Windows 10: Can't get local file copy back from OneDrive

Discus and support Can't get local file copy back from OneDrive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I recently decided to use OneDrive to backup some files (4.2GB). I didn't notice the "Files on Demand" setting so "save space and download files as you... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Cuchulain, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Cuchulain Win User

Can't get local file copy back from OneDrive

I recently decided to use OneDrive to backup some files (4.2GB). I didn't notice the "Files on Demand" setting so "save space and download files as you use them" was checked, and OneDrive uploaded all of my files and removed the local copies.

I want to keep local files and just use OneDrive as a backup, so I unchecked "save space and download files as you use them" and I got the message that all of my files would be downloaded, but nothing is happening despite restarts / checking / unchecking the "Files on Demand" option ... all I see is "OneDrive is up to date" and "You're all set - All files are in sync".

Does anyone know how to force OneDrive to download my files to their original locations on my SSD ?

Many thanks.

:)

Cuchulain, Apr 9, 2019

2. Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Apr 9, 2019
  3. temp02 Win User
    Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, Apr 9, 2019
  4. Wozzer Win User

Java.nio.file - Copying files

Issue was the above, so thanks temp02.

Wozzer, Apr 9, 2019
Thema:

1. Can't get local file copy back from OneDrive - Similar Threads - Can't local file

2. Copy Onedrive files to local hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copy Onedrive files to local hard drive: I was updating my windows 11 software when I ran into an error that bricked my system. I had to restore everything. I now want to copy all my files in onedrive to my PC hard drive. I like having a local copy as well as one in the cloud. Thank you...
  3. Copy Onedrive files to local hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Copy Onedrive files to local hard drive: I was updating my windows 11 software when I ran into an error that bricked my system. I had to restore everything. I now want to copy all my files in onedrive to my PC hard drive. I like having a local copy as well as one in the cloud. Thank you...
  4. Copying files from OneDrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Copying files from OneDrive: When I try and copy 100 MB of files from OneDrive to another drive, if the destination drive does not have 200 MB of space twice the size of the files to be copied, Windows will tell me there is not enough room to copy the files.After the files are copied, they only take up...
  5. Copying files from OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copying files from OneDrive: When I try and copy 100 MB of files from OneDrive to another drive, if the destination drive does not have 200 MB of space twice the size of the files to be copied, Windows will tell me there is not enough room to copy the files.After the files are copied, they only take up...
  6. Copying files from OneDrive

7. Copy only local files, don't copy from OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copy only local files, don't copy from OneDrive: I have a folder ~1 gb that I want to move to another drive.If I try to copy this folder, it wants to download ~23 gb from OneDrive first.How do I only copy the files that are only available locally?...
  8. Copy only local files, don't copy from OneDrive

Copy only local files, don't copy from OneDrive: I have a folder ~1 gb that I want to move to another drive.If I try to copy this folder, it wants to download ~23 gb from OneDrive first.How do I only copy the files that are only available locally?...
  9. copying onedrive local files only

copying onedrive local files only: Hi, I want to copy files from a Onedrive folder to another volume, but only the files that are saved locally in my computers and not the ones in the cloud. I hoped copy or xcopy would have such an option, but one I try to copy *.* to another folder it starts downloading...
  10. Can't copy files from my local Onedrive folder to external drive (re-open)...

Can't copy files from my local Onedrive folder to external drive (re-open)...: This is the same problem expressed by other users in the following thread that was closed with no response from Microsoft... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-copy-files-from-my-local-onedrive-folder-to/aada2be5-814e-4115-aec0-f24dad8a26d7 When...