Windows 10: can't get PC to boot from newly installed SSD

Discus and support can't get PC to boot from newly installed SSD in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Installed SSD and copied boot HDD image with ' true. image ' which seemed to work perfectly... Tried to boot from SSD by pressing F12 during boot up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by reddwarf4ever, Apr 13, 2016.

1. can't get PC to boot from newly installed SSD

Installed SSD and copied boot HDD image with ' true. image ' which seemed to work perfectly...
    Tried to boot from SSD by pressing F12 during boot up but got this message

can't get PC to boot from newly installed SSD [​IMG]

tried going into the bios to choose the SSD but wasn't an option that I could see, when I boot with the original HDD it is now labelled 'G' and the SSD as 'C' if that matters ???
    Installed an SSD on my laptop, but with only one ' drive' I guess it was easier..

thanks

:)

reddwarf4ever, Apr 13, 2016
  2. organDan Win User

stuck after adding SSD to my new Lenovo desktop

I planned to migrate Windows 10 from my new Lenovo desktop's C: drive with a 1T HDD to a newly-installed SSD. Cloning the OS (and a few other C: files) to the new SSD with EaseUS Todo seemed to go successfully, but I don't know how to complete the process
    - here's why....

The Lenovo boots successfully when ONLY the HDD drive is disconnected, and the C: drive is the SSD. All installed programs run normally.

But when I restart with both drives connected, I have a Windows A: drive (SSD) and Windows C: drive, and don't know which I'm booting from. I can't use Disk Manager (or EaseUS Todo) to wipe / reformat the HDD, because it has a boot partition, and neither
    software will let me.

I don't care what letter drive the SSD is, as long as I can boot from it, and use the HDD however I want, but I can't get there. What do I do now? This can't be a very hard problem to solve, but I am very eager to hear suggestions on how to proceed. Thanks

--Dan

organDan, Apr 13, 2016
  3. Johnerx Win User
    Windows 10 Change partition

So, when I couldn't acces to my PC anymore , I installed Windows on the HDD to have any Kind of Access to Windows.

But know he is booting the HDD with the new installed Windows Version. I want that my pc boots up the SSD though.

Because all my apps etc. got messed up because it's booting the HDD i think.

Like you can see on the right Picture "Local drive (Ccan't get PC to boot from newly installed SSD :) is the HDD which was on the D: drive" and which is getting booted.

Windows(Dcan't get PC to boot from newly installed SSD :) was on the C: drive and I want that it boots Windows from the SSD not HDD because I have all my Documents etc on it.

so ( Boot the SSD where the old Windows Version is installed -> check if it's not damaged , if I can't Access to it, boot the HDD where the new Windows Version is installed, take it from there put it to the SSD, delete it from the HDD and boot the SSD with
    the copied Windows Version from the HDD)

I hope this is kinda understandable ,...

Johnerx, Apr 13, 2016
  4. can't get PC to boot from newly installed SSD

Just tried Easy BCD choose the option to choose boot drive and selected SSD, then went to bios, the options were the same....but found another list of boot choices 1-6 and selected SSD then it appeared in the other boot menu.....now working fine...what about other boot options legacy etc do these need changing

reddwarf4ever, Apr 14, 2016
  5. Also found on many places in forums the advice not to fill an SSD greater than 75% or it's efficiency falls sharply....I emailed sandisk and they said it's not true..
    Thank you for coming back.

We would like to inform you that the speed of the SSD will not fall with capacity used also over 75%.

It will perform the same. The important thing to do is to activate AHCI in BIOS before installing the O/S.

Also you need to use Windows 7 or higher to have TRIM natively activated which will maintain the performance.
    unquote

intersting !!

reddwarf4ever, Apr 14, 2016
  6. CountMike New Member
    SSD may not fail prematurely but Windows need 10 - 20 GB of free space to work properly even with a HDD. Some SSDs have spare, invisible (to Windows) partition for it's use for GC and load leveling while others may need a small part of disk space for that.

CountMike, Apr 15, 2016
  7. Is it possible to find out if my sandisk SSD. has this ' spare' capacity

thanks

reddwarf4ever, Apr 15, 2016
  8. CountMike New Member

can't get PC to boot from newly installed SSD

CountMike, Apr 15, 2016
  9. Tried HW info for my laptop to see what sata speed it is and got
    Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 3Gb/s now not sure what it is !!!!

reddwarf4ever, Apr 15, 2016
  10. CountMike New Member
    Written like that it looks like Laptop has SATA2 (3GB/s) controller with SATA3 (5GB/s) drive connected to it. Look at laptop manual to see which one is supposed to be because controller might be missing proper drivers.

CountMike, Apr 15, 2016
  11. That makes sense, will check drivers, but I suspect you are correct

thank you

reddwarf4ever, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

can't get PC to boot from newly installed SSD

1. can't get PC to boot from newly installed SSD - Similar Threads - can't boot newly

2. Pc can't boot from newly cloned SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Pc can't boot from newly cloned SSD: I cloned my OS and data from an old ssd to a new one using minitool partition wizard. Once done, I shut down my computer and made sure the only drive connected was the clone SSD. I turned on my pc and it doesn't get past the no logo loading dots, it just keeps doing...
  3. Pc can't boot from newly cloned SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pc can't boot from newly cloned SSD: I cloned my OS and data from an old ssd to a new one using minitool partition wizard. Once done, I shut down my computer and made sure the only drive connected was the clone SSD. I turned on my pc and it doesn't get past the no logo loading dots, it just keeps doing...
  4. Pc can't boot from newly cloned SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't get SSD to boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't get SSD to boot: I have a new UEFI computer with Win10pro on a 64GB eMMC. I added a 64GB SSD for my user files. That caused problems and the eMMC is pretty slow so I decided to replace the SSD with a 500GB SSD and boot off that. I copied the partitions across and merged the windows and user...
  6. Can't get SSD to boot

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't get SSD to boot: I have a new UEFI computer with Win10pro on a 64GB eMMC. I added a 64GB SSD for my user files. That caused problems and the eMMC is pretty slow so I decided to replace the SSD with a 500GB SSD and boot off that. I copied the partitions across and merged the windows and user...
  7. Can't get SSD to boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Can't get windows to boot from new ssd

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't get windows to boot from new ssd: I've transferred everything to my new ssd using macrium reflect, however when I changed the primary boot drive to my new ssd it my pc will not boot and asks me to go back into bios and select a boot device, any help would be appreciated thanks. (sorry if this isn't the right...
  9. Can't boot from newly cloned SSD drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Can't boot from newly cloned SSD drive: Hello, I'm attempting to upgrade my Windows 10 Home 64 bit PC from an HDD to an SSD, both 1TB in size. My goal is to have my SSD as my main boot drive and my HDD as a storage drive for my exceptionally large media files. I've already cloned my original hard drive using...
  10. How to boot from newly installed SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to boot from newly installed SSD: [img] Hi, Novice question: I just installed a new SSD (disk 1) on my laptop and used Samsung's tool to clone my OS drive (C: on disk 2) onto it. This was done with no error, however I cannot boot from the new SSD in bios, as this hangs up the computer. I assume this...