Windows 10: Can't get Windows 10 computer to sleep on its own

Discus and support Can't get Windows 10 computer to sleep on its own in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; My Windows 10 computer doesn't go to sleep on its own anymore. My hard drives spin down but the display doesn't turn off. However it will stay asleep... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Sterling R, Feb 3, 2023.

1. Can't get Windows 10 computer to sleep on its own

My Windows 10 computer doesn't go to sleep on its own anymore. My hard drives spin down but the display doesn't turn off. However it will stay asleep if I put it to sleep. It used to go to sleep on its own until I did a clean install of Windows 10 on a new SSD. Adding the new SSD is the only hardware change I made. I've tried some basic Power Settings and Device Manager changes but they didn't help. I ran a powercfg -requests inquiry and it didn't list any processes that were running. Where should I go from here?

:)

Sterling R, Feb 3, 2023
  2. Jim8080 Win User

Computer Sleep Option Missing in Settings

The Settings Power and Sleep menu in Settings should list Screen and Sleep, where Sleep is used to tell when the PC goes to sleep. Sleep is missing, so my computer never sleeps. Fast startup and Hibernate are not enabled.

I used Tutorial Add or Remove Sleep in Power menu in Windows 10 to change the registry while in administrative mode, but sleep still is not seen.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FlyoutMenuSettings now lists :1: It was 0 before the change.

Can't get Windows 10 computer to sleep on its own 347450d1633033035t-computer-sleep-option-missing-settings-image.png

I cannot get a large image, so will type
    Default REG_SZ (value not set)
    ShowHibernate REG_DWORD 0X00000000 (0)
    ShowLockOption REG_DWORD 0X00000000 (1)
    ShowLockOption REG_DWORD 0X00000000 (1)

I used Option 3 to add sleep using the Group Policy Editor. The steps seemed to work fine, but sleep is still missing.

I’m using a “new” refurbished Dell T3500 workstation with mbr running the current version of win10. I have a number of these computers, and the other all have the normal sleep mode .

Any suggestions? Jim

Jim8080, Feb 3, 2023
  3. David Haz Win User
    After Windows 10 Anniversary Update Computer Not Sleeping

Hello.

Does disabling the HID-Complaint Touch Screen driver resolves the issue? If yes, we suggest that you disable it and see if your device go into Sleep mode after a period of inactivity.

We also suggest to check if the settings of the Power Options of your device are set so that the device will go into Sleep mode after a period of time. You may follow the steps below to check is Sleep mode is enabled on your device:

• Press the Windows button + X, then click on
      Power Options.
    • Click Change when the computer
      sleeps.
    • Change the settings to your preferred settings.

Keep us updated on the results.

Regards.

David Haz, Feb 3, 2023
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Can't get Windows 10 computer to sleep on its own

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Feb 3, 2023
Thema:

Can't get Windows 10 computer to sleep on its own

1. Can't get Windows 10 computer to sleep on its own - Similar Threads - Can't computer sleep

2. Computer is restarting on its own

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer is restarting on its own: My pc has been restarting on its own around 5–10 minutes after starting up. 99% of the time, there will not be a BSOD. The pc will NOT restart if a game is running. The way I keep my PC alive is by having a game running in the background at all times. I have removed all video...
  3. Computer is restarting on its own

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer is restarting on its own: My pc has been restarting on its own around 5–10 minutes after starting up. 99% of the time, there will not be a BSOD. The pc will NOT restart if a game is running. The way I keep my PC alive is by having a game running in the background at all times. I have removed all video...
  4. Can't get Windows 10 computer to sleep on its own

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can't get Windows 10 computer to sleep on its own: My Windows 10 computer doesn't go to sleep on its own anymore. My hard drives spin down but the display doesn't turn off. However it will stay asleep if I put it to sleep. It used to go to sleep on its own until I did a clean install of Windows 10 on a new SSD. Adding the new...
  5. Can't get Windows 10 computer to sleep on its own

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't get Windows 10 computer to sleep on its own: My Windows 10 computer doesn't go to sleep on its own anymore. My hard drives spin down but the display doesn't turn off. However it will stay asleep if I put it to sleep. It used to go to sleep on its own until I did a clean install of Windows 10 on a new SSD. Adding the new...
  6. laptop sleeping on its own

in Windows 10 Gaming
    laptop sleeping on its own: hello i have an hp zbook15 and i just got its keyboard changed by a technician but when i got it back and played games o n it , it randomly started to sleep after a few minutes and the temprature is not even 90 above it is 60 plz tell me a fix i dont know if the technician...
  7. Windows 10 PC going to sleep mode on its own

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 PC going to sleep mode on its own: I built a PC last summer and all was well for the first 6 months or so. Now it has decided to start going into sleep mode after about 20 minutes of inactivity. I have tried changing all of the settings for sleep mode, screen saver, etc. without any luck. I checked in my bios...
  8. Windows 10 wake up from sleep on its own

Windows 10 wake up from sleep on its own: My laptop model is Asus x507UF and OS is windows 10. When i click to "Sleep" from start manu, it goes to sleep but after less than 2s it wake up on its own without any user interaction. What can i do now?...
  9. Windows 10 computer exits sleep mode on its own

Windows 10 computer exits sleep mode on its own: Hello, About a month ago, two completely unrelated Windows 10 desktop computers that I use (my personnal one at home and my profesionnal one at work) started to exit sleep mode on their own in the middle of the night, with no apparent reason. I know that sometimes,...
  10. Windows 10 goes into sleep on its own and won't wake.

Windows 10 goes into sleep on its own and won't wake.: Microsoft, I am very much frustrated and dissatisfied with Windows 10.I am Using the latest updated version of Windows 10(October Update).And even though I have selected Never turn my display off and never go to sleep option under power settings.,Still my Windows goes into...