Windows 10: Can't give focus to open windows from the Taskbar (?KB5005033 problem)

Discus and support Can't give focus to open windows from the Taskbar (?KB5005033 problem) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; If I have multiple windows open, in the taskbar they are collected together under one icon "File Explorer". No problem. However, since this week's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by BobSter2, Aug 14, 2021.

1. BobSter2 Win User

Can't give focus to open windows from the Taskbar (?KB5005033 problem)

If I have multiple windows open, in the taskbar they are collected together under one icon "File Explorer". No problem. However, since this week's patch Tuesday, I can no longer click on that icon to select one of them from a list and activate it. Windows just flashes up the list of available folders for a quarter of a second, then removes it again. (screenshot 1) Folders are visible/selectable using Alt+Tab, no problem. Right-clicking on the taskbar 'File Explorer' works fine. Other areas of the taskbar are fine. Launching apps from the taskbar is fine. Folders aren't pinned to the taskbar. Same result whether using mouse, trackpad or touchscreen. The problem only exists when the taskbar is positioned at the top or sides of the screen (there is no problem when it is at the bottom, screenshot 2/3). The problem occurs in W10 Home, 21H1 Build 19043.1165 / Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3530.0 ; There is no problem in 19043.1110. It would seem to be caused by KB5005033 and is reproducable - I installed Installed/removed (via WinUpdate/Macrium restore) this update a couple of times. I also installed it via the .MSU , not WU. Just in case, I also tried this SuperUser / Shell Extension Manager thing, Can't open folders, which are pinned down to the taskbar (Explorer) Hardware is Acer Laptop Swift5 laptop. i5 8250U I have faulted it out to MS. I assume that there's nothing else I can do. Could someone please advise if otherwise. thanks

:)

BobSter2, Aug 14, 2021
  2. Paolo Mag Win User

Problem with a combine taskbar icons.

Hello,

In Windows 10, you can personalize the settings of your taskbar. If there are multiple applications opened, same applications will be combined under one taskbar button. If you want to change this setting, we suggest that you follow the steps listed below:

• Press the Start button.
    • Click on the Settings app.
    • Select Personalization.
    • At the left side of your window, click on Taskbar.
    • Under Combine taskbar buttons, choose Never.

Kindly update us with the results and if you have further queries, feel free to post back.

Paolo Mag, Aug 14, 2021
  3. Problem with a combine taskbar icons.

Thanks for answering.

What you suggested is not the problem I asked for a solution.

For more understandable I've attached a figures below.

I'd like to have it in the right figure(showing the window of program not just a title)

Im sorry for my bad English, thanks in advance Can't give focus to open windows from the Taskbar (?KB5005033 problem) :) Can't give focus to open windows from the Taskbar (?KB5005033 problem) :)

Can't give focus to open windows from the Taskbar (?KB5005033 problem) 85c775b5-dc76-4dce-bb54-4b49ef906a51.png

Dark Illusionist, Aug 14, 2021
  4. Pavan_N Win User

Taskbar not working

Hi Frank,

In addition to Sumit Dhiman suggestion I suggest you to follow the link below and follow the troubleshooting steps

suggested.

Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana

The troubleshooting steps suggested in the link above applies to Taskbar too.

Do let us know if you are able to use Taskbar. Thank you.

Pavan_N, Aug 14, 2021
Thema:

1. Can't give focus to open windows from the Taskbar (?KB5005033 problem) - Similar Threads - Can't focus open

2. Windows Taskbar/focus loss isue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Taskbar/focus loss isue: Hello Windows. I am running windows 11. About 4 days ago, I ran into an issue where something would happen in my computer. While focused in a window, I would do one of two things: 1, I would use the window like normal, going about my business, or 2, I would minimize the...
  3. Windows Taskbar/focus loss isue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Taskbar/focus loss isue: Hello Windows. I am running windows 11. About 4 days ago, I ran into an issue where something would happen in my computer. While focused in a window, I would do one of two things: 1, I would use the window like normal, going about my business, or 2, I would minimize the...
  4. Problem with Update KB5005033

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problem with Update KB5005033: I am having exactly the same problem with Update KB5005033 as I had with KB5004237, see here https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/problem-with-update-kb5004237/1f65f506-7543-4a9f-aeb9-df25340b23a3I am running Windows 10 Enterprise as follows...
  5. Problems in installing kb5005033 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problems in installing kb5005033 update: I've tried many times to install this update but it is not. It gets downloaded, but it doesn't install. When i restart my computer for the update to install, it says unable to install updates undoing changes... my OS is x64 based. Any help will be highly appreciated.Thanks in...
  6. Taskbar Functions Issues Since Update 21H1 KB5005033

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar Functions Issues Since Update 21H1 KB5005033: Hey there, so I just updated Windows 10 Pro to version 21H1 KB5005033 and since then I cannot open the start menu and just begin typing a search if I currently am not on another window. Note that both of the issues I'm having only happen when my taskbar is positioned on the...
  7. Opening a new web browser window via the taskbar menu does not give it focus

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Opening a new web browser window via the taskbar menu does not give it focus: (Firstly, the "Choose A Flair" pop-up barely appears at the bottom of the screen when trying to submit a post to this subreddit using the latest version of Firefox. Why is the top field over 900 pixels? I had to change it to 500 in the DevTools just to be able to select...
  8. Taskbar And Focus assist

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar And Focus assist: Why Can't I Get The Taskbar And Focus Assist Color Back Since The Recent Windows Update ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-and-focus-assist/6fc78747-adc3-42b4-9f2c-9c2af8166653
  9. My taskbar is randomy stealing focus from things

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My taskbar is randomy stealing focus from things: It's really annoying, like, i'll be watching a youtube video fullscreen and the tasbkar will suddenly show up and a few seconds later it disappears then reappears, also when typing things into google or when even making this post it randomly stops letting me type till i...
  10. Windows 10 is not giving focus to gamebar when it is opened.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 is not giving focus to gamebar when it is opened.: A recent annoyance. When i open Gamebar, it is no longer given focus so that i cannot select options in it with a controller, and if i am in a game, i must enter the menu or chat (making it so the mouse\touch-pad no longer is used for looking in game) in order to use the...