Windows 10: Can't format old OS partition for a clean Win10 install

Discus and support Can't format old OS partition for a clean Win10 install in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm trying to do a clean Win10 installation on my old laptop, but the options to delete or format the disc partition where the old Win10 is installed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Arc_Vector, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Can't format old OS partition for a clean Win10 install

I'm trying to do a clean Win10 installation on my old laptop, but the options to delete or format the disc partition where the old Win10 is installed are grayed out. How can i fix this ? Image

Alternatively, If i choose to install without formatting the partition it says that my old files will be in a Windows.old folder. If i just delete that folder would it be the same as a clean install ? will there be any traces of the old OS in the registry or something ?

submitted by /u/Arc_Vector
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Arc_Vector, Nov 29, 2020
  2. AnaBura Win User

Installing WIn10 on machine with no OS. Issues with partition creation

Hello,

I have a Lenovo 5-15ARH05. It came with no OS installed. When I try to create a partition it simply won't show. If I manually create a partition, and follow the required steps (below), it will delete some file that came from manufacturer.
    Is that safe?

"This partition might contain files or applications from your computer manufacturer..."

1. list disk (and make note of the disk number to install Windows to)
    2. select disk=0 (where disk 0 is your destination drive, so be careful, all information on this drive will be removed)
    3. clean
    4. convert mbr
    5. create partition primary size=xxx (where xxx – is the size of new partition)
    6. select partition=1
    7. active
    8. format fs=ntfs quick
    9. assign
    10. exit

AnaBura, Nov 29, 2020
  3. Fernandz Win User
    How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Nov 29, 2020
  4. Can't format old OS partition for a clean Win10 install

After upgrading to Win 10 can one remove the old OS partition and do a clean install?

Ok, my 1TB hard drive has a partition with Win 8 on it. After making bootable media from Win10 can the recovery partition be removed from the HD and then do a clean reinstall? It seems rather wasteful use of disk space to have an old OS on the hard drive
    that you're never going to be using and I know low level formats haven't been supported by MS for sometime.

Also I'd like to know if the upgrade is or will be available on CD. I've always found that to be the fastest and easiest way to do a full recovery if necessary given download times, server issues and demand.

Also is there a link that shows the steps to making the bootable media?

Gene Collins, Nov 29, 2020
Thema:

Can't format old OS partition for a clean Win10 install

1. Can't format old OS partition for a clean Win10 install - Similar Threads - Can't format old

2. Use DiskPart to Create the OS Partition on Clean Install.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Use DiskPart to Create the OS Partition on Clean Install.: I have a Laptop HDD [ my preferred option as opposed to an SSD on this Laptop ] arriving on Friday and I want to use DiskPart to Setup the size of the OS Partition. The main reason I want to do it this way is because DiskPart can create an exact 30 GB Partition [ my OCD ] for...
  3. Help: Formatted EFI partition on dual OS install

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help: Formatted EFI partition on dual OS install: I wanted to fresh install my Pop OS alongside windows so burned an iso and checked to format my old pop os installation. I accidentally checked the format EFI partition too. Now I am unable to boot to windows. Any help is appreciated. submitted by /u/bprayush [link]...
  4. Installing WIn10 on machine with no OS. Issues with partition creation

Installing WIn10 on machine with no OS. Issues with partition creation: Hello, I have a Lenovo 5-15ARH05. It came with no OS installed. When I try to create a partition it simply won't show. If I manually create a partition, and follow the required steps below, it will delete some file that came from manufacturer. Is that safe? "This...
  5. Clean install win10 on ssd and formating old hdd?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Clean install win10 on ssd and formating old hdd?: Hey fellow redditors! For the first time ever I will get myself a gaming pc, my brothers old pc. It has an HDD with Windows 10 and other stuff. I am planning to clean install the Windows on the SSD and remove/blank the HDD. I know how to install the Windows on the SSD. But...
  6. Can't clean disk of old OS after updating

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can't clean disk of old OS after updating: I am running a Lenovo Thinkpad 10 tablet and have updated Win 10. I am getting a warning message that I'm now low on storage and need to delete the old copy. Nothing happens when I press yes and soon after get another warning message saying the same again. I went to the...
  7. Clean Win10 install on New SSD- formatting errors

Clean Win10 install on New SSD- formatting errors: Hi all, Operator skill level- medium - its been 4.5 years since my last build, zero experience installing Win8 or Win10 Brand new Clean install from full WIndows 10 USB3.0 retail package Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P motherboard AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 16 Gig...
  8. Delete or format partition during clean install windows

Delete or format partition during clean install windows: Hey guys i just join this forum and today i've plan to clean install my PC well i kinda noob with this one and i like to ask some question. Once you get to the Custom (Advanced) tab of Windows 10 clean install there are options to delete the partition, format, etc. Which one...
  9. Clean win10 install with completely formatted SSD

Clean win10 install with completely formatted SSD: Hi to all I have my Acer laptop around 2 months , and now i want to fresh install win 10 What I've done ,I created USB image via Rufus with Win10 home (which I had on my new laptop preinstalled) I writed down my licence key. Ive booted and cleaned SSD completely with new...
  10. Does clean install of Win10 format hard drive?

Does clean install of Win10 format hard drive?: Granted...this may be a dumb question...but I botched the upgrade to Win10 by selecting 32-bit instead of 64-bit. *Redface*cry*Sad I'm planning to do a clean install, from a bootable flash using the Media Creator tool (that includes the Ann. update) I know I'll lose all...