS

I recently received a new SSD and installed it into my system. I tried to format it into NTFS, which turned into the RAW format. When I try to reformat the drive in the Disk Management tool it says," The format did not complete successfully." I looked up some tutorials on this and it sent me to CMD. I ran as administrator and typed Diskpartlist diskselect x disklist volumeselect x volume format fs=ntfsthen it tells me "A Device Which Does Not Exist Was Specified"I can't format the drive to NTFS I'm really confused, I have never had this happen before. any help would be appreciated

:)

Jacob Martinez2, May 25, 2023

2. Mirrored Drive gone from NTFS to RAW format

Hi Elias,

You may still give that a try. However, we can't guarantee that performing the suggested troubleshooting steps will resolve the RAW format issue.

In case the suggested troubleshooting steps doesn't make any difference, we suggest visiting our

TechNet forums
    , where we have support professionals who are well-equipped with the knowledge on such issues.

If you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to share them with us here. Your input is very much welcome in our Community.

Michelle Vil, May 25, 2023
  3. tf2029 Win User
    How to convert RAW partition to NTFS partition.

Thanks for your reply. Apparently the convert drive to NTFS doesn't work when the drive is RAW. After following your instructions in step 2 I get message "convert is not available for RAW drives.

Any suggestions?

tf2029, May 25, 2023
  4. commonone Win User

Can't format a RAW drive to NTFS

Can't format USB 32GB drive in NTFS format

Having read several threads of how to Format a USB drive into NTFS format.

I have 32GB stick and tried several methods to do this without success.

Tried

• changing the properties of the 'policy' of the drive in device manager
    • changing to 'default allocation unit size' in formatting
    • changing from 'quick format'
    • running as Admin with CMD Prompt and with ('drive letter': /fs:ntfs) this says cannot format a raw drive ??
    Yet no problems in formatting as Fat32.

Any other tips

commonone, May 25, 2023
Thema:

Can't format a RAW drive to NTFS

1. Can't format a RAW drive to NTFS - Similar Threads - Can't format RAW

2. Can't format a RAW drive to NTFS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't format a RAW drive to NTFS: I recently received a new SSD and installed it into my system. I tried to format it into NTFS, which turned into the RAW format. When I try to reformat the drive in the Disk Management tool it says," The format did not complete successfully." I looked up some tutorials on...
  3. Can't format a RAW drive to NTFS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't format a RAW drive to NTFS: I recently received a new SSD and installed it into my system. I tried to format it into NTFS, which turned into the RAW format. When I try to reformat the drive in the Disk Management tool it says," The format did not complete successfully." I looked up some tutorials on...
  4. Can't format A drive to NTFS

Can't format A drive to NTFS: I recently received a new SSD and installed it into my system. I tried to format it into NTFS, which turned into the RAW format. When I try to reformat the drive in the Disk Management tool it says," The format did not complete successfully." I looked up some tutorials on...
  5. Can't format A drive to NTFS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't format A drive to NTFS: I recently received a new SSD and installed it into my system. I tried to format it into NTFS, which turned into the RAW format. When I try to reformat the drive in the Disk Management tool it says," The format did not complete successfully." I looked up some tutorials on...
  6. Can't format A drive to NTFS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Hard drive changes from ntfs to raw during format

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drive changes from ntfs to raw during format: I have a 1 TB hard drive. It is in ntfs format. If I do a quick format the drive stays as NTFS. If I turn off the quick format, the drive changes to RAW and the format fails. Should I only do the quick format or is their someting wrong with the drive? 182775
  8. raw and ntfs partition

raw and ntfs partition: Had a disk partition that turned raw. Already read all the posts on converting raw partitions to ntfs partitions without formatting disk.Convert d: /fs:ntfs doesn't work returning message "d: is already ntfs". If I open disk management the partition d: is marked as raw, btw....
  9. Can't format USB drive in NTFS format

Can't format USB drive in NTFS format: I have a sandisk 128gig flashdrive its in exFAT, every time i try to re format it into NTFS format it gives me an error pop up saying "windows was unable to complete the format" i need it for the extra storage space, hope anyone knows the solution. please get back to me....
  10. Converting a RAW drive back to ntfs

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Converting a RAW drive back to ntfs: I have an external USB drive which has changed to a RAW drive from an NTFS drive, so Windows cannot access the drive. I have tried suggestions made on the Community website, so far non have worked, due to the fact I thing that the suggestions made are not up to date as far as...