Windows 10: Can't get monitor to display until Windows fires up

Discus and support Can't get monitor to display until Windows fires up in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; My older PC will not fire up the screen until I get to the login screen for windows. This means I do not get to see the boot options or able to enter... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by veldthui, Jun 8, 2018.

1. veldthui Win User

Can't get monitor to display until Windows fires up

My older PC will not fire up the screen until I get to the login screen for windows.
    This means I do not get to see the boot options or able to enter the BIOS. Once the screen is up I can shutdown and restart and the monitor gets fed fine and I see the boot options and able to enter the BIOS.
    I recently installed ESXI 6.7 to try out on a swapable 2.5" drive and booting from power off I get no screen at all. Booting windows results in the screen and then shutdown and restart the ESXI I see the screen completely.

My BIOS was set to PCI as first device for the graphics. I have an nVidia 800 series card in the PCIe-16 slot so I changed the BIOS to this and it made no difference. There is two other settings selections in there with PCIe-16 slot 2 and can't remember the other one. I am sure the card is in slot 1 which is closest to the CPU.

Any suggestions as to how to get this going properly so it will display from cold boot?

:)

veldthui, Jun 8, 2018

2. I disconnected the monitor and when I reconnected the monitor failed to fire up and now I can't get the laptop to detect the screen.

Original Title: Detect Display.

Win 10. I set up an external display for my yoga 3 pro laptop recently via hdmi. Has been working ok and I have been undoing and re-docking ok. However, last night I disconnected the monitor and when I reconnected the monitor failed to fire up and now I
    can't get the laptop to detect the screen. Any suggestions what the issue might be?

Thanks in anticipation

KeithFenwick, Jun 8, 2018
  3. I disconnected the monitor and when I reconnected the monitor failed to fire up and now I can't get the laptop to detect the screen.

Hi Keith,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am sorry to know that you are
    facing issues with windows 10.

• Are you getting any errors when you try to connect it?

• Did you updated all the necessary drivers to connect?

I would suggest you to update the latest display drivers from the manufacturers website and check if it helps.

Please refer to the suggestion provided by Andre Da Costa
    July 10, 2015
    in the following link on how to setup dual monitor

How to add multiple monitors to your Windows 10 PC

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Syed Abdul Jabbar, Jun 8, 2018
Thema:

Can't get monitor to display until Windows fires up

1. Can't get monitor to display until Windows fires up - Similar Threads - Can't monitor display

2. Computer not firing up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer not firing up: My computer when I turn on it stuck with grey screen with cursor. It turns grey after seeing the windows logo and spinning wheel on it. I know it is a 2years old computer but it is updated so it should not work this way. I can still use it without problem with the performance...
  3. Computer not firing up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer not firing up: My computer when I turn on it stuck with grey screen with cursor. It turns grey after seeing the windows logo and spinning wheel on it. I know it is a 2years old computer but it is updated so it should not work this way. I can still use it without problem with the performance...
  4. Computer not firing up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. computer not firing up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    computer not firing up: My computer got lag today and I force restart it and it stuck in preparing Windows. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-not-firing-up/22c6c0fb-3581-44ae-9ca7-453318e323fc
  6. computer not firing up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    computer not firing up: My computer got lag today and I force restart it and it stuck in preparing Windows. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-not-firing-up/22c6c0fb-3581-44ae-9ca7-453318e323fc
  7. computer not firing up

8. Can't display to a monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't display to a monitor: I have Windows 10 and up until COB Monday evening was using a display monitor. Tuesday morning I turned my computer on and not able to attach the monitor. When I hold down the windows symbol + P I receive the message "your PC cannot project to another screen. Try reinstalling...
  9. Can't display to a monitor

Can't display to a monitor: I have Windows 10 and up until COB Monday evening was using a display monitor. Tuesday morning I turned my computer on and not able to attach the monitor. When I hold down the windows symbol + P I receive the message "your PC cannot project to another screen. Try reinstalling...
  10. I can't get Monitors 2 and 3 to display.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I can't get Monitors 2 and 3 to display.: Under Advanced Display Settings, I get a message that says, "Display 2 isn't active". How do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-get-monitors-2-and-3-to-display/70a5ba7b-ecf6-446d-9e27-3aa34f24cc1f