Windows 10: Can't get Gigabit speed on my Win 10 PC's.

Discus and support Can't get Gigabit speed on my Win 10 PC's. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Need some help. I recently got Verizon FIOS Gigabit Internet service. I have 3 pc's in the house all with gigabit nic adapters. PC: HP 6300 OS:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by mantorras77, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Can't get Gigabit speed on my Win 10 PC's.

Need some help. I recently got Verizon FIOS Gigabit Internet service. I have 3 pc's in the house all with gigabit nic adapters.

PC: HP 6300
    NIC: Intel 82579LM
    DRIVER: v12.15.31.4
    SPEED: 844 down 964 up

PC: HP 8200
    NIC: Intel 82579LM
    DRIVER: v12.15.31.4
    SPEED: 504 down 931 up

PC: HP z600
    NIC: Broadcom BCM5764 NetXtreme
    DRIVER: v16.8.0.3
    SPEED: 361 down 499 up

I have narrowed the troubleshooting down to the pc's by testing the speed using the same nic cable and same port in router. As you can see my HP 6300 and HP 8200 both have the same NIC and driver version and the only difference is the OS. The speeds on my 6300 are fine. It's just my 8200 and Z600 I would like to get closer to my 6300 speeds. Any one have any ideas?

:)

mantorras77, Oct 15, 2017

2. Lenovo Q190 NIC incompatability, waking up from sleep mode

I have a Lenovo Q190 and after the Win 10 upgrade and all updates installed, the Gigabit ethernet fails to copy at Gigabit speed. It maxes out at Fast Ethernet Speeds. If i use my USB 3.0 Gigabit NIC dongle, I can get full Gig E speeds.

When I roll back to win 8, i can't get Gig E speeds until I install all the Win 8.1 drivers and even then it takes a while before it happens.

After a week with Win 10 i never get Gig E speeds and my machine randomly wakes up from sleep after a few mins.

Has anyone successfully migrated a q190 to Windows 10 x64?

Veer Maharaj, Oct 15, 2017
  3. Network speed issue with windows 10 build 10.0.16299.125

Robert,

Thank you for the reply.

The issue I am having is with the wired connection. Wireless is working fine.

I am not getting anywhere near the 1 Gigabit speed that AT&T is providing to the 1 Gigabit port on the router. This is only with the Windows 10 (build 10.0.16299.125).

I believe the issue is with build 10.0.16299.125 as I get 700mbps - 900mbps speeds when booting on a Linux thumb drive. This confirms that the AT&T fiber and router are
    at the 1 Gigabit speed that I pay for. It also confirms that the NIC is operating correctly.

My brother has AT&T Gigabit fiber at his home and is getting 750mbps - 850mbps speeds. He has Win 10 Pro (build 10.0.10586) installed. His wife is only getting speeds
    in the 350mbps range on her ethernet connected laptop which has the same build as I PC ( 10.0.16299).

I am not having any issues with connectivity or dropped connections. I just cannot get the speed that I should be getting when running the Win 10 (10.0.16299.125) build.

MichaelDeMeo, Oct 15, 2017
  4. Phone Man Win User

Can't get Gigabit speed on my Win 10 PC's.

On my Windows 10 systems I use this version of Speedtest from the MS store. It only runs on Windows 10.
    See if it makes a difference. It did with my systems.

Can't get Gigabit speed on my Win 10 PC's. [​IMG]

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Oct 15, 2017
  5. Samuria Win User
    What are the settings of the NIC often the NIC may be set to full duplex and it's not capable of that as it means uploading and downloading at the same time any noise can stop this like mains close to cable, microwave, TV etc

Samuria, Oct 15, 2017
  6. Hmmmm thanks Jim..using your suggestion I get:

PC: HP 8200
    SPEED:
    652 down 750 up

PC:
    HP z600
    SPEED:
    729 down 945 up

Made a big difference on my Z600 but not on my 8200. My original OP tests were done with Verizon's proprietary site speedtest.verizon.net. So not sure whats going on there.

7. They're set to Auto Negotiate Samuria. Thanks.

8. Can't get Gigabit speed on my Win 10 PC's.

actually this is strange:

my HP Z600:
    Verzion Speed test site: 361 down 499 up
    Ookla Speed test site: 287 down 465 up
    Ookla Speed test app (Win10 Store): 729 down 945 up

mantorras77, Oct 16, 2017
  9. swarfega Win User
    Try setting it to gigabit or 1000 rather than auto. Also what are the ethernet cables, cat 5 or 6?

swarfega, Oct 16, 2017
  10. Phone Man Win User
    In Jan when I first got ATT Fiber 1Gb service I was seeing the same thing and found that Ookla version in the Win10 Store.
    I also have been running a FCC trial by SamKnows and their results are closer to the Win 10 version of Ookla. They use a modified router that runs their test so it bypasses the PC so I am confident in the results for the W10 Store version of Ookla.

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Oct 16, 2017
  11. hmm weird I don't have 1000 as an option. Only 10 and 100. Cat 6 cables.

12. NavyLCDR New Member
    The tests you are running are not telling you what speed your NICs are connecting to the router at. Your tests are telling you what your internet speed connection is to internet servers outside your house. To see what speed your NICs are connecting at you need to look at your network properties:

Can't get Gigabit speed on my Win 10 PC's. [​IMG]

NavyLCDR, Oct 16, 2017
  13. bro67 Win User

This problem has zero to do with cables or speed tests. What your set speed by AT&T in http://192.168..254/cgi-bin/broadbandstatistics.ha for Downstream and Upstream are what you are getting from AT&T. Every machine is going to be different if something is happening on the network at the same time and on those computers. You can get 1000mbps in the network adapter settings and your set speed by AT&T are correct. That has zero to do with the fact that speed test websites are not meant to know what your ISP allows you to have. It is what you are getting between your computer and the speed test website, which operates like our Interstates and highways. Speeds will vary.

Make sure that you are using the AT&T servers if you test from speedtest .com. Always use closes server. Your speeds will vary. Every OS is going to show different speeds, especially computers with onboard network adapters.

bro67, Oct 16, 2017
  14. bro67 Win User
    If you only see 10/100 for that network adapter. That means that is all that you are going to get for half-duplex and full-duplex.

bro67, Oct 16, 2017
  15. All my pc's are connected at 1.0 Gbps on my network.

Thema:

1. Can't get Gigabit speed on my Win 10 PC's. - Similar Threads - Can't Gigabit speed

2. Why is my actual download speed so slow when I'm supposed to be getting gigabit speed internet.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is my actual download speed so slow when I'm supposed to be getting gigabit speed internet.: Whenever I test my download speed online it says it can download up to 600ish mbps, but when I actually download something the download speed gets capped at around 80 mbps. I have a gigabit internet service so I should be getting download speeds to match. What do I need to do...
  3. Why is my actual download speed so slow when I'm supposed to be getting gigabit speed internet.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is my actual download speed so slow when I'm supposed to be getting gigabit speed internet.: Whenever I test my download speed online it says it can download up to 600ish mbps, but when I actually download something the download speed gets capped at around 80 mbps. I have a gigabit internet service so I should be getting download speeds to match. What do I need to do...
  4. Why is my actual download speed so slow when I'm supposed to be getting gigabit speed internet.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. gigabit speed issue

gigabit speed issue: Hello,I have gigabit internet. I am supposed to get 1000 Mbps download and somewhere closer to 900 in terms of upload. In my first speed test, I was getting 300 Mbps download and 5 Mbps in upload. I managed to get 920 Mbps download but I only managed to bump up my upload to...
  6. Ethernet Adapter support for Gigabit Speeds

Ethernet Adapter support for Gigabit Speeds: Hi there, I am thinking of upgrading to fibre to get gigabit speeds around (950/500ish) And I am wondering how can I confirm that my network card (via ethernet) will actually support gigagbit speeds? I have checked these two settings here, and the network card actually has...
  7. Unable to get gigabit speeds on Windows, but works fine on Linux

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to get gigabit speeds on Windows, but works fine on Linux: I recently had my PC upgraded to and Ethernet connection, but I'm not getting the speeds I should. Speedtest says I'm getting ~150Mb/s down, while my friend's pc is getting ~700Mb/s. We've tested using his laptop with the same cable, booting in safe mode, and using different...
  8. Not getting gigabit speeds, and it's on my end

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Not getting gigabit speeds, and it's on my end: About a week ago, I upgraded my internet plan from 300mbps to the gigabit plan. I'm still getting around 350mbps download. I had a Comcast tech out here, and he confirmed for me that I am indeed getting gigabit speeds. He plugged in his laptop to my modem directly, and was...
  9. Windows 10 With Gigabit Internet, Updates Lost Speed

Windows 10 With Gigabit Internet, Updates Lost Speed: Hello I'm currently having some strange problems with internet speeds on my main Windows 10 machine. I have gigabit internet services but have only been able to get more more then 400mbps rather then the normal 800 - 960mbps. This machine is custom built using Cat6a...
  10. Can't get PC to SLEEP with Win 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't get PC to SLEEP with Win 10: I had no problem with Windows 7, but now with Win 10 Pro 64bit, when I click on SLEEP it works, UNTIL I switch off the screen or switch off my wifi mouse, then the system gets activated again. I think I've managed to do it by lining up the pointer with my mouse, switching...