Windows 10: Can't get SD card out of "read only" but only on my main laptop.

Discus and support Can't get SD card out of "read only" but only on my main laptop. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I went to save something to my SD card today and it said it was write protected. I tried fiddling with the switch on the side and it said the same in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Ultimarasengan18, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Can't get SD card out of "read only" but only on my main laptop.

I went to save something to my SD card today and it said it was write protected. I tried fiddling with the switch on the side and it said the same in both positions. It was the same with another SD card I used. I tried a USB drive and that had no issues with adding/deleting, so it has to be just related to the SD slot.

I tried it out on my other computer and no issues. I could add and delete things no problem.

Since it happened with multiple SD card's It's definitely an issue with my main laptop rather than the card itself, but I haven't changed any computer options since the last time I used it. I even tried using a restore point from a few weeks ago and it still came up with the same issue.

I have a Dell Inspiron 5565 if that helps.

I tried two suggestions off the internet but neither helped. One was to add an option to the registry to turn copy protection off, which did nothing. The other was going into command prompt and selecting the specific disk to disable the copy protection on it. But since it's doing it with all my cards rather than a specific one it didn't work.

:)

Ultimarasengan18, Sep 5, 2019
  2. Joe Men Win User

Phone is not reading the SD card.

Hello,
    Jeevan

Thank you for posting your query to Microsoft Community. We understand that you Lumia 640 XL LTE is having issues reading your SD memory card.

There is a possibility that the SD memory card corrupted. Please try to perform a Scan Disk maintenance on it by following the steps below:

• Turn off your phone and remove the SD card. Use a SD card reader and plug it in to your computer.
    • Open Computer by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Computer.
    • Right-click the SD card drive that you want to check, and then click "Properties".
    • Click the "Tools" tab, and then, under Error-checking, click Check Now.
    • Put a check mark on the "Automatically fix the file system errors" and "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors".
    • Click Start.
      • Wait for the Scan Disk process to complete, then mount your SD memory card back to your phone.
    Hope this helps.

Feel free to post back if you need further assistance.

Joe Men, Sep 5, 2019
  3. Cant read the SD card

Hello,

Oftentimes, a corrupted device can result to issues in reading your SD card. For us to isolate the case further and determine the appropriate resolution, provide answers to the following questions:

• Have you checked if other external devices/accessories are properly detected on your device?
    • Can you confirm if the SD card is being detected on another device aside from the one that you're using?
    • What procedures have you taken so far?

As an initial troubleshooting, we suggest that you run the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter by following these steps:

• Press Windows key + W and type Troubleshooting.
    • Choose Troubleshooting.
    • Click on View All option on the left pane.
    • Click on Hardware and Devices and follow the prompt to run the troubleshooter.

This tool checks the hardware connected to your computer for common issues and gives details on how to rectify them. If there are any suggestions given by the troubleshooter, you may try those and check if it helps.

We will wait for your response so we can help you further with this issue.

Dhavelyn Mer, Sep 5, 2019
  4. BrianJ. Win User

Can't get SD card out of "read only" but only on my main laptop.

Reading SD card

I have followed all the previous suggestions and my laptop still won't read my sd card, this is very frustrating as I have my son's senior pictures that I need to upload to my computer. Any help would be appreciated.

BrianJ., Sep 5, 2019
Thema:

Can't get SD card out of "read only" but only on my main laptop.

1. Can't get SD card out of "read only" but only on my main laptop. - Similar Threads - Can't card read

2. SD Card Read Only? Can't Write to it? In Properties, there's No Security Tab to Change the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SD Card Read Only? Can't Write to it? In Properties, there's No Security Tab to Change the...: WINDOWS 7 AND WINDOWS 10YOU CAN THANK ME LATER ! - The Solution is hidden within gpedit.msc After sifting through all the frankly useless 'help' out there e.g. unlock the write protect tab etc, change the registry keys etc..., it's simply a restrictive setting within Windows...
  3. SD Card Read Only? Can't Write to it? In Properties, there's No Security Tab to Change the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SD Card Read Only? Can't Write to it? In Properties, there's No Security Tab to Change the...: WINDOWS 7 AND WINDOWS 10YOU CAN THANK ME LATER ! - The Solution is hidden within gpedit.msc After sifting through all the frankly useless 'help' out there e.g. unlock the write protect tab etc, change the registry keys etc..., it's simply a restrictive setting within Windows...
  4. SD card not reading

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SD card not reading: hi my sd card was importing pictures and videos perfectly until it seems i did an update on windows 10.i have a lenovo laptop.for the last 2 days when i put the sd card in nothing happens,the sd card is from a wildlife trail cam.Please help...
  5. SD/TF reader can only read normal SD cards and not micro ones.

SD/TF reader can only read normal SD cards and not micro ones.: My PC has a built in card reader that can read both micro SD cards and normal SD cards. Normal SD cards work perfectly. When I insert a micro SD card, it makes the 'device connected' sound, but shows up in Windows explorer as a USB drive with no disk inserted. Whether I have...
  6. Read-Only SD Card

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Read-Only SD Card: I have been all over Google and Reddit and can't get an answer to this that actually works. I find the exact same solutions over and over again and none of them work. I would love it if someone could give me some new alternatives or point me to a resource that can guide me...
  7. SD card slot Read-only

SD card slot Read-only: Hi, my Windows 10 Acer Aspire 5336-2525 laptop only reads cards when I insert them into the MC slot. Is this laptops's hardware only supportive of reading from it, or can I get a driver to fix it? Note: the different SD cards that I tried were unlockedslider on the side, and...
  8. Read only files on sd card

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Read only files on sd card: When I try to format a sd card it says windows cant. check to see if its read only and then check help on how to change that. How? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/read-only-files-on-sd-card/084f3226-4b0a-4ee7-b69d-fa5166f0b225
  9. SD Card showing up as read only

SD Card showing up as read only: Yes, the slider is in the unlocked state on the SD card, but it still shows up as read only. If I try copying files onto it, it throws an error saying "The disk is write protected". OS Build 19041.153. This error has been occuring ever since I upgraded to version 1903. I was...
  10. sd card read only after upgrading to windows 10

sd card read only after upgrading to windows 10: Hi, I have a micro sd card which does not have the lock function. I am unable to delete or reformat because all the files have changed to read only. I have tried many things to change the setting - cmd commands, Easeus, and whatever else I found online but to no avail. I...