Windows 10: can't identify or open unknown file type

Discus and support can't identify or open unknown file type in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have run across some video files that, although tagged as MP4, cannot be played on my VLC player, KM player, or Windows Media Player. File Identifier... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by weybrew, Sep 10, 2019.

1. weybrew Win User

can't identify or open unknown file type

I have run across some video files that, although tagged as MP4, cannot be played on my VLC player, KM player, or Windows Media Player. File Identifier (File Identifier - Identify unknown files instantly) shows info as attached. Please tell me how to deal with these files so they are usable on my PC.

can't identify or open unknown file type [​IMG]

:)

weybrew, Sep 10, 2019
  2. JDC43 Win User

unknown file types

how to open an unknown file type in win10

JDC43, Sep 10, 2019
  3. Ketxxx Win User
    opening .dds files with gimp

Simply, HOW? I got the DDS plugin but the POS wont open DDS files still. Can someone give me a step-by-step rundown of how to install the DDS plugin for gimp so I know if I'm missing something?

Ketxxx, Sep 10, 2019
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Change file type association back to unknown

Here is a working solution to set a file association back to unknown, it looks a long process, but it is fairly simple

• Make sure you can see file extensions - In Windows File Explorer, on the View Ribbon check the 'File Name Extensions' box
    • Close Windows File Explorer
    • On your Desktop, right click and select 'New' - Text Document
    • Name the file xxx.bat - make sure to remove the .txt and replace it with .bat
    • Right click any .gp4 file, select 'Open With' - Choose Another App'
    • IMPORTANT - Check the box marked 'Always use this app to open .gp4 files'
    • Scroll to to bottom of the list, click 'Choose another App'
    • Scroll to the bottom of this list and select 'Look for another app on this PC'
    • Navigate to the file you created on your Desktop (xxx.bat) and click open
    • You will probably get an error trying to open the file - this is OK
    • IMPORTANT - Delete xxx.bat from your desktop

Now the file association will be set back to unknown . . .

DaveM121, Sep 10, 2019
Thema:

1. can't identify or open unknown file type - Similar Threads - can't identify open

2. Powerpoint Can't Open This Type Of File

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Powerpoint Can't Open This Type Of File: Recently used Recuva to recover a download I accidentally deleted. And every time I click on the download it shows this. I want to use the download normally again. Without having remake it or having to delete it. What should I do?...
  3. Powerpoint Can't Open This Type Of File

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Powerpoint Can't Open This Type Of File: Recently used Recuva to recover a download I accidentally deleted. And every time I click on the download it shows this. I want to use the download normally again. Without having remake it or having to delete it. What should I do?...
  4. Powerpoint can't open this type of file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Powerpoint can't open this type of file: Recently used recuva to recover a download I accidentally deleted. And everytime i click on the download it shows this just want to use the download normally. What should I do?...
  5. Powerpoint can't open this type of file

Powerpoint can't open this type of file: Recently used recuva to recover a download I accidentally deleted. And everytime i click on the download it shows this just want to use the download normally. What should I do?...
  6. Open files of varying types

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Open files of varying types: Recently, in preparation for wiping my hard drive, I saved all the things on my computer that were in my document files to Google Drive and also to a thumb drive. This included Word files, pictures, and all types of things. When I was ready to reinstall from Google Drive, all...
  7. How to identify bluetooth 'unknown device'

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to identify bluetooth 'unknown device': I have a new Windows 11 desktop computer. Everything has been updated -- operating system, drivers, etc.. When I find devices I get quite a few 'unknown devices' and ones that have strange names that aren't identifiable as anything I have, e.g., headset & speaker. This was...
  8. How to identify bluetooth 'unknown device'

How to identify bluetooth 'unknown device': I have a new Windows 11 desktop computer. Everything has been updated -- operating system, drivers, etc.. When I find devices I get quite a few 'unknown devices' and ones that have strange names that aren't identifiable as anything I have, e.g., headset & speaker. This was...
  9. Windows can't open this type of file (.doc)

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Windows can't open this type of file (.doc): That's what it claims just now. It's a .doc file created in Word 97. I have letters written in Word 97, can edit them etc. It's more of a curiosity than anything else. But why does it do this? 146571
  10. identify unknown device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    identify unknown device: hi, I performed a fresh install of w10 on my sisters HP DV6 laptop, everything works but device manager shows 1 unknown device, is there anyway to find out what it is, I've installed all the drivers from the manufacturer 66351