Windows 10: Can't format USB showing I/O error

Discus and support Can't format USB showing I/O error in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello everyone! I am sorry. if this is wrong to post this issue. Actually I've created a bootable USB using rufus. Later I'm unable to format that USB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by AffanTheBest, Feb 1, 2021.

1. Can't format USB showing I/O error

AffanTheBest, Feb 1, 2021
  2. freebird_9924, Feb 1, 2021
  3. Fernandz Win User
    How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Feb 1, 2021
  4. Can't format USB showing I/O error

Can't update audio driver- Showing I/O device error

Hi Christa,

An I/O Device error can occur with different types of hardware devices or media, such as external hard drives, SD cards, SSD, USB flash drives or pen drives. For us to isolate the issue, we suggest that you run the hardware and devices troubleshooter by
    following these steps:

• Open the Settings app.
    • Type Troubleshooting on the search box.
    • Click on Troubleshooting.
    • On the left pane, click on View all.
    • Select Hardware and Devices.
    • Click on Next button and follow the on screen guide.
    • Restart your computer and check if the issue persists.

Let us know if the steps above helped you to resolve the issue.

Janeane Cru, Feb 1, 2021
Thema:

Can't format USB showing I/O error

1. Can't format USB showing I/O error - Similar Threads - Can't format USB

2. Can't format USB showing I/O error

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't format USB showing I/O error: Hello everyone! I am sorry. if this is wrong to post this issue. Actually I've created a bootable USB using rufus. Later I'm unable to format that USB it always says write protected media. Please help me to fix this issue. Screenshots :...
  3. Can't format USB drive in NTFS format

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't format USB drive in NTFS format: I have a sandisk 128gig flashdrive its in exFAT, every time i try to re format it into NTFS format it gives me an error pop up saying "windows was unable to complete the format" i need it for the extra storage space, hope anyone knows the solution. please get back to me....
  4. I cant use ssd on usb(i/o device error)

I cant use ssd on usb(i/o device error): Hello, I changed my laptop ssd with a bigger one and i want to use the old one as external. It works well when it is inside my computer, but i bought a SATA to usb cable and i cant get it to work as external. The weird thing is the new ssd I have works well with this cable...
  5. Raw drive, can't format, can't recover files, can't backup, Device I/O error.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Raw drive, can't format, can't recover files, can't backup, Device I/O error.: Here the fellas, I think the tittle is pretty self explanatory so I'll try to be brief, I've got 2 HDD's one for the OS and one for the important stuff, during a boot problem it seems that the boot drive got messed up and I couldn't get into windows anymore, I reinstalled...
  6. Error 'cannot format the USB drive'

in Windows 10 Customization
    Error 'cannot format the USB drive': Hello, I have Windows 10 and it does not allow me to format the USB memory ?. Does anyone know why the computer does not allow me to format it? And now it's inaccessible, I tried to format it to factory settings so it's reusable again....
  7. I/O error

I/O error: After window 10 auto undated. Samsung SCX-3405FW scanner is not working. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/io-error/55d65e0f-9404-4cd6-bce6-09c3f2363377
  8. Can't format Write-Protected USB

Can't format Write-Protected USB: I attempted to download a recovery image for my PC so I could reset it. I attempted to reset it from settings, and it said I needed a recovery media. So I downloaded the recovery media from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10. Then I tried again, and...
  9. Can't format external USB drive.

Can't format external USB drive.: I am trying to format 2 partitions on an external 1TB USB3 drive. I had 2 ExFat partitions (partitions 6 and 7) which I have deleted and created 2 new ones using diskpart which I want to format NTFS. When I try to format them using disk management it hangs, explorer...
  10. Can't format my Kingston usb.

Can't format my Kingston usb.: I used my usb to boot Ubuntu onto my laptop that I hoped that I could diagnose it but it didn't work. Now, I'd like to use of as a normal usb drive but windows doesn't like formatting it... I tried many methods to get it formatted but none of them worked. Please tell...