Windows 10: Can't get Homegroup Password

Discus and support Can't get Homegroup Password in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I had to do a complete reinstall of Windows 10. However, the new install still recognizes the old homegroup and I didn't write down the password.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by azskip, Jan 2, 2016.

1. azskip Win User

Can't get Homegroup Password

Hi, I had to do a complete reinstall of Windows 10. However, the new install still recognizes the old homegroup and I didn't write down the password. Now I can't change the password. When I open up the homegroup window, I can join, change sharing settings, but I can't change the password. I have administrator rights for the pc. Help!

:)

azskip, Jan 2, 2016

2. Can't get into my Homegroup

My Windows build was corrupted after dealing with Tech Support and I had to reset my PC; but I wasn't able to print out or access my homegroup password. This PC was the owner of the Homegroup and I was the administrator. Now it asks me to join the Homegroup;
    but I don't have the password to do so. I can't get into it, can't change the password, and can't make a new homegroup. Not sure what to do anymore.

TroyMepyans, Jan 2, 2016
  3. MBeam Win User
    Win 10 stopped homegroup for all computers

I have a Dell desktop (old win 7), a Dell laptop (old win 8.1) and a Toshiba Encore tablet (old win 8.1) that I have upgraded to win 10. I checked the homegroup and all three computers ask me to join a homegroup. All three were in the same homegroup before
    the upgrade. There is no option to cancel the homegroup and make a new one. The desktop asks for a password but then says that windows cannot detect a homegroup and to go to control panel/homegroup to set up a new homegroup. When I do that I get the page
    that asks me to join a homegroup.

Both the laptop and the tablet go directly to the verifying your password from the homegroup sharing page without asking for a password to verify.

So, I can't join a homegroup that doesn't exist and I can't delete the homegroup (that doesn't exist) and create a new homegroup.

What do I do to get a homegroup?

Not happy!!

MBeam, Jan 2, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

davidhk, Jan 2, 2016
  5. azskip Win User
    Thank you davidhk. Accessing the homegroup page that way gave me the option to create a new homegroup and password!

azskip, Jan 2, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    Nice !

You are welcome.

davidhk, Jan 2, 2016
  7. Arghie Win User
    Hopefully I can pick your brain. I followed these directions and get none of the option listed. I can only join the homegroup that it says I created (and can't find the password for).

Arghie, Jan 20, 2016
  8. davidhk Win User

I apologize.
    I am not sure I have an answer/solution for you.

Please wait a bit. Someone will come along to help you.
    Good luck.

davidhk, Jan 20, 2016
  9. Filos Win User
    I have exactly the same problem. Impossible to find a solution! *Sad

Filos, Jul 30, 2016
  10. gogreen Win User
    Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > then, bottom left under "See also" click "HomeGroup." Then try "Start the HomeGroup troubleshooter."

Not a solution, but maybe it can help.

gogreen, Jul 30, 2016
  11. Filos Win User
    Already done, but, unfortunately, it didn't works. Many thanks! *Smile

Filos, Jul 30, 2016
  12. Ron AKA Win User
    Sign out of the Homegroup with all computers on the local network. Power down all of them but the main one. Go to Homegroup Control Panel, and set up a new Homegroup. It should assign a new password. Turn on another computer and join the new Homegroup. As you do each computer wait until the warning about discovering the other computers goes away before you do the next one.

Hope that works...

Ron AKA, Jul 31, 2016
  13. Filos Win User

Thank you very much, Ron, I did, exactly as you said, and I have a new homegroup now. It was a waste of time trying to find a homegroup that didn’t respond.

Filos, Aug 1, 2016
  14. What can I do if I no longer have the COMPUTER the Homegroup is looking for??

egwarhammer, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't get Homegroup Password - Similar Threads - Can't Homegroup Password

2. Can't get password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can't get password: A friend gave me a laptop before he left our community. He did bypass the password, so I can get into the computer. However, I can't change it to my information because I don't have his password. Is there anyway to get around this? Thanks! Toni...
  3. How to reset homegroup password

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to reset homegroup password: How do I reset my homegroup password? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-reset-homegroup-password/6031a9b6-2b24-49ed-9085-66827a358d1d
  4. can't find homegroup or it's password windows 10

can't find homegroup or it's password windows 10: All of the instructions that I seem to be able to find in reference to View (find) the password for a Homegroup give me instructions such as "1. Click Start & then click Control Panel"; "2. Click Network and Internet and then click HomeGroup"; 3. View or print the homegroup...
  5. where is windows10 HomeGroup password

where is windows10 HomeGroup password: can not find windows10 HomeGroup password ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-is-windows10-homegroup-password/875555a8-6e47-4fd6-9ebd-b69ad72575a7
  6. Homegroup Password?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Homegroup Password?: Where do I find my homegroup password? I can see questions on the forum but I don't know how to view the answers or replies. Thank you, Shirley https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/homegroup-password/c32b50ed-6076-46c1-a35a-bc5daae0a932
  7. Can't Access Homegroup

Can't Access Homegroup: Have a new L/T, can access the Internet but can't join an existing Home group to use my printer Believe that the existing HG doesn't exist anymore. Help!...
  8. can't connect to the homegroup

can't connect to the homegroup: Hello! At home we have 4 PCs, I used to share file using homegroups without any issues. just three days ago, I had to reinstall the windows on an HP Mini, and after that it couldn't connect to the homegroup, instead it says Create a homegroup. I have tried: -to clean the...
  9. cant add a new PC to my homegroup..will not accept homegroup password

cant add a new PC to my homegroup..will not accept homegroup password: I am having a home group password recognition problem setting up a new W10 pc with an old W10 laptop. The new PC will not recognize the original homegroup pw originally set up from my laptop. Is there a way of deleting the old homegroup and setting up a new one from...
  10. Can't find "show password" for homegroup

Can't find "show password" for homegroup: Hi folks - having trouble recovering my password for a Homegroup, Windows 10. I know, know - I don't know why I don't have it written down along with my other bazillion passwords... I'm on the computer I used to set up the Homegroup, which I vaguely recall setting up a...