Windows 10: Can't get W10 to disable DWM in full-screen mode for older DX7 games

Discus and support Can't get W10 to disable DWM in full-screen mode for older DX7 games in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; If it's a DX9 app or newer, it disables DWM no problem. But if I play an older game that uses DX7, W10 doesn't doesn't DWM even if I alt-enter the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/moal09, Jun 28, 2020.

1. /u/moal09 Win User

Can't get W10 to disable DWM in full-screen mode for older DX7 games

If it's a DX9 app or newer, it disables DWM no problem.

But if I play an older game that uses DX7, W10 doesn't doesn't DWM even if I alt-enter the game. I can tell because my on-screen volume indicators still show up, whereas they normally wouldn't in true full-screen.

submitted by /u/moal09
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/moal09, Jun 28, 2020

2. full screen problem in gaming

Hello Ganesh,

It's unfortunate that you are facing issues with the display in Windows 10. We'll certainly assist you with this.

We appreciate your efforts in trying to resolve the issue.

Share this information to assist you better.

• What is the make and model of the computer?
    • Is the issue particular to that game or other games also?
    This issue could occur if the your playing a game at a different resolution than the desktop resolution.

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps:

Step 1: I suggest you to check the resolution of the game as well as the resolution with in the computer and see if you are able to play the games in full screen.

Step 2: I suggest you to follow the below link to troubleshoot the issues related to DirectX graphics and gaming on Windows 10.

DirectX Graphics and Gaming

Also,

Troubleshoot games

You can install Windows 8/8.1 drivers in compatibility mode from Manufacturer's website, if there are no Windows 10 compatible drivers.

Follow the steps to install in Compatibility mode:

• Download the updated driver from the manufacturer’s website.
    • Right click the driver installation file and select Properties then tap or click the
      Compatibility tab.
    • Place a check in the Run this program in compatibility mode for: box.
    • Tap the drop down box and select a previous operating system, then tap or click
      OK.
    • Try installing the driver and check.
    Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue, we will be happy to help you further.

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, Jun 28, 2020
  3. Get better Game Performance under Vista by disabling DWM on a per-application basis!

I just came across this tip/tweak, which probably many who are familiar with Vista already know... It's about disabling the aero effect on a per-application basis, so that you get vista basic interface during gameplay (when you're not going to see it) and it switches back to aero when you exit the game.

DWM, or the Desktop Window Manager, turns the graphics card into a shared resource which allows for the Aeroglass effects and the tear-free desktop. When running normal applications, this is a good thing because it offloads the graphics work (the bulk of which was handled by the CPU in Windows XP) to the GPU, which, when running normal applications is sitting in your computer doing nothing. With Aeroglass/DWM on, the CPU is freed up for other duties as all of the desktop graphics are now handled by the GPU.

In DirectX 9 and OpenGL games however, having Aeroglass/DWM on can decrease performance. This is for a number of reasons :
    1.DWM makes the video card a shared resource. When DWM is on, programs are not allowed direct access to the video card.
    2.DWM uses both System RAM and VRAM because it maintains an offscreen buffer for every window.

Fortunately, Microsoft has provided a way to disable DWM on a per-application basis so you can still enjoy Aeroglass when not running games. To disable DWM on a per-application basis, right click on the application/game's icon and select properties. Navigate to the compatibility tab, then find and check Disable Desktop Compositing. Now, whenever you launch that program, Windows Vista will temporarily switch back to the Windows XP style graphics subsystem.

DirectX 10 games shouldn't be affected as much (if at all) by having DWM on because the DirectX 10 API is designed around having the GPU as a shared resource and is better able to handle GPU multitasking.

With a few simple steps, on most setups, you can easily make your games run as fast or faster than in Windows XP under Windows Vista.

This will work on both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows Vista.

Black Panther, Jun 28, 2020
  4. Can't get W10 to disable DWM in full-screen mode for older DX7 games

Problem with Windows 10 taskbar and Full Screen games

Hello Richard,

Thank you for responding in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps:

Step 1: I suggest you to check the resolution of the game as well as the resolution with in the computer and see if you are able to play the games in full screen.

Step 2: I suggest you to follow the below link to troubleshoot the issues related to DirectX graphics and gaming on Windows 10.

DirectX Graphics and Gaming

Also,

Troubleshoot games

You can install Windows 8/8.1 drivers in compatibility mode from Manufacturer's website, if there are no Windows 10 compatible drivers.

Follow the steps to install in Compatibility mode:

• Download the updated driver from the manufacturer’s website.
    • Right click the driver installation file and select Properties then tap or click the
      Compatibility tab.
    • Place a check in the Run this program in compatibility mode for: box.
    • Tap the drop down box and select a previous operating system, then tap or click
      OK.
    • Try installing the driver and check.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue, we will be happy to help you further.

Deepika Gowda, Jun 28, 2020
Thema:

Can't get W10 to disable DWM in full-screen mode for older DX7 games

1. Can't get W10 to disable DWM in full-screen mode for older DX7 games - Similar Threads - Can't W10 disable

2. Can't get out of Full Screen mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't get out of Full Screen mode: The Edge browser in Windows 10 comes up in Full Screen mode and I haven't found a way to go back to the standard multi- Window display. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-get-out-of-full-screen-mode/69ef5ebe-185d-4354-8101-4f50ab9ac133
  3. Full screen mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Full screen mode: When im playing fifa my windows randomly exits full screen mode https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/full-screen-mode/86d6b229-11ed-4bd3-b518-c92a0dc90bc2
  4. disable full screen mode for nook app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    disable full screen mode for nook app: disable full screen mode for nook app https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-full-screen-mode-for-nook-app/9f4d37f6-d3b0-48fd-b7ef-cc032dc51cef
  5. BSOD when open games in full screen mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD when open games in full screen mode: Hey guys, yesterday I just update my windows 10 from 1809 to 1909 due to Xbox Game Pass BETA program for PC. Now I'm not able to run any game in full screen mode from steam, blizzard, riot and minecraft also. I got the BSOD with a failure on ddkmd.sys,...
  6. BSOD when open games in full screen mode

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    BSOD when open games in full screen mode: Hey guys, yesterday I just update my windows 10 from 1809 to 1909 due to Xbox Game Pass program for PC. Now I'm not able to run any game in full screen mode from steam, blizzard, riot and minecraft also. I got the BSOD with a failure on ddkmd.sys, SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION I...
  7. Disable Windows full screen mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disable Windows full screen mode: How can I get an app out of full screen mode, and prevent it from entering full screen mode in the future. I do not want any software on the PC to be able to enter full screen mode...
  8. Disable game mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable game mode: Other than Enable (and disable) Game Mode Inside your game, press Windows Key + G to open the Game Bar. This should release your cursor. Now, find the Game Mode icon on the right side of the bar as shown below. Click to toggle Game Mode on or off. Click on your game or...
  9. can't play full screen games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can't play full screen games: when I open any game i see black borders at the sides. I have Intel HD graphics display adapter and NVIDIA graphics driver installed on my laptop (everything is up to data). I tried many solutions but there is no "scale full screen" option in Intel control panel with res...
  10. Older games on W10 mess.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Older games on W10 mess.: Whenever I try to play older games like Medal of Honor (oldest ones), Return to Castle Wallenstein, Battlefield 1,2,3 etc. after exiting them, they leave a mess of my desktop, sending icons all over the place and other 2 monitors. What's even worse, they brake up my Eyefinity...