Windows 10: Can't format USB even with Diskpart and disk management

Discus and support Can't format USB even with Diskpart and disk management in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi PeopleToday, I was creating a Windows Bootable USB using Rufus. While the creation was in progress at about 67% it stopped with the dialog box... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Satyam_Mishra, May 13, 2021.

1. Can't format USB even with Diskpart and disk management

Hi PeopleToday, I was creating a Windows Bootable USB using Rufus. While the creation was in progress at about 67% it stopped with the dialog box stating ".iso extraction failure." I opened 'This PC' and found that my USB was not listed there. When I reinserted my USB it appeared with a dialog box asking me to format the USB. I clicked the format button. It started processing and the process stopped after about 20 seconds with an error because the USB got disconnected and it automatically reconnected after 5 seconds. Every time I clicked the fo

:)

Satyam_Mishra, May 13, 2021
  2. Fernandz Win User

How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, May 13, 2021
  3. ze ultimo Win User
    diskpart doesn't show disk

Hey,

I am trying to install Win10 on a mac book air.

However the diskpart does not list the disk even after reformatting the partition as NTFS per suggestion.

read through this solution but cannot move to step 1 listed in the solution by Ivan as that disk doesn't see that partition it was just able to reformat.

Regards

ze ultimo, May 13, 2021
  4. thraxed Win User

Can't format USB even with Diskpart and disk management

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, May 13, 2021
Thema:

Can't format USB even with Diskpart and disk management

1. Can't format USB even with Diskpart and disk management - Similar Threads - Can't format USB

2. External Hard disk not Showing up in disk management and diskpart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard disk not Showing up in disk management and diskpart: Hi, recently I wanted to format my fat32 external hard disk to NTFS. I copied the files and in between the copy was stopped and my laptop was hanged, when I unplugged the external hard disk the hang issue was sorted. When I again inserted my hard disk, it hung again, somehow,...
  3. External Hard disk not Showing up in disk management and diskpart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Hard disk not Showing up in disk management and diskpart: Hi, recently I wanted to format my fat32 external hard disk to NTFS. I copied the files and in between the copy was stopped and my laptop was hanged, when I unplugged the external hard disk the hang issue was sorted. When I again inserted my hard disk, it hung again, somehow,...
  4. External Hard disk not Showing up in disk management and diskpart

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Can't fix USB drive with diskpart

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't fix USB drive with diskpart: I'm trying to format a USB drive but I can't because the computer doesn't see it. So, I go into diskpart, I select the USB drive, and the clean command just throws an "Access is denied" error over and over. I'm running powershell as an admin. Does anyone know how to fix...
  6. Removable USB Drive Showing as Read only in Disk Management but not in DiskPart

Removable USB Drive Showing as Read only in Disk Management but not in DiskPart: So about a year ago I made this drive into a recovery drive. However, the last time my computer had an issue that would require this drive, it didn't show up as a recovery drive when plugged in. I have decided that I would like to reuse this drive however when I attempted to...
  7. USB wont format using diskpart

USB wont format using diskpart: whenever im using diskpart to format a usb it comes up with the followign error: 'DiskPart has encountered an error: The system cannot find the file specified. See the System Event Log for more information.' 136147
  8. Are Diskpart and Disk Management on the same PC???

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Are Diskpart and Disk Management on the same PC???: Hi ..... a little bit of weirdness on a recent install ..... take a look at the screen captures taken on my laptop linked to below and you'll see what I'm getting at in the title to the post (the Disk Management version is correct) .... look forward to feedback ..... Alan...
  9. Many disk with no media appear in my disk management and diskpart

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Many disk with no media appear in my disk management and diskpart: Hi, After installing a new copy of windows 10 in my PC, and after checking disk management then diskpart command I found that there is many disks appear saying removable no media as per the screenshot below. [ATTACH] [ATTACH] Why these disks appear, and what it's used...
  10. inconsistent partition info in disk manager / diskpart

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    inconsistent partition info in disk manager / diskpart: Hello Forum! I hope I can find a guru here, who can explain the "interesting" phenomena of different partition types (in disk manager it's actually listed in the "status" column) being displayed by disk manager vs diskpart. The setup: disk0 has 8 partitions (3 primary,...