Windows 10: can't format disk reads as primary partition

Discus and support can't format disk reads as primary partition in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; i reinstalled windows 10 and when back in windows i noticed the other ssd that i had windows on that i formated wouldnt let go of the partitions look... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by m0nk3n, Oct 26, 2018.

1. m0nk3n Win User

can't format disk reads as primary partition

i reinstalled windows 10 and when back in windows i noticed the other ssd that i had windows on that i formated wouldnt let go of the partitions look picture -> http://prntscr.com/lax1nc

want the whole ssd formated and ready for use again.

:)

m0nk3n, Oct 26, 2018
  2. Fernandz Win User

How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Oct 26, 2018
  3. W1zzard Win User
    W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Oct 26, 2018
  4. can't format disk reads as primary partition

Installing Windows Vista/7 on a GUID Partition Table

I've never tried multiple partitions so this is a shot in the dark...

At step #10, I would try setting the size parameter (it is in mebibytes) to how large you want the partition windows is installed on to be, then go ahead and install windows. This will leave the rest of the drive raw instead of consuming it into the OS partition (C drive). Once you successfully boot into Windows, you should be able to use Computer Management -> Disk Management to create partitions in the raw space.

If you really wanted to do it with diskpart before Windows is installed, you basically repeat the following lines making sure to specify a size if you don't want it to consume all remaining space:
    • create partition primary size=size in mebibytes here
    • format quick fs=ntfs label="appropriate name here"
    • assign letter=C thru Z here
    Obviously, you can use quick formatting or leave it out for full format. Leave off the size parameter when you reach the final partition that should consume all the remaining space. Also remember that the order you do this in goes from the outside of the disk (where it is fastest) to the inside of the disk (where it is slowest). Because of this, it is recommended to put EFI (e.g. size=300), then MSR (e.g. size=300), then Windows (e.g. size=30000), then Applications (e.g. size=70000), then Storage (e.g. no size parameter).

If I'm right, the above example would look like this:
    • diskpart
    • list disk
    • select disk <id>
    • online disk
    • attributes disk clear readonly
    • clean
    • convert gpt
    • create partition efi size=300
    • create partition msr size=300
    • create partition primary size=30000
    • format fs=ntfs label="Windows"
    • assign letter=C
    • create partition primary size=70000
    • format fs=ntfs label="Applications"
    • assign letter=D
    • create partition primary
    • format fs=ntfs label="Storage"
    • assign letter=E
    • exit

FordGT90Concept, Oct 26, 2018
Thema:

can't format disk reads as primary partition

1. can't format disk reads as primary partition - Similar Threads - can't format disk

2. Primary Disk Partition Can't extend without making it a Simple Volume

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Primary Disk Partition Can't extend without making it a Simple Volume: I have made a question before on how to change the Simple Volume back into a Primary Partition and they said I had to format which I did and it is now a Primary Partition but I want to remove that empty space and join it with the 1.6 TB partition but when I do so I get this...
  3. Help With A Primary Partition - Unable to perform operations on a disk partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help With A Primary Partition - Unable to perform operations on a disk partition: Hi,My laptop has a 1tb hdd and a 500gb ssd. I wanted to dual boot my laptop with ubunto and therefore made a partition for around a 100gb and decided to install ubunto on it. I had successfully installed ubunto on my hdd but found to be quite slow therefore thought of...
  4. Delete hard disk primary partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Delete hard disk primary partition: My pc was processing too slow, so I decide to upgrade the window 10 32bits to 64bits. The installer require an external storage which I decided to use my 500GB hard disk, during installation the system made a partition of about 30GB for the iso file. After the installation I...
  5. Delete hard disk primary partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Delete hard disk primary partition: My pc was processing too slow, so I decide to upgrade the window 10 32bits to 64bits. The installer require an external storage which I decided to use my 500GB hard disk, during installation the system made a partition of about 30GB for the iso file. After the installation I...
  6. Delete hard disk primary partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Converting logical disk partitions to primary

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Converting logical disk partitions to primary: My PC was purchased before Windows 10 and had the C drive partitioned to add data and program storage in separate spaces. I now wish to add the space from one of the logical partitions to the contiguous primary C partition. Having failed to notice 2 partitions are labelled as...
  8. Recovery Partition in the same Disk with the Primary Partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Recovery Partition in the same Disk with the Primary Partition: Hi... I noticed that my Recovery Partition is in the same Disk with my Primary Partition. is it gonna cause me a problem if i try to reset my laptop? I think it was supposed to be in a different Disk Partition. . [ATTACH]...
  9. Format unused space on primary disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Format unused space on primary disk: Some time ago I had to format my hard drive (a nominal 1 TB spinner) and re-install Windows 10. At the time I was considering setting up a dual-boot configuration, so I left about 290 GB unallocated for later use by the alternative OS. Since then I have changed my mind, and...
  10. Move system partition to primary disk?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Move system partition to primary disk?: So I recently formatted my Windows 8.1 system and installed Windows 10. But it seems that the setup decided to set my System parition to a separate HDD (G: ) and put the bootmgr and all the boot files there, instead of using the left-over 350MB System Reserved partition on my...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unable to format primary partition

2. outside format fs=ntfs what other do you have

3. cant format primary disk