Windows 10: can't get permission on mapped network drive/folder

Discus and support can't get permission on mapped network drive/folder in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, here's my situation: Windows 10 Ver. 1903 I have an external HDD attached via USB 3.0 to my router. I have it mapped as a network drive and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by j.q.public, May 31, 2020.

1. can't get permission on mapped network drive/folder

Hello, here's my situation:

Windows 10 Ver. 1903

I have an external HDD attached via USB 3.0 to my router. I have it mapped as a network drive and was initially able to read and write normally.

I then removed it from the router and hooked it directly to the PC via USB 3.0 to do some heavy data transfer. When I reattached it I had no permission to write any more, and I can't grant myself permission.

Whenever I make an adjustment on the Security tab and click Apply, the adjustment is removed. E.g. I click on Edit..., give "Everyone" Full control and then click Apply. Instead of modifying permissions as normal, all the check marks disappear.

can't get permission on mapped network drive/folder 8baffa4b-023b-41f6-932e-91a960c29d47?upload=true.jpg

When I take the drive off of the router and hook it right up to the PC again, I have permission again, but as soon as it's back on the network it goes back to the no permission situation.

Can someone clue me into what I may be missing? Thanks!

:)

j.q.public, May 31, 2020

2. Permission issue, shared drive Windows 10.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We can understand your concern. However, we would need some more information regarding the issue.

1. May I know the exact error message?
    2. Have you shared all hard drives or any particular folder within the particular hard drive?

Since you have mentioned that you are getting error related to permission issue, please refer to the troubleshooting steps provided by “Azee N” dated June 2nd 2010 on
    Providing permission to drive and try
    providing permission to the drive.

If the issue still persists, we would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below to re-map the drive.

1. Disconnect the drive by right click on the drive and select disconnect (if the drive is mapped).
    2. Then re-map the drive by referring to Map a network drive
      and check if it resolves the issue.

Regards,

Manjunath_H, May 31, 2020
  3. Try3 Win User
    The mapped name of a folder is stuck

I have never had to do anything else to remove an old network drive mapping. [The mapped drives I have are all listed even though they are not currently connected].

If I understand the situation correctly -
    • You have mapped \\TOWER\0 SYNCHRONIZ and that is confirmed by HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Network
    • But File explorer insists that you have mapped to a [removable?] drive you have called 0 SYN that is connected to the network computer called T instead
    1 Does HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Network contain an entry for 0 SYN or \\T at all?
    2 Does HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Portable Devices\Devices contain 0 SYN as a 'FriendlyName' entry?
    3 Can 0 SYN be found in your Registry elsewhere [such as HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Shares]?

Denis

4. can't get permission on mapped network drive/folder

Permission issue on working with network drive, Error message: An error occurred while applying security information – failed to enumerate objects in the container, Access is denied.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We can imagine how difficult it could be and we truly appreciate for the details and, time and effort that you have taken to work on this issue. However, we would need some more information regarding the issue.

1. Was there any major change on your system prior to which you weren’t facing this issue?
    2. Could you please let us know, what are the troubleshooting steps that you have performed till now?

In the meantime, we would suggest you to try follow steps mentioned below and check if it resolves the issue.

1. Disconnect the drive by right click on the drive and select disconnect (if the drive is mapped).
    2. Then re-map the drive by referring to
      Map a network drive
    3. Please follow the suggestion provided by Azeez N dated June 2nd 2010 on

Providing permission to drive
    4. Then check if it helps.

You may also want refer
    Configuring shares and permissions on hard drives connected to the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Router
    for more detailed information on the issue.

Regards,

Manjunath_H, May 31, 2020
Thema:

can't get permission on mapped network drive/folder

1. can't get permission on mapped network drive/folder - Similar Threads - can't permission mapped

2. Can't connect to mapped network drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't connect to mapped network drive: Can't log into drive on another compter because it changed the user email to a different email with a name to an unkown PC that kind of has the correct name but the username on the other computer does not exist with all the junk in the email. When I remote into the other...
  3. Can't connect to mapped network drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't connect to mapped network drive: Can't log into drive on another compter because it changed the user email to a different email with a name to an unkown PC that kind of has the correct name but the username on the other computer does not exist with all the junk in the email. When I remote into the other...
  4. Can't connect to mapped network drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Network Share folder vs Mapping drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network Share folder vs Mapping drives: Difference between network shared and mapping a drive ? An explanation would be much appreciated https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-share-folder-vs-mapping-drives/bf3c629b-63e9-4a45-bff6-db7e656fd84e
  6. Network Share folder vs Mapping drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network Share folder vs Mapping drives: Difference between network shared and mapping a drive ? An explanation would be much appreciated https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-share-folder-vs-mapping-drives/bf3c629b-63e9-4a45-bff6-db7e656fd84e
  7. Network Share folder vs Mapping drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Can't map a network drive

Can't map a network drive: I'm having issues mapping a network drive on a computer only with a certain user. If I log on as another user it works fine. Both profiles have admin privileges. I've never seen this happen before...
  9. Can't Map a Network Drive

Can't Map a Network Drive: I have followed instructions on setting up a network drive but I am not able to select a folder. I have network and file sharing turned on. Windows version 1909 (OS Build 18363.900) [img] 159363
  10. Map network drive results "the network folder is already mapped using....

Map network drive results "the network folder is already mapped using....: Map network drive results: the network folder is already mapped using..... Windows 10, no domain controller, all machines in "WORKGROUP" I can see the share from other PCs but not the new Win10 pc....