Windows 10: Can’t get my new SSD to be main Boot drive

Discus and support Can’t get my new SSD to be main Boot drive in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; So after someone told me I should make my SSD the new main thing to boot from as it makes everything faster, I listened and followed tutorials. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by WelshMaestro1892, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Can’t get my new SSD to be main Boot drive

So after someone told me I should make my SSD the new main thing to boot from as it makes everything faster, I listened and followed tutorials. I created the Installation Media on a USB, installed it onto the SSD which looks like it’s registered fine in the device manager and then went to use it as the main boot priority but it literally didn’t do anything. I just got a black screen with a flashing underscore at the top left, and then after a while it took me to Windows Install, which I’d already done on that drive earlier just fine. I did manage to load in briefly after the installation and

:)

WelshMaestro1892, Jun 7, 2021
  2. DaveM121 Win User

New SSD wont boot

Hi John

Boot into BIOS, is SATA Mode set to AHCI to enable booting from an SSD drive?

Is the SSD drive set a top of the Boot Priority list?

Did you try connecting that SSD to the SATA Port normally used by your old HDD?

DaveM121, Jun 7, 2021
  3. New windows 10 installtion on New SSD - wont boot unless old SSD present

It seems you installed Windows while the both SSDs were connected. This would have caused your current problem. Maybe it is sufficient to do this:

1. Launch the Disk Manager.
    2. Right-click drive C:, then mark it as "active".
    3. Shut down Windows
    4. Open the BIOS and tell it that the new SSD is the primary boot device.
    5. Disconnect the old SSD.
    6. Boot up normally.

If this does not work then you might have to do this:

1. Disconnect the old SSD.
    2. Re-install Windows on the new SSD, using the Media Creation Tool.

Frederik Long, Jun 7, 2021
  4. Can’t get my new SSD to be main Boot drive

Can't boot from new drive

Thanks for the reply, but I'm not following you...

• What are you suggesting I unplug? Other USB devices? Done, but made no difference. (Ethernet? Monitors? Don't think that'll help.)
    • Not sure I understand your partitioning advice?
    • Also unclear about SSD drivers; if there was a driver issue, wouldn't it had failed to work at all? (As mentioned, I am able to boot Windows from the new drive as long as the old one is still plugged in...and it works just fine as a secondary drive.)

Touchdown4308, Jun 7, 2021
Thema:

Can’t get my new SSD to be main Boot drive

1. Can’t get my new SSD to be main Boot drive - Similar Threads - Can’t SSD main

2. Can’t boot through ssd.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can’t boot through ssd.: I recently installed a new internal hdd and removed my old cd drive. Now, I have both hdd and ssd but there’s a problem that i already have windows installed on my hdd but when i installed the new hdd in my pc by removing cd drive its booting through the hdd not ssd which was...
  3. Can’t boot through ssd.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can’t boot through ssd.: I recently installed a new internal hdd and removed my old cd drive. Now, I have both hdd and ssd but there’s a problem that i already have windows installed on my hdd but when i installed the new hdd in my pc by removing cd drive its booting through the hdd not ssd which was...
  4. Can’t boot through ssd.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. How do I make the new ssd installed my main drive?

How do I make the new ssd installed my main drive?: Hello,I have a Dell Laptop that came with 512 gb ssd and recently I installed a new 2 tb ssd and cloned the original drive. I have changed where storage is saved from the settings menu as well as changing boot order. However, everything keeps trying to install or save to the...
  6. .Getting new SSD drive to boot up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    .Getting new SSD drive to boot up: I am running windows 11 Home insider preview. I have a 128 gb ssd that is getting very full. I purchased a new 512 gb ssd and cloned the C: drive using AOMEI partition Magic.. I appears to have cloned the drive correctly. I have all the same files on my new ssd drive. The old...
  7. .Getting new SSD drive to boot up

.Getting new SSD drive to boot up: I am running windows 11 Home insider preview. I have a 128 gb ssd that is getting very full. I purchased a new 512 gb ssd and cloned the C: drive using AOMEI partition Magic.. I appears to have cloned the drive correctly. I have all the same files on my new ssd drive. The old...
  8. Install new SSD as main boot drive RAID1

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Install new SSD as main boot drive RAID1: I have purchased a twin set of 1TB SSD that I want to setup as my new boot drive and move all contents from existing 128Gb SSD to the new ones.My case allows for hot swapping, so I have setup the new SSD in Disk Management as G:.What are my next steps to move files to G:,...
  9. Can’t get system to boot up off SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can’t get system to boot up off SSD: I recently got a new SSD and I’ve installed windows 10 onto it but I can’t seem to get my pc to start up off of the SSD. I have a a gigabyte z370 if that’s of any use. I’ve gone into the BIOS and have tried to put the boot option 1 as the SSD but it doesn’t work. My system...
  10. How can I make my ssd the main boot drive?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How can I make my ssd the main boot drive?: Hello, so I recently Installed windows to my new Kingston ssd and I have noticed that it does not display in my bios as the main boot drive for UEFI. So whenever I have to turn off my computer or restart it I have to press f9 boot drive selector and manually select my ssd to...