Windows 10: Can't have two side by side folder and Desktop icon are lock in position

Discus and support Can't have two side by side folder and Desktop icon are lock in position in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I recently updated to Window 10 20H2 and now my icons are lock in the same position picture below. They were all on the left side of the screen, but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Waeyo, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Waeyo Win User

Can't have two side by side folder and Desktop icon are lock in position

I recently updated to Window 10 20H2 and now my icons are lock in the same position picture below. They were all on the left side of the screen, but now they are all over the screen. The icon are like an inch to the right of each and two inch below the other taking up all the screen space. Also when I have two folder open and want to view those two folder side by side, it doesn't work. I have two account on the computer and the other account is fine after the update.

Can't have two side by side folder and Desktop icon are lock in position 8b96cf62-91b3-4862-9722-135b47078c55?upload=true.jpg

:)

Waeyo, Nov 21, 2020
  2. gogreen Win User

Lock desktop icons positions?

I occasionally move the mouse pointer across the desktop and inadvertently drag icons to new positions. Is there a command or a feature that locks the desktop icons in place and can snap them back into position when this occurs?

gogreen, Nov 21, 2020
  3. How to lock desktop icons in place?

You can't lock desktop icons. But, as Steve suggests, you can record their positions ... and, if icons get moved, you can restore them to their saved positions.

margrave55, Nov 21, 2020
  4. Argel Obm Win User

How to prevent desktop icons from changing positions

Hi Stephen,

There are various reasons why you're experiencing the issue. Let us isolate your concern by enabling the
    Auto arrange icons option, and then disabling it to see if the issue will persist. To do this follow these steps:

• Go to the Desktop screen, and then right click anywhere.
    • Hover your mouse on View.
    • Select Auto arrange icons.
    • Restart the computer.
    • After restarting the computer, check if your Desktop icons are still in the right position after clicking the
      Auto arrange icons option.
    • If your Desktop icons are in the right position, repeat steps 1-3 to disable the
      Auto arrange icons option.
    • Customize the position of your Desktop icons.
    • Restart the computer.
    • After restarting the computer, check if the issue will occur.

We'll be waiting for your response.

Argel Obm, Nov 21, 2020
Thema:

1. Can't have two side by side folder and Desktop icon are lock in position - Similar Threads - Can't side side

2. Two applications at startup on desktop side by side

in Windows 10 Customization
    Two applications at startup on desktop side by side: I have volunteers helping with operating a video system. I have two programs that I want to open at the startup of the windows desktop that are placed side by side after signing into windows. The two programs are not the same size and shape but I don't want them to overlap...
  3. Open two windows , then put them side by side

Open two windows , then put them side by side: I want to be able to open two windows on the computer screen, then put them side by side. I have looked at all the windows 10 forums and still no luck. The answers did not match my windows 10 0/S system/ My computer is new in Jan 2021. Thanks [Original subject:...
  4. This PC icon pinned to the left side of the desktop

This PC icon pinned to the left side of the desktop: This PC icon is pinned on the left side primarily the upper corner but if the place is taken by other apps it will simply go downwards of my desktop. I am able to move it and replace it but the second I refresh or restart my laptop it goes back. It is the only icon that does...
  5. Two Sided Printing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Two Sided Printing: Ever since purchasing a WIN10 computer my HP LaserJet Pro 400 no longer prints two sided. The option is available in the printing APP but does not print two sided after selection. any ideas on fix? Thanks...
  6. two side printing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    two side printing: How do you get out of print both side command https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/two-side-printing/7f6682d9-cd59-43d1-bad3-3d5f7416706f
  7. Arranging two windows side by side

in Windows 10 Support
    Arranging two windows side by side: Windows 10 v1903 64bit.I`m having a problem trying to arrange two windows side by side,I need to do this to be able to drag and drop files from one to the other.I select the two windows I need but one just replaces the other. I never had this problem with previous versions of...
  8. Multiple desktops side by side in Ultra-Wide??

Multiple desktops side by side in Ultra-Wide??: With Ultra-wide becoming more prevalent this is a must. I want to be able to do what you can do with multiple monitors, but with a single display that is ultra-wide. Imagine being able to run a program in 'full-screen' with the benefits of a seamless border but not...
  9. Lock desktop icons positions?

Lock desktop icons positions?: I occasionally move the mouse pointer across the desktop and inadvertently drag icons to new positions. Is there a command or a feature that locks the desktop icons in place and can snap them back into position when this occurs? 86732
  10. unable to tile two explorer windows side by side

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    unable to tile two explorer windows side by side: with windows 7 it was so easy, when I had two windows open, be it word, a browser or windows explorer to chose show windows side by side......they seemed to snap together or were easily encouraged to do so. with windows 10 the two windows seem to stay over to the left of...