Windows 10: Can't get old game to work after reinstalling Windows 10 worked fine before

Discus and support Can't get old game to work after reinstalling Windows 10 worked fine before in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; After a recent BSOD crash and unsuccessful troubleshooting, I threw in the towel and reinstalled Windows 10 Home 64 bit. I used a generic USB stick... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Don95, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Don95 Win User

Can't get old game to work after reinstalling Windows 10 worked fine before

After a recent BSOD crash and unsuccessful troubleshooting, I threw in the towel and reinstalled Windows 10 Home 64 bit. I used a generic USB stick created at the Microsoft web site rather than the recovery USB stick I had made before the crash using the Toshiba tools on my laptop, which was probably a mistake. After everything was up and running I noticed some oddities, such as the disappearance of Sleep mode as a power choice and the disabling of some, but not all, special function keys.

However, what I'm asking for help with here is a very odd problem with trying to reinstall an old game, PuzzleQuest: Challenge of the Warlords, from its original manufacturer's CD. The game worked fine before the crash. After reinstalling it, when I try to open the game I get an error message: "No desktop settings have been found with which this game can run." I tried using Compatibility Troubleshooter to try to open it in earlier Windows modes, but the same error message cropped up no matter what I did.

Another weird thing is that when I went into File Explorer to check on the installation, when I clicked on the disc drive with the CD in it I saw two sections: "Files Currently on the Disc 6", which contains the usual installation files, and "Files Ready to Be Written to the Disc 1", containing the file "Desktop.ini".

I'm at a loss to understand why a premanufactured software disc would be "expecting" a file to be written to it, and how it would be removed from it in the first place. Is it possible that such a disc could still be writable and that a file was somehow deleted from it? Should I try to write the Desktop.ini file to it and then try reinstalling the program?

Any suggestions on how to proceed will be hugely appreciated. I'm about 10 seconds from reinstalling Windows again but using the recovery USB I had made on this machine and reinstalling all my software and setting yet again.....

:)

Don95, Jul 12, 2020
  2. Kuzarux Win User

Old game doesn't work in Windows 10

I'm referring to PlayTrickster. But I've seen several people not being able to play MMO's on Windows 10.

This game is old however, so it haven't been updated since Windows 7. But I've decided to wait untill Microsoft updates Win10 to get the Compability to work (Since I've read about a lot of people not getting old games to work at all).

And the only known issue with the game and Windows 10 is that the game wont start. No one can start the game with Windows 10, and their tech guy suggest that we go back to win 7/8.1 or use a Virtual Machine to be able to play the game again since they can't
    fix it.

Kuzarux, Jul 12, 2020
  3. Metro 2033 fails to work on windows 10!

I don't recall you mentioning any trouble shooting steps attempted though. At the very least, doing a quick search and checking threads like this very well may have solved it for you. It's listed as compatible on MS' list of games that work with W10 for a reason, because many if not most are able to get it running on W10. At least some level of workaround may be required, but some got it running without doing anything.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/7670/discussions/0/541907867762253418/

Frag Maniac, Jul 12, 2020
  4. trickson Win User

Metro 2033 fails to work on windows 10!

Okay Now I am starting to get really pisd off at Microsoft. First off Bioshock2 No longer works at all in windows 7 or 10 so I got really pisd off and broke all my windows Live games! Snapped the CD into pieces! Now Metro 2033 wont work at all! My frack! Why is it they can't seem to get shit to work with there new hardware and OS? Makes no fing sense at all to me, An old game should be just fine on NEW fing hardware and Operating system! After all a NEW OS SHOULD already have the fracking issues worked OUT! so is this really it? I need new fracking games just because I got some new shit? Makes LITTLE LOGICAL SENSE!
    Any Ideas how to get my new crap to run old fracking software?

trickson, Jul 12, 2020
Thema:

1. Can't get old game to work after reinstalling Windows 10 worked fine before - Similar Threads - Can't old game

2. Old games that properly worked before are becoming very laggy after reinstalling Windows 7...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Old games that properly worked before are becoming very laggy after reinstalling Windows 7...: My 12 year old Windows 7 PC is suffering from very constant stutters and lag while playing the games already present since before. Back then, I did upgrade it to Windows 10 in 2020 but since I didn't like it, I reinstalled Windows 7 back again in the same C: where 10 was...
  3. Old games that properly worked before are becoming very laggy after reinstalling Windows 7...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old games that properly worked before are becoming very laggy after reinstalling Windows 7...: My 12 year old Windows 7 PC is suffering from very constant stutters and lag while playing the games already present since before. Back then, I did upgrade it to Windows 10 in 2020 but since I didn't like it, I reinstalled Windows 7 back again in the same C: where 10 was...
  4. Can't get rid of an old work account

Can't get rid of an old work account: I had a work Exchange account which I used on my personal laptop for OneDrive, Outlook, Teams, etc. I no longer work there and I can't access the account. But try as I might I can't get rid of all the traces of it. It took me a long time to work out how to stop the...
  5. PC sluttering after Windows 10 reinstallation, works fine after hard shutdown. If I...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC sluttering after Windows 10 reinstallation, works fine after hard shutdown. If I...: Hi. I reinstalled Windows 10 on my PC and it's sluttering now. I dont know whats causing it either. Theres no high usage in task manager. If i try to restart PC, it freezes and it stays on the restart screen. If I do hard shutdown by pressing the power on button for 5s,...
  6. Games not running properly after working fine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Games not running properly after working fine: I have 6 games installed and I'm having issues with half of them. Outer Worlds: Installed, was running fine, then I an error - top right button said install 0%, reinstalled, eventually same issue but I fixed by using the icon on the far left clicking the arrow there instead...
  7. Windows 10 Key not working after major hardware upgrade; worked fine with old pc

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Key not working after major hardware upgrade; worked fine with old pc: Hi all, I recently upgraded my PC. Prior to this upgrade my windows 10 was working flawlessly, with no activation issues. Since I upgraded Windows the product key tied to my account has stopped working. I am signed in with my microsoft account that has the product key, and...
  8. Game controller not working it was working before.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Game controller not working it was working before.: Hi, Iam using bluetooth Gamecontroller it was working fine before suddenly it is not working it is paired and connected too. also it showing 2 GamePad even though only one device is connected. In property it shows like this Calibrate is Disabled and Test tab is not...
  9. Old game not working on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old game not working on Windows 10: I want to play Warhammer Mark of Chaos on my Windows 10 laptop. Because my laptop doesn't have a disk entrance I bought a LG portable DVD writer to install and play the game. After installing the game succesfully nothing happens. I already tried the compatibility mode thing...
  10. Google Desktop won't work after computer reset. Working fine before.

Google Desktop won't work after computer reset. Working fine before.: After a number of things not working as wanted and my XPS 8700 running slower and slower I went for the 'reset' option in Windows 10 Home. (I had forgotten how much work it is to reinstall all the programs I like to use.) Everything works fine except for Google Desktop. It...