Windows 10: Can't Get Linux installed on HP Probook

Discus and support Can't Get Linux installed on HP Probook in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I know this is for windows, but im at my wits end. I am trying, to get kubuntu 20.04 installed onto my hp probook laptop, and I have tried unetbootin,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by BrokenDaily, Jul 17, 2020.

1. Can't Get Linux installed on HP Probook

I know this is for windows, but im at my wits end. I am trying, to get kubuntu 20.04 installed onto my hp probook laptop, and I have tried unetbootin, rufus, YUMI, Universal-USB-Installer, BalenaEtcher. NONE of them have worked. Before I went to do this I blanked my laptop drive and saw it had a windows install on it, and frankly, I already got windows on my desktop, I dont need two windows

I need your help, PLEASE. I have tried looking through its BIOS settings, and it can boot up that tails system just fine, but for the life of me it cant do kubuntu 20.04. I dont even think it will take the copy of ubuntu I have

:)

BrokenDaily, Jul 17, 2020
  2. NavyLCDR Win User

Can't Get Linux installed on HP Probook

Are the colors of the plastic inserts in the USB ports the same? All black, blue or red, or a mixture of black, blue and red?

The specs for some Probook models state 2x USB 3 Gen 1 USB ports + 1x USB 2 port (charging). That would suggest the possibility that the port labeled for charging may not be bootable.

NavyLCDR, Jul 17, 2020
  3. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there
    @BrokenDaily
    1) Use any Live Linux distro and boot it up.
    2) install GPARTED on it -- note live distros are not persistent so if you re-boot you'll have to install it again.
    3) on the laptop --I assume it's UEFI not MBR boot -- create the following partitions a) small one 700 MB formatted GPT and set the flags to msp,boot. b) 20 GB for the OS, the rest for your home partition apart from an amount equal to the RAM in the machine for SWAP.

4) download kubuntu from the site in iso format. Save to some device or do it on the Windows machine
    5) connect another USB drive which you will use as the install media for the OS,
    6) if on Windows create a bootable install media using RUFUS, if on Linux use as root or sudo the command dd if=<the iso file> of=/dev/sdx<x = nr of the device =use lsblk to see> bs=64M status=progress.

Boot and choose use custom partitioning for the install.

Personally if installing a KDE based system I'd choose FEDORA KDE SPINS -- it works properly ist time -- if you want to dedicate the whole laptop to the OS then simply choose automatic partitioning and let the OS installer do its thing -- just download fedora kde spin live distro - boot it up and then click the install to hard disk. --EASY !!!! also with the fusion repositories there's zillions of extra decent packages available.

I'm running a Fedora system with both vmware workststation and KVM/QEMU running a load of Windows VM's - VMWare and KVM/QEMU can both run concurrently.

Fedora kde 32 desktop

Can't Get Linux installed on HP Probook [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 17, 2020
  4. Can't Get Linux installed on HP Probook

I know this is for windows, but im at my wits end. I am trying, to get kubuntu 20.04 installed onto my hp probook laptop, and I have tried unetbootin, rufus, YUMI, Universal-USB-Installer, BalenaEtcher. NONE of them have worked. Before I went to do this I blanked my laptop drive and saw it had a windows install on it, and frankly, I already got windows on my desktop, I dont need two windows

I need your help, PLEASE. I have tried looking through its BIOS settings, and it can boot up that tails system just fine, but for the life of me it cant do kubuntu 20.04. I dont even think it will take the copy of ubuntu I have

BrokenDaily, Jul 17, 2020
Thema:

1. Can't Get Linux installed on HP Probook - Similar Threads - Can't Linux installed

2. Can't install Kali Linux

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't install Kali Linux: The problem is that my computer may have some restriction and I can't find how to disable it. I download Kali Linux and at the moment I want to open the folder to install it, the computer opens a window and asks me for which application from the Microsoft store I want to open...
  3. Clean install on HP Probook - Which ISO?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean install on HP Probook - Which ISO?: Hi @ all and big ups for the forum. I have a HP Probook 450 G7 notebook which definetely needs a clean install, although it is currently running latest version 20H2. I have checked with the HP cloud recovery service, the provided "recovery' media is just an bootable .ISO...
  4. Can't Get Linux installed on HP Probook

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't Get Linux installed on HP Probook: I know this is for windows, but im at my wits end. I am trying, to get kubuntu 20.04 installed onto my hp probook laptop, and I have tried unetbootin, rufus, YUMI, Universal-USB-Installer, BalenaEtcher. NONE of them have worked. Before I went to do this I blanked my laptop...
  5. No v1903 for HP ProBook?

No v1903 for HP ProBook?: My new HP ProBook G6 450 currently on v1809 OS Build 17763.832 isn't being offered v1903 via Windows update despite feature updates being enabled. I know I can use the Media Creation Tool. Has anyone updated this PC to v1903 or know why the update isn't offered via Windows...
  6. battery for HP ProBook laptop

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    battery for HP ProBook laptop: I replaced my battery 6 months ago. It will indicate 50% but will go down in a minute. Do batteries just last a few months? I have 6 email accounts on it and I do run illustrations on it for business, but it is 32 and not near full. ie I have plenty of space left. I have...
  7. Issues with HP ProBook 6475b

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Issues with HP ProBook 6475b: Before going into any specifics on the situation, here are the laptop's specifications: Model :: HP ProBook 6475b CPU :: AMD A10-5750M GPU :: AMD Radeon HD 8650G RAM :: 8GB (2x4GB) PC3-12800 DDR3-1600MHz SODIMM HDD :: 2TB, 5400RPM, SATA III...
  8. Installing update 1709 on a Hp Probook 470 G3

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Installing update 1709 on a Hp Probook 470 G3: Hello, I have a HP Probook 470 G3 (UK english). I cannot install this "damned" upgrade . Have you an idea why ? MS worked on it and the upgrade stay stucked at 28 % via the media creation tool ! Any help is welcome , HP does not answer ? Somebody on this forum...
  9. Random Restarts on HP ProBook

in Windows 10 Support
    Random Restarts on HP ProBook: Hi I have fresh installed Win 10 x64 on my HP ProBook 450, yet every now and then it freezes with only the mouse cursor movable and then restarts the laptop. I though it was the upgrade from Win 8.1 but the same thing happens after a fresh install. HP have confirmed that...
  10. Problem installing win 10 on HP Probook 4540s.

Problem installing win 10 on HP Probook 4540s.: I tried to install on my laptop. Got error message "Internal Power Error". Googled, got a work around to try to disable all drivers and restart. This was very difficult because computer locked up so quick I had to very fast to get to device manager to complete. After many...