Windows 10: Can't Image my C: Drive. "Backup aborted failed to create volume snapshot failed 0x8004230f"

Discus and support Can't Image my C: Drive. "Backup aborted failed to create volume snapshot failed 0x8004230f" in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I already did all the support stuff from this thread... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/BasketballHighlight, Mar 29, 2021.

1. Can't Image my C: Drive. "Backup aborted failed to create volume snapshot failed 0x8004230f"

/u/BasketballHighlight, Mar 29, 2021
  2. proton Win User

Failed to Create Volume Snapshot Macrium Error 0x8004230f VSS Error

I have a full disk no other partitions on the disk. I mean one partition only.

Can't Image my C: Drive. "Backup aborted failed to create volume snapshot failed 0x8004230f" [​IMG]

I restored from a previous backup and found out that my PC was booting from Disk Zero and not the Windows disk, so had to recreated the MBR. Which seems to work now. But still have that VSS problem.

proton, Mar 29, 2021
  3. dalchina Win User

Typical UEFI installation should have these:

Can't Image my C: Drive. "Backup aborted failed to create volume snapshot failed 0x8004230f" [​IMG]

MBR - fewer

dalchina, Mar 29, 2021
  4. proton Win User

Can't Image my C: Drive. "Backup aborted failed to create volume snapshot failed 0x8004230f"

Hi,

So I upgraded my SSD from 250GB to 1TB, I used Clonezilla to clone my disk and I deleted all the extra partitions it had copied over. I assume this is where the restore or backup files were. Windows booted fine and I tried to do a backup with Paragon which failed. I thought to try a different backup software and found Macrium, so I tried with that and got an error message:

Failed: Failed - 0x8004230f - IDispatch error #8463 - Retrying without VSS Writers
    ERROR: COM call "m_pVssObject->AddToSnapshotSet((LPWSTR)volume.c_str(), GUID_NULL, &SnapshotID)" failed.
    - Returned HRESULT = 0x8004230f
    - Error text: VSS_E_UNEXPECTED_PROVIDER_ERROR
    ERROR: COM call "m_pVssObject->BackupComplete(&pAsync)" failed.
    - Returned HRESULT = 0x80042301
    - Error text: VSS_E_BAD_STATE
    ERROR: COM call "m_pVssObject->AddToSnapshotSet((LPWSTR)volume.c_str(), GUID_NULL, &SnapshotID)" failed.
    - Returned HRESULT = 0x8004230f
    - Error text: VSS_E_UNEXPECTED_PROVIDER_ERROR

I have run the VSS Fix Problems and still no luck.
    I have tried the solution here VSS Error: 0x8004231f - Failed to Create Volume Snapshot (Backup, Clone Disk, VSS) but no result. I have set the Volume Copy Shadow in Services to start automatically. Rebooted and it was started.
    I have uninstalled Paragon using Revo Uninstaller and still get the same message.
    I ran vssadmin list writers and there were no errors.
    I ran vssadmin list shadowstorage and it states - No items found for this query.

I tried to check Windows System Restore settings in Configure System Restore and get error message 0X81000203 with everything greyed out. I cannot select anything in System Protection. I cannot create a system restore point.

I assume when I deleted those other hidden partitions, something went wrong. I recreated a separate partition for the restore part of Windows but not sure if that will work for the restore to fix.

Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do to fix this problem? I just don't want to reboot into Hiren's Boot Recovery to do backups every time. I have been working on this problem for two weeks now. I assume something happened with my new SSD that has caused the problem and the fact I delete those extra hidden partitions which more than likely had the restore or system recovery on them. OS I am using is Windows 10 Education I got from uni.

proton, Mar 29, 2021
Thema:

Can't Image my C: Drive. "Backup aborted failed to create volume snapshot failed 0x8004230f"

1. Can't Image my C: Drive. "Backup aborted failed to create volume snapshot failed 0x8004230f" - Similar Threads - Can't Image Drive

2. VSS Failure: Failed to create Volume Snapshot. Result Code: 0x80042306

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    VSS Failure: Failed to create Volume Snapshot. Result Code: 0x80042306: I have an HP Laptop that was native Windows 7 upgraded to Windows 10. Now in dealing with the User running out of HD space, I was going to use Macrium Reflect to clone the SATA HD to another larger SATA HD. In working with Macrium support and after attempting to use their...
  3. VSS Failure: Failed to create Volume Snapshot. Result Code: 0x80042306

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    VSS Failure: Failed to create Volume Snapshot. Result Code: 0x80042306: I have an HP Laptop that was native Windows 7 upgraded to Windows 10. Now in dealing with the User running out of HD space, I was going to use Macrium Reflect to clone the SATA HD to another larger SATA HD. In working with Macrium support and after attempting to use their...
  4. 0x80780034 and 0X8004230F -Windows 10 Creating a Backup Image Failing on Volume Shadow Copy...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    0x80780034 and 0X8004230F -Windows 10 Creating a Backup Image Failing on Volume Shadow Copy...: I am trying to backup my Win 10 machine after having it crash 3 days ago. I want a clean install image backup so in future I will not have to reinstall and everything all the time. So I am using the Windows & Backup tool and I am getting the Volume Shadow Copy Error that...
  5. 0X8004230F -Windows 10 Creating a Backup Image Failing on Volume Shadow Copy Error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    0X8004230F -Windows 10 Creating a Backup Image Failing on Volume Shadow Copy Error: I am trying to backup my Win 10 machine after having it crash 3 days ago. I want a clean install image backup so in future I will not have to reinstall and everything all the time. So I am using the Windows & Backup tool and I am getting the Volume Shadow Copy Error that...
  6. Clone Failed -- error creating volume snapshots

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Clone Failed -- error creating volume snapshots: I've used Macrium for a couple of years to install ssd's and never had a problem. I'm on W10 for 2 computers plus 1 which is XP, and the reason I'm posting. I want to put a ssd in my old Dell 630 with XP. I d/l & installed Macrium 7.x, made a rescue disk, and tried to clone...
  7. Failed to Create Volume Snapshot Macrium Error 0x8004230f VSS Error

Failed to Create Volume Snapshot Macrium Error 0x8004230f VSS Error: Hi, So I upgraded my SSD from 250GB to 1TB, I used Clonezilla to clone my disk and I deleted all the extra partitions it had copied over. I assume this is where the restore or backup files were. Windows booted fine and I tried to do a backup with Paragon which failed. I...
  8. "Create a system image" "The backup failed"

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    "Create a system image" "The backup failed": Windows 10 Pro Build 1809 fully updated Trying to create a system image. Steps followed: File History - System Image Backup New windows opens - "Backup and Restore (Windows 7)" Click "Create a system image" Browse to external USB drive Process commences then this...
  9. Macrium fails to create a volume snapshot

Macrium fails to create a volume snapshot: A few days ago I installed Macrium Home V6 on four Win10 PCs (three Dell Desktops and a Dell laptop). Installs went well and I was able to create full and differential backups. Since Macrium was functioning correctly, I decided to uninstall Acronis True Image 2015 from all...
  10. Image backup keeps failing - Can't create restore point

Image backup keeps failing - Can't create restore point: Upgraded to Windows 10 Pro today from 8.1 Pro. Trying to do an image backup (Windows 7 style) in case my disk crashes. I keep getting this error. I have both Volume Shadow Copy service and the Windows Backup service running with automatic start. Digging a little more into...