Windows 10: Can't get computer to start in safe mode in Windows 10

Discus and support Can't get computer to start in safe mode in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm trying to solve my screen flickering issue, and the prescription is to start in safe mode and uninstall my existing display adapter and then run... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JackieDoss, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Can't get computer to start in safe mode in Windows 10

I'm trying to solve my screen flickering issue, and the prescription is to start in safe mode and uninstall my existing display adapter and then run Windows update. But I can't seem to get my computer to start in safe mode. The steps are as follows for starting in safe mode:

1. elect the Start Windows logo Start button button, then choose Settings Gear-shaped Settings icon.
    2. 2
      Select Update & security Circular arrows Sync icon > Recovery.
    3. 3
      Under Advanced startup select Restart now.
    4. 4
      After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart.
    5. 5
      After your PC restarts, select a startup setting by pressing the corresponding number.
    6. But when I get so step 5, my computer does not respond. I press #4. I press F4. I press Fn F4. Nothing works. It just sits there, and then eventually it just shuts down and does not restart. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

:)

JackieDoss, Jan 8, 2019

2. Boot into Safe Mode on Windows 10  

I am stuck in Safe Mode in spite of following all the suggested steps to go back to Normal Startup - Like opening file location of msconfig.exe & running as Administrator. The computer I am trying to get out of safe mode has just been updated from Windows 7.

GreatWhiteNorth, Jan 8, 2019
  3. Password not working in safe mode, windows 10

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

In order to help you better, could you please confirm a couple of things:

• What happens exactly when you enter the password?
    • Are you getting any error message?
    • How have you booted your computer into safe mode?
    • Are you using local or Microsoft account to login?

I suggest you to force restart your computer and check whether you can get back your computer to normal mode.

You may follow the steps from the below article to place the computer in safe mode and check if it helps.

Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Jan 8, 2019
  4. Can't get computer to start in safe mode in Windows 10

safe mode and computer issues

Hi Cheryl,

I realize that you are unable to access any programs on your PC. I will try to help you with this issue.

Please answer these questions to get more clarity on this issue:

• Did you make any changes to the PC after which you are facing this issue?

• Does this issue occur on a different user account?

Follow the steps from this article to boot into Safe Mode properly and test if that helps.

Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

Keep us informed to help you further.

Srimadhwa B, Jan 8, 2019
Thema:

Can't get computer to start in safe mode in Windows 10

1. Can't get computer to start in safe mode in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Can't computer start

2. Computer Only Starts in Safe Mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer Only Starts in Safe Mode: Hello,Two days ago, when I wanted to start my laptop it didn't start. I tried to see if the num lock and caps lock keys worked and they didn't. So then I shut it down because nothing happened, there was only a black screen. The cursor didn't show up either.Anyways, my...
  3. Computer Only Starts in Safe Mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer Only Starts in Safe Mode: Hello,Two days ago, when I wanted to start my laptop it didn't start. I tried to see if the num lock and caps lock keys worked and they didn't. So then I shut it down because nothing happened, there was only a black screen. The cursor didn't show up either.Anyways, my...
  4. Computer Only Starts in Safe Mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Can't get into safe mode on Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't get into safe mode on Windows 10: I'm using a Lenovo ideapad 320S. Following recent Windows updates I now get a stopcode but screen and going whizzing round in a loop, occasionally I'll get to the blue repairs screens. I'm aware that I need to open in safe mode and try to remove recent updates, however...
  6. Can't get windows 10 out of safe mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't get windows 10 out of safe mode: I lost the internet wifi and rebooted and the screen was in safe mode with this windows update: Microsoft RWindowR Build 18362.19h1_release.190318-1202 this is written across the top of the screen along with an icon on my desktop referring to the same update. I've tried to...
  7. Can't get into Safe mode

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't get into Safe mode: If I use msconfig at the boot tab, I cannot set any options to get into safe mode. Also, if I use the Shift / Restart option I do not get the Advanced menu to select more options and Restart. The only option under Advanced this way is uefi settings. Thanks. 116929
  8. Can't start up computer. Problem with safe mode.

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't start up computer. Problem with safe mode.: So what happened was trying to uninstall a program on my computer, so I put it into safe mode. I restarted my computer, but when the login screen appeared, the box where you enter your password did not appear. All there was was the blue Windows wallpaper. I tried to fix...
  9. Windows 10 can't get out of the safe mode!

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 can't get out of the safe mode!: Hi. I have a big problem I put my PC in safe mode but when I try to get out I can't I press the windows key and the R and then put msconfig. A window opens but it closes right after. I can't so anything please please please please help! 19066
  10. can't get out of safe mode

in Windows 10 Support
    can't get out of safe mode: Hello, I was having trouble with a usb drive and found a tutorial that suggested I go into safe mode to fix it. Due to there not being an F8 boot command screen any more I had to go into msconfig to change how the computer starts up.. which is now set to safe mode. So i'm...