Windows 10: can't format my 1TB external

Discus and support can't format my 1TB external in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My Seagate 1TB external won't reformat. I put Macrium Reflect 7 on my computer because I need to change my hard drive. I tried cloning my computer. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JOEROVINSKI, Jan 30, 2019.

1. can't format my 1TB external

My Seagate 1TB external won't reformat. I put Macrium Reflect 7 on my computer because I need to change my hard drive. I tried cloning my computer. I plugged the external in and it erased all my data and changed the name to F:Reserve. When I try to open it, it says file empty. When I check the properties it says there is only 498MB. I tried to format it and nothing happens. I need to know what to do.

:)

JOEROVINSKI, Jan 30, 2019
  2. Kreij Win User

Formatting a 1TB external hd

Yup, that's possible. Takes quite awhile to verify 1TB or space.
    You could have done a quick format in a few seconds.

Kreij, Jan 30, 2019
  3. Format an external Drive.

Hello Roger,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps to format the drive you are referring to.

• Right Click on Start menu and select Open Computer Management.

• In the left pane, under Storage, click Disk Management.

• Right-click the volume that you want to format, and then click Format.

• To format the volume with the default settings, in the Format dialog box, click
      OK, and then click OK again.
    Note: You cannot format a disk or partition that is currently in use, including the partition that contains Windows.

Hope it helps.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Jan 30, 2019
  4. can't format my 1TB external

1tb Fat32 external hdd

Hello all.

My windows can't open my 1tb fat32 external hdd. It formats it to some other thing. I need it to be fat32 so I could connect it to my ps3. Is there an alternate option to windows file ?

TenzinNamsay, Jan 30, 2019
Thema:

can't format my 1TB external

1. can't format my 1TB external - Similar Threads - can't format 1TB

2. WD My Passport 1TB External Harfd Drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    WD My Passport 1TB External Harfd Drive.: When I try to set up the WD Apps I get a message " This app can't run on your PC. " I am trying to restore files to a new PC. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wd-my-passport-1tb-external-harfd-drive/6ac13f82-25ef-47f3-b04d-8a2c40efd026
  3. My 1TB external HDD has been formatted to a 32GB and I can't change it back.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My 1TB external HDD has been formatted to a 32GB and I can't change it back.: I installed the windows media creation tool on it to use the drive to install windows 10 on a new SSD I have coming in the mail because I couldn't find my flash drive. Well, I found my flash drive and when I go back to my 1TB drive to remove the Windows 10 media file, it's...
  4. Can't format external hard disk

Can't format external hard disk: I do have external harddisk from toshiba company. I tried to format it but windows always responds windows was unable to complete format. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-format-external-hard-disk/04f8e492-9b46-431e-905d-812da33a1418
  5. Iomega 1TB External Hard Drive

Iomega 1TB External Hard Drive: I have an Iomega 1TB External Hard Drive that I cannot get to connect to my new computer. What do I need to do to get it to connect? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/iomega-1tb-external-hard-drive/5860dd62-9401-40e1-9671-23a6f9939118
  6. can't format external my passport

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can't format external my passport: was using the 2TB version and was backing up with it and decided to just delete everything and use as a storage device (drive). Now I can't access it and when I try to format it will go all the way and then say unable to format. I did not use any password function when I was...
  7. Can't format external USB drive.

Can't format external USB drive.: I am trying to format 2 partitions on an external 1TB USB3 drive. I had 2 ExFat partitions (partitions 6 and 7) which I have deleted and created 2 new ones using diskpart which I want to format NTFS. When I try to format them using disk management it hangs, explorer...
  8. Cannot format WD 1TB HDD

Cannot format WD 1TB HDD: I bought a new WD 1TB HDD and was running install/format when I had a power outage. When power came back I could not format this drive. The drive shows in Device Manager but fails format there and every where I have tried. I used UBDC and have not been able to format in...
  9. Raw formatted my external

Raw formatted my external: Ok so I recently accidently made my external USB drive into a raw, I was wondering if I could some how get it back, I think it still has the files on it, I got it so windows finally recognizes it but all it wants to do is format it. I want to keep all the files still on it...
  10. Formating 1tb external for Windows 10 & Mac OS on HP Pavilion G6

Formating 1tb external for Windows 10 & Mac OS on HP Pavilion G6: Hello, Need to undertake the above for my daughter's college course. Haven't a clue where to start and I am not particularly technical (understatement). Have found a lot stuff here about merits of FAT and exFat, but just need a working how to. Video will be involved at full...