Windows 10: Can't format USB drive in NTFS format

Discus and support Can't format USB drive in NTFS format in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a sandisk 128gig flashdrive its in exFAT, every time i try to re format it into NTFS format it gives me an error pop up saying "windows was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by KireTrujillo, May 16, 2020.

1. Can't format USB drive in NTFS format

I have a sandisk 128gig flashdrive its in exFAT, every time i try to re format it into NTFS format it gives me an error pop up saying "windows was unable to complete the format" i need it for the extra storage space, hope anyone knows the solution. please get back to me.

:)

KireTrujillo, May 16, 2020
  2. commonone Win User

Can't format USB 32GB drive in NTFS format

Having read several threads of how to Format a USB drive into NTFS format.

I have 32GB stick and tried several methods to do this without success.

Tried

• changing the properties of the 'policy' of the drive in device manager
    • changing to 'default allocation unit size' in formatting
    • changing from 'quick format'
    • running as Admin with CMD Prompt and with ('drive letter': /fs:ntfs) this says cannot format a raw drive ??
    Yet no problems in formatting as Fat32.

Any other tips

commonone, May 16, 2020
  3. Fernandz Win User
    How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, May 16, 2020
  4. graye Win User

Can't format USB drive in NTFS format

Correct Format for USB Stick | FAT32? | NTFS? | Some Other Format?

So, that appears to indicate that Macrium doesn't care about the format... as long as the file system can be "seen" by your system.

I'd suggest exFAT...
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/3109559/hardware/why-your-usb-drives-file-format-matters-fat32-vs-exfat-vs-ntfs.html

graye, May 16, 2020
Thema:

Can't format USB drive in NTFS format

1. Can't format USB drive in NTFS format - Similar Threads - Can't format USB

2. Can't format a RAW drive to NTFS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't format a RAW drive to NTFS: I recently received a new SSD and installed it into my system. I tried to format it into NTFS, which turned into the RAW format. When I try to reformat the drive in the Disk Management tool it says," The format did not complete successfully." I looked up some tutorials on...
  3. Can't format a RAW drive to NTFS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't format a RAW drive to NTFS: I recently received a new SSD and installed it into my system. I tried to format it into NTFS, which turned into the RAW format. When I try to reformat the drive in the Disk Management tool it says," The format did not complete successfully." I looked up some tutorials on...
  4. Can't format a RAW drive to NTFS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't format A drive to NTFS

Can't format A drive to NTFS: I recently received a new SSD and installed it into my system. I tried to format it into NTFS, which turned into the RAW format. When I try to reformat the drive in the Disk Management tool it says," The format did not complete successfully." I looked up some tutorials on...
  6. Can't format A drive to NTFS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't format A drive to NTFS: I recently received a new SSD and installed it into my system. I tried to format it into NTFS, which turned into the RAW format. When I try to reformat the drive in the Disk Management tool it says," The format did not complete successfully." I looked up some tutorials on...
  7. Can't format A drive to NTFS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Unable to format USB Flash Drive as NTFS!

Unable to format USB Flash Drive as NTFS!: Hi, I had a 5GB file which I wanted to copy in my flash drive. But my drive was formatted in FAT32 system, so I tried to format it as NTFS. But from then it shows that Windows was unable to complete the format. I tried formatting using different computers and even...
  9. USB not being formatted to NTFS

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB not being formatted to NTFS: I have a Samsung Bar 8gb USB which doesn't format to NTFS file system in explorer it says windows unable to format, diskpart successes but when I try to replug in it says the disk structure is corrupted. What have I tried: Formatting in windows explorer (failed) Formatting...
  10. USB drive can't be formatted to NTFS just FAT32

USB drive can't be formatted to NTFS just FAT32: Hello everyone I have been having this issue for about a day now, I'am trying to format my Kingston Traveler USB drive to NTFS, but in a few seconds windows will report that (Windows was unable to complete the formatting) What is this issue? Why can't I reformat it to NTFS?...