Windows 10: Can't format external hard disk

Discus and support Can't format external hard disk in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I do have external harddisk from toshiba company. I tried to format it but windows always responds windows was unable to complete format.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Bijayan Pudasaini, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Can't format external hard disk

I do have external harddisk from toshiba company. I tried to format it but windows always responds windows was unable to complete format.

:)

Bijayan Pudasaini, Dec 11, 2019

2. Format Hard disk

I have an external hard drive . When i plug it into pc pc becomes slow , so I want to format it , but it is not possible in GUI mode .

Can I format it while booting??

Pls provide process steps too???

[Original Title: external Hard disk]

Hritik Kandari, Dec 11, 2019
  3. Formatting External hard drive.

1. Launch the Disk Manager with diskmgmt.msc
    2. Use right-clicks to delete all partitions on the external disk
    3. Create one or several new partitions
    4. Format them

Frederik Long, Dec 11, 2019
  4. Can't format external hard disk

External Hard disk contents are not visible.

Hi Pranoti,

For us to narrow down your concern with your external hard disk, we would like to know the following:

• Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue (e.g., updates, software installation)?
    • To make sure that we have not missed on anything, what troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Do you hear any clicking sound when connecting your hard disk?

In the meantime, we suggest that you update all your device driver.

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Dec 11, 2019
Thema:

Can't format external hard disk

1. Can't format external hard disk - Similar Threads - Can't format external

2. FORMATTING ONE PARTITION OF EXTERNAL HARD DISK.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    FORMATTING ONE PARTITION OF EXTERNAL HARD DISK.: I AM HAVING AN OLD INTERNAL HARD DISK OF NOT WORKING OLD Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop. This internal hard disk is having two partition named as 'C' and 'D' In partition 'C' PROGRAM FILES, WINDOWS OPERATING SYSTEM FILES AND SOME OF FREE SOFTWARE'S INSTALLED PROGRAMS. This...
  3. FORMATTING ONE PARTITION OF EXTERNAL HARD DISK.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    FORMATTING ONE PARTITION OF EXTERNAL HARD DISK.: I AM HAVING AN OLD INTERNAL HARD DISK OF NOT WORKING OLD Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop. This internal hard disk is having two partition named as 'C' and 'D' In partition 'C' PROGRAM FILES, WINDOWS OPERATING SYSTEM FILES AND SOME OF FREE SOFTWARE'S INSTALLED PROGRAMS. This...
  4. FORMATTING ONE PARTITION OF EXTERNAL HARD DISK.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. How to find formatted date for external hard disk?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to find formatted date for external hard disk?: How to find formatted date for external hard disk for exFAT? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-find-formatted-date-for-external-hard-disk/f58a9a65-cf09-499b-8022-b37b816430a2
  6. Format External hard disk drive.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Format External hard disk drive.: I have external hard disk drive which was prepared as a mini windows 10. I am trying to format from disk management and Command prompt. receiving below errors: Virtual Disk Service error: Clean is not allowed on the disk containing the current boot, system, pagefile,...
  7. Format hard disk

Format hard disk: I want to gift my laptop to a friend and would like to format the hard disk, but when I try to do it the message is I can't do it because it could cause my computer to stop working. How do I erase everything from my computer's memory?...
  8. Format my external hard disk

Format my external hard disk: Hello guys, I have changed my laptop's hard disk from its original one (HDD) to a SSD and now I want to use the HDD as an external disk for save lots of datas. The problem is that the whole old windows is still on the HDD disk, which means there are still the local disks C,...
  9. Format external hard drive

Format external hard drive: I’d like to format an external hard drive in windows 10. Please, give me instructions. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/format-external-hard-drive/ceefbfcb-e153-43f1-aa11-66086963ac41"
  10. Formatting External hard drive

Formatting External hard drive: Hi, I'm trying to reformat an external hard drive I own, when I go to disk management and right click the drive their is no format option. Not like it is grayed out and cannot click on it, it just isn't there. Anyone have any suggestions?...