Windows 10: Can't get local search results on one machine (only web results)

Discus and support Can't get local search results on one machine (only web results) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi folks. New to forum :-). Yesterday I upgraded two Dell laptops and my desktop machine to Windows 10. I am really liking it so far. But I have two... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RobG, Jul 30, 2015.

1. RobG Win User

Can't get local search results on one machine (only web results)

Hi folks. New to forum Can't get local search results on one machine (only web results) :). Yesterday I upgraded two Dell laptops and my desktop machine to Windows 10. I am really liking it so far. But I have two things I can't seem to resolve:

1. Search - On my two Dell laptops if I search for, say, User Account Control, at the top of the search results I will get a local result saying Change User Account Control settings. That result will be in grey. But on my desktop machine, if I enter the same search, I don't get any grey result at the top. All I can get on that machine is web results. I don't know what's different. I have initialized Cortana on all three machines the same way (I think). Can someone help me understand why I am not getting local results on the desktop machine?

2. One of my Dell laptops has a fingerprint reader. It was working for logins when I had Windows 7 on the machine. Now that I have Windows 10 on the machine I cannot figure out how to get the reader working again. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Rob

:)

2. Bing Image Search not showing results

I'm just not experiencing the issues you folks are indicating. I get results in each case.

Examples:

Pizza .... search returns local results, web results and pictures

Model T .... search returns local results, web results and pictures

Sheep .... search returns NO local results (which I would expect in my area) but returns web results and pictures

McDonalds .... search returns local results, web results and pictures

Jack Cook - aka Help_Line, Jul 30, 2015
  3. Bing Image Search not showing results

I can't speak for the OP, but this issue appears to have been fixed, Jack. The problem, to recap, was that not all tabs were being populated when searching specifically from the phone (the web search correctly yielded the additional results).

Now, the search seems to be filling the image tabs for all but searches that are triggering the adult filter. (There doesn't seem to be a way to modify the filter settings on WP7 so I can't fully test that).

The original problem was clearly a code error and looks to have been corrected. Hopefully the OP will be able to test on his device to confirm?

Note: I'm am on a Titan and so have had no OS updates (boo) so exactly what the fix was must have been limited to the server. I suspect some sort of browser/UI recognition string script gone awry, but there are many possibilities and what it was doesn't
    matter much provided it is truly corrected.

Circus_Alchemist, Jul 30, 2015
  4. xinlifoss Win User

set up some Win10 PCs.

disable networking. logged out and logged back in.

some of the machines now FAIL to do a local search.

any search terms type after hitting the Windows key, or typed into the search box produce NO results.

Microsoft is receiving *all* searches even if web search is disabled in search settings:
    turned networking back on
    opened cmd and netstat -aon; no connections to www ips
    type a search for "notepad" in search box
    my computer connects to a Microsoft IP address!

This is ridiculous!

xinlifoss, Jan 27, 2016
  5. xinlifoss Win User
  6. xinlifoss Win User
    more info available at the linked thread (see previous post)

xinlifoss, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't get local search results on one machine (only web results) - Similar Threads - Can't local search

2. Windows "Search" results, always prioritizes "Web Results" bug.

in Cortana
    Windows "Search" results, always prioritizes "Web Results" bug.: For quite some time now, Windows search bar started prioritizing the web results option. For example, as always when I typed "Update" on the magnifying glass on the taskbar. "Check for Updates" used to come up first, now it has the "See Web Results" option come up, that...
  3. Web search results

in Cortana
    Web search results: Hi, my name is Sumiyuru I am using a windows 10 home operating system hp I have a problem in the search box, as experienced in my other 2 computers when I search something in the web it immediately gives me web results but in my hp computer in the search box when I search...
  4. Windows Search Not Showing Web Results

in Cortana
    Windows Search Not Showing Web Results: I have been using a Windows 10 Professional from the past 4 months and from yesterday the Windows Search was not showing any Web Results. I am from India and according to this article:...
  5. Strange Local Search Results

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange Local Search Results: I have only had this laptop for three months, which came with Windows 10 home pre-installed. Using the Search box next to the Start icon at the bottom left of the screen, the search results show files (photos, videos, documents) from well before I bought this laptop. For...
  6. Not getting web results in Search or Start Menu search

in Cortana
    Not getting web results in Search or Start Menu search: Hi; on some Windows 10 installations (and indeed, even on my other user account), I get web search results when I press the Start key on my keyboard and then type into the search box. For example, "32 F in C" will yield 0° C. This isn't happening on one of my accounts. As...
  7. Web search results not included in search bar

in Cortana
    Web search results not included in search bar: To whom it may concern, I updated from Windows 10 Home 1803 to 1903 yesterday June 19th 2019. Everything seemed fine after that until I discovered that the web searches are no longer included in my searches from the search bar. It only displays local content from my docs,...
  8. Disable web results in search

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disable web results in search: What am I missing here to stop getting web results when searching for stuff on my PC? Enabling "Do not allow web search" does....nothing..... [img] [img] 120609
  9. Search Everywhere only opens files, not web results

in Windows 10 Support
    Search Everywhere only opens files, not web results: This is referring to the blue "Search Everywhere" panel that slides out from the right, not Cortana or the Start Menu search box. When I type into it, it'll list my local files on the top, then web results underneath. Clicking any listed local file will open that file, but...
  10. Search only shows Web Results

in Windows 10 Support
    Search only shows Web Results: When I search for something in the search bar, now I am only getting web results. I am not getting computer related items. For example, if I search for printers, I only get web results about printers. I am not getting anything about the printers I have installed on this...