Windows 10: Can’t get system to boot up off SSD

Discus and support Can’t get system to boot up off SSD in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I recently got a new SSD and I’ve installed windows 10 onto it but I can’t seem to get my pc to start up off of the SSD. I have a a gigabyte z370 if... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/VeggieHater9, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Can’t get system to boot up off SSD

I recently got a new SSD and I’ve installed windows 10 onto it but I can’t seem to get my pc to start up off of the SSD. I have a a gigabyte z370 if that’s of any use. I’ve gone into the BIOS and have tried to put the boot option 1 as the SSD but it doesn’t work. My system isn’t running any faster than before and in the bios there shows “windows boot manager” with what looks like my HDD next to it. I’ve tried to take out my HDDs and only start it up with windows and it just takes me straight to a black screen that says “select correct boot disk”. I also tried putting the SSD as number 1 option and disabling an option 2 but it doesn’t start up unless the windows manager is on top and is at options 1.

Error message when SSD is #1

BIOS settings and windows boot manager with HDD next to it

submitted by /u/VeggieHater9
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/VeggieHater9, Oct 5, 2020

2. Unable to boot Windows after cloning it to SSD

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues while booting the PC after cloning Windows to new SSD. I would like to know what happens when you try to boot the PC to desktop using SSD?

The reason you are not able to boot the PC is that the files required to boot Windows are still recognizing the HDD as the main drive. I would suggest you to try rebuilding the BCD files and see if you are able to boot the PC using
    SSD.

Kindly follow the steps below to rebuild the BCD.

1. Create a bootable media and boot the PC using the media.
    2. On the Install Windows screen, select Next >
      Repair your computer.
    3. On the System Recovery Options screen, select
      Troubleshoot
      > Advanced options > Command Prompt.
    4. Now type in the commands and hit enter: BOOTREC /FIXMBR

BOOTREC /FIXBOOT

BOOTREC /scanos

BOOTREC /rebuildbcd
    5. Restart the PC.

If the issue persists, please get back to us with the results of the troubleshooting steps to assist you further.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Oct 5, 2020
  3. jmcslob Win User
    2 x SSD Raid 0 - is this right?

Hey Fits

Can you list a few helpful hints for T ski ,maybe a step by step how to OR what to look out for*Cool Can’t get system to boot up off SSD :cool:

jmcslob, Oct 5, 2020
  4. jmcslob Win User

Can’t get system to boot up off SSD

2 x SSD Raid 0 - is this right?

T ski b4 your done with this post can you list a step by step fix of what you did, I would appreciate it if you would...Thanks

jmcslob, Oct 5, 2020
Thema:

Can’t get system to boot up off SSD

1. Can’t get system to boot up off SSD - Similar Threads - Can’t system boot

2. Can’t boot through ssd.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can’t boot through ssd.: I recently installed a new internal hdd and removed my old cd drive. Now, I have both hdd and ssd but there’s a problem that i already have windows installed on my hdd but when i installed the new hdd in my pc by removing cd drive its booting through the hdd not ssd which was...
  3. Can’t boot through ssd.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can’t boot through ssd.: I recently installed a new internal hdd and removed my old cd drive. Now, I have both hdd and ssd but there’s a problem that i already have windows installed on my hdd but when i installed the new hdd in my pc by removing cd drive its booting through the hdd not ssd which was...
  4. Can’t boot through ssd.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. system booting with new ssd but ssd not showing up in bios as a drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    system booting with new ssd but ssd not showing up in bios as a drive.: Hi, Iam using Dell latitude 5400 i7 8th gen laptop. I got it with 256 GB m.2 sata ssd which was slower. so I upgraded to m.2 nvme ssd from Western Digital WD SN570 1TB SSD. I backed up my data from previous ssd and removed the old ssd and installed new ssd into the system....
  6. system booting with new ssd but ssd not showing up in bios as a drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    system booting with new ssd but ssd not showing up in bios as a drive.: Hi, Iam using Dell latitude 5400 i7 8th gen laptop. I got it with 256 GB m.2 sata ssd which was slower. so I upgraded to m.2 nvme ssd from Western Digital WD SN570 1TB SSD. I backed up my data from previous ssd and removed the old ssd and installed new ssd into the system....
  7. .Getting new SSD drive to boot up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    .Getting new SSD drive to boot up: I am running windows 11 Home insider preview. I have a 128 gb ssd that is getting very full. I purchased a new 512 gb ssd and cloned the C: drive using AOMEI partition Magic.. I appears to have cloned the drive correctly. I have all the same files on my new ssd drive. The old...
  8. .Getting new SSD drive to boot up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    .Getting new SSD drive to boot up: I am running windows 11 Home insider preview. I have a 128 gb ssd that is getting very full. I purchased a new 512 gb ssd and cloned the C: drive using AOMEI partition Magic.. I appears to have cloned the drive correctly. I have all the same files on my new ssd drive. The old...
  9. Can’t get my new SSD to be main Boot drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can’t get my new SSD to be main Boot drive: So after someone told me I should make my SSD the new main thing to boot from as it makes everything faster, I listened and followed tutorials. I created the Installation Media on a USB, installed it onto the SSD which looks like it’s registered fine in the device manager and...
  10. Booting up off of an SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Booting up off of an SSD: I got a new SSD and installed windows onto it. I haven’t been able to set it to the boot drive and not my system off the SSD so my system still currently boots up off of a hard drive. I’ve gone into the BIOS and changed the SSD to the boot option 1, but whenever I set it as...