Windows 10: Can’t get Windows 10 installer to run from bootable USB made via a Mac

Discus and support Can’t get Windows 10 installer to run from bootable USB made via a Mac in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I’m trying to install Windows 10 on an old Lenovo T400 via a USB stick with an ISO downloaded from Microsoft. The laptop hard drive is new and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/MCMickMcMax, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Can’t get Windows 10 installer to run from bootable USB made via a Mac

I’m trying to install Windows 10 on an old Lenovo T400 via a USB stick with an ISO downloaded from Microsoft.

The laptop hard drive is new and unformatted, The previous HDD is dead. I have no access to any other Windows machines so have made the USB installer on a Mac using first the Terminal/diskutil and secondly balenaEtcher (bootdisk maker app).

The laptop so far has either sat with a black screen & blinking cursor, or since trying Etcher I now get a screen saying ‘No valid operating system found’ on the USB device.

I made an Ubuntu USB installer with the Mac, and the PC laptop booted that fine.

I also made a CD installer of Plop Boot Manager, which boots and lets me choose to boot from the USB stick, but this still doesn’t start the Windows 10 installer.

I’ve spent a day on this and am tearing my hair out!

What else can I try to get the USB to boot?

submitted by /u/MCMickMcMax
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/MCMickMcMax, Feb 28, 2020
  2. Agility Win User

Multi-bootable USB

Hey guys from TPU, couldn't find any specific thread pertaining to the question asked on title. As mentioned, I'm trying to create a bootable USB, but with many specifics boots available.

I've been trying to create one with multiple boot device including one that enables me to run Windows 10 directly on the USB Thumb Drive but to no avail.

The list of bootable images i'm trying to create are

1. Windows 10 (A full OS running from thumb drive)
    2. Windows 10 ISO (Bootable disk image for fresh install)
    3. MemTest86+

Have tried YUMI or UUI from the website USB PenDrive Linux but as this is my first time, i don't know how am i screwing up or am doing it right.. Anyone got a rough idea on a step by step guide? Thanks!

Agility, Feb 28, 2020
  3. Windows 10 USB boot

Hi there, am not a windows 10 expert. I have a pc in the bedroom on windows 10, I messed up the bootloader trying to fix the xp on that system.

System wont boot, trying to repair via win 10 usb installer.

Downloaded the media creation tool to install windows 10 installer on usb stick. Not compatible with a host of usb sticks I have. Tried the usb sticks that others use, but I think they use rufus; as the media creation tool by win 10 does not detect the usb stick.

So quick question, the win10 machine i am trying to repair the bootloader is a win7 upgraded to win10.
    If i were to use the usb win10 installer to "repair installation" does the version of the iso downloaded via the media creation tool matter?

There is three options:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 N

Also is there a step by step instead of using rufus as I want to try an alternative method of creating a usb win 10 installer. Preferably with more compatibility.

System is a asus sabertooth 990 (r2?) with AMD phenom X 6.

Also is there any other software I can load onto the usb that can repair the bootloader easily?
    That would be the ideal alternative. Thanks

TRUELOVE95, Feb 28, 2020
  4. Can’t get Windows 10 installer to run from bootable USB made via a Mac

Creating a bootable USB windows 10

You can create a bootable copy on your Mac using unetbootin for Mac:

UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads

Download the Windows 10 ISO in macOS:

Download Windows 10 ISO Files Directly Using Your Web Browser

Select the Disk Image radio box, choose ISO, click the browse button (represented by an ellipsis …), browse to the Windows 10 ISO file then click
    Open. Chose the medium from the Type list box—in this case, your USB drive. Click in the drive list box then select your USB thumb drive. Click OK to create the bootable copy.

Can’t get Windows 10 installer to run from bootable USB made via a Mac [​IMG]

Once your bootable copy is created, you can proceed to configure your BIOS to boot from the install media then install Windows 10:

BIOS/UEFI Setup Guide: Boot from a CD, DVD, USB Drive or SD Card

Andre Da Costa, Feb 28, 2020
Thema:

Can’t get Windows 10 installer to run from bootable USB made via a Mac

1. Can’t get Windows 10 installer to run from bootable USB made via a Mac - Similar Threads - Can’t installer run

2. Cant get Windows 10 to install from bootable USB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant get Windows 10 to install from bootable USB: Im attempting to do a clean install of Windows 10 on a HP Stream 14 i downloaded windows media creation to make a bootable USB and once that was over i inserted it into my laptop HP stream 14 and get to the set up page after 3 or 4 trys after getting blue screened nearly to...
  3. Cant get Windows 10 to install from bootable USB

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cant get Windows 10 to install from bootable USB: Im attempting to do a clean install of Windows 10 on a HP Stream 14 i downloaded windows media creation to make a bootable USB and once that was over i inserted it into my laptop HP stream 14 and get to the set up page after 3 or 4 trys after getting blue screened nearly to...
  4. Cant get Windows 10 to install from bootable USB

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Installing Windows from Bootable USB

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installing Windows from Bootable USB: My laptop Razerblade base model late 2019 had an issues as everytime I tried to bootup it would result in CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED and so I cleaned and formatted my SSD and HDD through CMD and tried to reinstall Windows 10 however it came up with the error 0x800701B1 during the...
  6. Installing Win10 from a Bootable USB Made on a Mac

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installing Win10 from a Bootable USB Made on a Mac: Hello! I’m a pretty tech savvy person, which is why I decided to take on this task. I’m primarily a Mac user (I’m a graphic designer) but can work cross-platform (my day job keeps me on a machine running Win7 and I use a VM on that computer for a system running what looks...
  7. Creating a bootable USB drive from a Mac

Creating a bootable USB drive from a Mac: Hey everyone, need some help creating a bootable windows 10 USB drive with a MacBook Pro 2017 era. From what I’ve gathered I can’t use windows media creation tool, and boot camp assistant on my computer will not allow me to set my USB as the destination for the ISO files....
  8. Create a bootable USB stick via Mac?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Create a bootable USB stick via Mac?: Hello, I recently assembled a new PC, but now I need a bootable USB stick. Unfortunately I only have a Mac at home and don't know exactly how to create Windows 10 on the USB stick. I've already looked at a lot of things, but everybody does it differently. Can somebody...
  9. Creating a bootable Windows 10 USB on a Mac

Creating a bootable Windows 10 USB on a Mac: I just built my first PC after being a lifelong Mac user. I need to install Windows 10 on it so I need to create a bootable USB on my Mac to put on this new computer. I cannot for the life of me get this to work. Has anyone accomplished this recently? It seems like a big...
  10. Creating bootable USB on a Mac.

Creating bootable USB on a Mac.: I downloaded the latest ISO from Microsoft and used Unetbottin to create a bootable USB on my Mac. When I turned my PC on, I went to BIOS and it recognises the UEFI usb option and I selected it. The installation started but a few mins in ingot an error:...