Windows 10: Can't get two ethernet networked computers to communicate

Discus and support Can't get two ethernet networked computers to communicate in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm trying to set up a home network consisting of a desktop and a laptop, both connected to a wifi router via ethernet cables. I have the router's wifi... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by coffent, Mar 15, 2020.

1. coffent Win User

Can't get two ethernet networked computers to communicate

I'm trying to set up a home network consisting of a desktop and a laptop, both connected to a wifi router via ethernet cables. I have the router's wifi shut OFF.

The desktop shows the laptop under Network, but when I try to access it I get a message
    "Windows cannot access \\Laptop. You do not have permission to access \\Laptop. Contact your network administrator to request access." (I am the "network administrator"). I have set drives and folders on the laptop to be Shared by Everyone.

The laptop shows the desktop under Network, but when I try to access it I get a message "Enter network credentials. Enter your credentials to connect to Desktop." and asks for a password. I didn't think I needed a password to connect, but in any case I don't know what it is. (I've tried the password to the router, but that didn't work.)

How can I proceed with both problems?

Windows v. 1909

:)

coffent, Mar 15, 2020

2. Network Communication problem with multiple computers

Hi Jay,

Thank you for responding.

I suggest you to try the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Method 1: Network discovery might be blocking you from seeing other computers and devices on the network. Check if the Network discovery is turned on. If the network discovery setting on your computer is set to off, you
    won't see other computers and devices on the network.

Steps to Turn on network discovery.

• Press Windows key, type sharing and click on
      Manage advanced sharing settings.
    • Under Private, Network discovery, check mark the option
      Turn on network discovery.
    • Try the same on all the computers connected to the network.

Method 2: If the issue still persists, run
    HomeGroup troubleshooter and check.

HomeGroup troubleshooter finds and fix problems with viewing computers or shared folders in a HomeGroup.

• Press Windows key, type troubleshooting
      and select it.
    • Click on View all in the left pane and click on
      HomeGroup
    • Follow the on-screen instructions.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Mar 15, 2020
  3. MJW77CA Win User
    Ethernet Light Orange/ "Local Area Network" Not in Network List

Last night I noticed my ethernet light on the back of my computer was orange. I did some research to find the reason. Some websites said it was an increased connection speed. Others said a problem with the connection.
    The local area network is no longer in the list of network connections and the other computer in my house has a green light on the ethernet port.
    I've used all the cmd.exe ipconfig steps suggested by websites. Flush dns, reset dns, etc. I've also used the network troubleshooter in windows10 which told me a problem was not found.
    Nothing seems to change the light back to green. Can someone help me find the problem so I can fix it?

MJW77CA, Mar 15, 2020
  4. rez001 Win User

IP configuration not valid - interference from ethernet adapter?

Solution 1: No Internet Access In Windows 8.1or Windows 10

Step 1:

Go to Device Manager → Network adapters.
    Step 2:

Expand it (Network adapters).

Step 3:

Select your network adapter

Step 4:

Right click on your wireless network adapter or Ethernet adapter and then tap “Update Driver Software”.
    (in this case your network adopter is Ethernet adopter so tap your Ethernet adapter)
    Step 5:

Now on a new window you will need to click on “Browse my computer for driver software”.

Can't get two ethernet networked computers to communicate install-driver-software.png

Step 6:

Then select “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer”.

Can't get two ethernet networked computers to communicate pick-comptible-driver-software.png

Step 7:

Now choose the “Manufacturer’s drivers” from the list of two and then click next.

Can't get two ethernet networked computers to communicate select-network-adapter.png

Step 8:

After the completion of the process just restart your PC and check if the problem is solved or not. If not, goto solution 2.

Can't get two ethernet networked computers to communicate Limited-wi-fi-connection-solved.png

Solution 2: No Internet Access In Windows 8.1,windows10

Step 1:

Open command prompt.
    Step 2:

Just go on hitting the enter after typing the each command.
    netsh int tcp set heuristics disabled
    netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disable
    netsh int tcp set global rss=enabled
    Step 3:

Now to check if the settings are disabled type:
    netsh int tcp show global
    then hit enter.
    Step 4:

Now the thing left is just rebooting your system and just check if the problem is solved or not and just give feedback.*chuckle*Thumbs

rez001, Mar 15, 2020
Thema:

1. Can't get two ethernet networked computers to communicate - Similar Threads - Can't ethernet networked

2. Can't communicate bidirectionally over the network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't communicate bidirectionally over the network: I hope one of you geniuses can figure out the problem that I have been struggling with. I have searched high and low on the internet for a solution but have yet to find one that works.I have computer A which is a desktop running Windows 11 Home version 22H2 and computer B...
  3. Can't communicate bidirectionally over the network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't communicate bidirectionally over the network: I hope one of you geniuses can figure out the problem that I have been struggling with. I have searched high and low on the internet for a solution but have yet to find one that works.I have computer A which is a desktop running Windows 11 Home version 22H2 and computer B...
  4. Can't connect two computers on same network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't connect two computers on same network: Hello.Ever since Microsoft in its ever infinite wisdom, because they think they know what we want got rid of the HOME NETWORK or whatever it was called, and was extremely easy to use, I haven't been able to connect my two computers on the same network. I've tried all the...
  5. Can't connect two computers on same network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't connect two computers on same network: Hello.Ever since Microsoft in its ever infinite wisdom, because they think they know what we want got rid of the HOME NETWORK or whatever it was called, and was extremely easy to use, I haven't been able to connect my two computers on the same network. I've tried all the...
  6. Network two computers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network two computers: How do I share files between two Windows 10 computers? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-two-computers/06745509-10ba-4ffd-9d36-4092d2e421d9
  7. Connecting two computers using an Ethernet cable and getting "unidentified network" on both...

Connecting two computers using an Ethernet cable and getting "unidentified network" on both...: So I'm trying to set up a server pc in my roomwhich is far away from the router. One of the pcs in my room has a wireless adapter and the other doesn't, so I try to share the network over an ethernet cable. The pcs are detecting each other, but giving "unidentified network"...
  8. Network -- two computers connected via ethernet

Network -- two computers connected via ethernet: One office, HP, other office Dell. These two computers are connected via ethernet. As of this latest upgrade, the HP can access the Dell, but I (Dell) cannot access the HP. Under "Microsoft account, Your devices" both computers are shown. Drivers are updated. I have changed...
  9. Connect two computers with ethernet cable

Connect two computers with ethernet cable: I am trying to transfer files between two Windows 10 laptops using an ethernet cable to network them. I have a new crossover ethernet cable, which I attached to both computers. Both now show Ethernet Network 2, but they are not talking to each other. I followed the...
  10. Ethernet communication between two computers

Ethernet communication between two computers: Hello, I am having trouble completing the circuit for two way ethernet communication. I have a laptop running windows 10 home connected via ethernet to a desktop running windows 10 pro. I am able to access files on my desktop through my laptop via ethernet. However, I am...